Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 20:32

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Switching from Atkins to PP

I am thinking about switching from Atkins to Protein Power. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think I might like PP better because of the fruit. Really miss that on Atkins.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 21:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It wouldn't hurt to try... I think it's a good idea, since it helps in your transition to how you'd eat once you're not trying to lose weight. Sure, go for it! If it doesn't work, you can always "tighten the screws" again and go back to Atkins.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 06:17

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default switching

Louloo

There are the same number of carbs in a banana whether you are following Atkins or PP. Don't be fooled into thinking that PP somehow changes the metabolic/insulin science.

The majority of people "tweak" the regime once they understand the underlying principles. But what you cannot do is cherry pick the best bits out of each at the beginning.

For example adding fruit because Protein Power(PP) does not concern to much with Ketosis.... having a reward meal under Carbohydrates Addicts Diet(CAD).. and going for the snacks under The Zone.

My point is..... if you are doing Atkins induction, then complete it first. Then you can work out your protein minimum requirements and look at meal plans under PP but keep the carbs low and do not dramatically increase them all in one go. Otherwise you will undo the kickstart to your programme.

This is a forever way of eating so it is fine to get the right plan..... but for the right reasons.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 20:46

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Thanks for the info. Rustpot, I understand where you are coming from. I guess I am trying to find the best of both worlds. Have not had any problem on Atkins, but am probably looking for something a little different - more choices perhaps. Have been doing induction for 4 weeks and getting a little bored with what I can have. You are right though. I will thing about it for a while longer and plan a bit more. Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 07:35
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 170/161/155
BF:
Progress: 60%

HI,
I was on Atkins years ago and again recently for about six weeks. Switched over to Atkins as I wanted more variety in foods; especially vegetables. As stated in a previous post carbs are carbs, but one has to feel good in order to stay on a program. Accept that you will probably lose at a slower rate but be able to eat more of the foods you want and you will do okay. I do feel that this is the way to go; healthier and easier to sustain on the long run.
Allen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 16:07
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

hmmmm,
I hope to read some more posts here soon, I too am thinking about switching. I have already decided to go ahead and have 50 gms of carbs a day...but it's been more around 40...except on Sunday because I ate too much at easter dinner. I am trying to get into ketosis again. I haven't been in ketosis since January, I did gain almost 5 pounds back since I got out of ketosis. But, I never did go back to eating sweets, fruits, pasta or rice. I have had potatos a few times and rice once since the end of January.

I've only had about 10 gms of carbs so far today, and I've already had breakfast and lunch. I will have a handfull of cashews or a boiled egg for a snack later .... I'm hoping to see ketosis by Wednesday.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 13:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 222/218/160
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Atkins or PP

I just started 4 days ago and picked PP because of the fruit too, altho, as you all said, a banana is a banana......I have a question for you all....when you first starte, were you afraid to eat any carbs? I find myself at the end of the day actually having to eat some carbs because I didn't eat enough! I'm sure that will change, as my cravings come and go.....any ideas there, or has this happened to anybody else?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 17:44

Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'd done Atkins (briefly) several years ago and when I started again I tried Protein Power. I always think of Atkins as a diet, not a WOL -- my problem, not his. Protein Power seems more aimed at finding a way to eat forever that's healthy. I also find the idea of being able to have fruit exhilarating A standard snack for me is a very small apple sliced, with peanut butter. Putting raspberries and strawberries in a shake is nice too -- especially in summer.

Becca, I think your question about being afraid to eat carbs is an excellent one. I'm going to post it as another thread so it can have a discussion of its own. I'll bet it's something that a lot of people face.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 20:45
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

I've got to go check out this book. I'm not a fruit eater much at all.... but I do like strawberrys and peaches.
Cheryl
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 21:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, carb addicts
Stats: 190/176/148
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default up your carbs

I lost 20 lbs last summer and gained it back, one of the reasons was staying on induction too long. Up your carbs 5 grams to some strawberries or blueberries and stay on atkins if it is working for you.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 08:09

Stats: 260/185/185
BF:34%/20%/19%
Smile

I started with Atkins three years ago and lost 25 lbs before I switched to PP. When I started low carbing my goal was to lose weight. Under the Atkins plan, I thought eating food such as sausage, pork roasts, grain feed beef, and soft cheeses were just fine. Shortly after the first year of low-carbing my goal shifted to eating more nutritious and healthful foods. I visited the International Center for Metabolic Medicine two years ago. Dr. Rosedale counseled me in great length on essential oils, milk products, proteins and the role insulin plays in our health and longevity. Now days, the eggs I eat are high in omega 3 oils, I eat more fish, grass feed beef, use lots of olive oil and take supplements including cod liver oil. Here are a few of my experiences.

After a year on the Atkins plan:
I never went into ketosis even when consuming less than 10 carbs a day.
My fasting insulin level was at 18.
My HDL was at 48.
My weight was at a plateau of 230-235.

After switching to Protein Power:
My fasting insulin level dropped to 9 after the first six months (presently ~ 5).
My HDL rose to 62 with out any increase in exercising.
My weight went down another 45 lbs. within the next twelve months (presently stable for a year ~ 185).

Good health, jfo
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 170/161/155
BF:
Progress: 60%

JFO,
You had great results; however it seems to me that the
fabuolus improvement was due not just to the switch from
Atkins to Protein power, but what you consumed. What you are describing you could have consumed on Atkins and maybe your numbers would have been better. With that said, I am a true believer in Protein Power versus Atkins. I just feel that there is
more emphasis on the vegetables. Also the omega 3's and hence one eats more fish. I eat very similar to you and fell pretty
good. If you look back at past posts of mine while doing Atkins I was really suffering. Tired , headaches, probably depression.
Shouldn't have to be. Good luck and stay healthy!
Allen
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 07:22

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 134/116/115
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default PP versu Atkins

I am going to try Protein Power and wondered if anyone could post some of their menus. I have only lost 2# on Atkins so I want to try something else to see if it helps.
sallyd
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 08:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Hello sallyd!

Here is a list of people who use Protein Power. On click will take you to their journals where you will get an idea of what they eat. Don't be surprised! They are all highly individualized. No one follows it the same way.

You may be doing fine on Atkins. The general rule of thumb is approximately 10% loss during induction, and 5% per week afterwards if all goes well. You may be eating a combination of foods that is not suitable to you, not eating enough, not drinking enough water, have a history of yo-yo dieting...

No matter what plan you're following, it sooner or later has to be tweaked.

razzle
Natrushka
Doreen T
Karen

Combination Users

Erin4980
bsayne

Former Users

alto

Karen
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 10:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

my 2¢

Protein Power is more than just Atkins + more carbs like fruit or bread.

Atkins is more than just a lower carb version of Protein Power. Many people are mistakenly under the impression that Atkins is 20 grams of carbs forever. It's not ... Induction level is intended for 2 weeks ... 14 days. If people progressed to OWL as they should, potentially the level of carbs can be higher than the 30g per day of Protein Power (or 40g per day PP Lifeplan).

The basic principles of Protein Power, beyond the carb level are:
  • a minimum amount of protein is to be consumed daily ... and a minimum amount of protein is to be consumed at each meal.
  • planned snacks will contain protein, not just carbs and/or fat
  • the daily carb allotment is to be evenly distributed among the day's meals and snacks.
During the first phase of either PP or PPLP, the maximum carbs per meal or snack is 7 - 10 grams ECC. There's no room for an apple or banana or other high carb fruit. A small apple has 18g effective carbs. A small banana 28g ECC. At transition level, when you're close to maintenance, the carbs are at 12 - 18g ECC per meal. Also, when fruit or other all-carb food is chosen, eg, bread, one must ensure to consume protein along with it.

Atkins really only looks at the overall carb intake for the day. The Eades stress that you cannot "bank" carbs. It doesn't work that way. From the PP FAQ's page:
Quote:
Do I have to spread my carbohydrates around throughout the day or can I just save them all up and eat them all at once?

You really can’t save them up, unfortunately. Carbohydrates have an expiration date with each meal. There’s a metabolic impact to eating carbohydrates.

If you eat 10 grams of carbohydrate, you’re going to raise your insulin a little bit. If you eat 20 or 30 grams you’re going to raise it more. If you’ve saved up all 40 grams throughout the day and you eat them all at one time, you’re going to have a metabolic impact-your insulin is really going to go up. When that happens, it’s like climbing right back on the insulin roller coaster-up goes the insulin, down goes the blood sugar, and then up goes the hunger and the cravings. You really do yourself more harm than good when you try to save up carbohydrates and use them all at one time.

If you plan to eat a little bit more carbohydrates than normal, the time to do it is in the morning.

Insulin receptors are more effective in the morning than they are later in the day. They actually move sugar out of the blood more quickly with less insulin.
Some folks choose to follow the Protein Power principles listed above, but at the lower Atkins Induction level of carbs. But, if what you want is to "do Atkins" but also eat high-carb fruit (or bread or beans or ... whatever) then you should stick to Atkins, follow the guidelines of OWL for gradually upping carbs .. then incorporate the carby food into your daily plan. However, you need to be aware that consuming a larger amount of carbs at once will have consequences on your insulin and blood sugar levels, which could trigger cravings and thwart your fat loss efforts. It's a YMMV thing though .. you need to try it on and see what works for you.

Doreen