Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 03:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263.5/247.5/150
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Depressed....

I was very depressed today when I went to do my Curves workout and all I saw were skinny women. I'm talking 120-130 lb women talking about how they are dieting because they want to loose weight. I couldn't help but feel bad about it, I have so much to loose, if I only had their weight problem I would be more than happy. I talked to my husband about it, he told me that just because they are skinny it doesn't mean they are healthy. It really got to me, I guess the important thing is that I'm trying to fix the problem. My "diet" is going just fine, I'm getting into my 8th day of induction and have not cheated. We went to dinner last night and even though the buttered rolls smelled like heaven I did not touch them. Instead I ate pot roast, minus potatoes and carrots, and some steamed broccoli. It was pretty good. I try to visualize how will I look once I loose all unwanted weight, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Thanks for letting me whine.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 04:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Hi MrsTweety

Sorry to hear you had a rough day. We all get them along the way, especially if we start comparing ourselves to others. We are all individuals, have our own challenges and dreams.

If I could offer one bit of advice, it would be to take pride in your own individual accomplishments. You've already lost 5 pounds in 8 days. That's terrific. Just think, a year from now you will be thinner and healthier, and I bet those ladies at the health club will still be wresting with their "weight issues" You , on the other hand will have accomplished so much more than they. You've found Low Carb. I bet they haven't, and I bet they will be fighting those same few pounds the second and third time over.

It's not about how much you have to lose, but about how you lose it to make it say off forever, and how healthy your body is because of it.

Hang in there kiddo.

ps. whining is always welcome. It helps to let off steam and vent.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 09:52

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

If those women are that skinny and fixated on dieting, they may have body image problems or possibly eating disorders. Don't envy that! Can you imagine spending your whole life looking just fine but still trying to meet some impossible goal (that you keep changing when you reach it, cuz it somehow hasn't quelled the voices that tell you you're not okay)? Brrr--what a horrible way to live.

It's not all that useful to compare ourselves to others, but if you must, compare yourself by imagining a day when you're in regular sizes, wearing something fashionable, and around new people, and they have no idea how hard you worked to get your body size there or keep it there. Imagine the quiet strength it gives you to have this amazing secret.

The buttered rolls may have smelled like heaven, but they're not. Nor is being fat a very heavenly feeling. Good for you for passing them up!

These early days off carbs can be very difficult--the brain chemistry changes alone make us whiny for awhile. And then we can't treat our emotional distress with comforting carbs as we have for many years, so we have to actually feel it full-blast. Yikes! So whine away, cry, rail, whatever it takes. No need to apologize, as far as I'm concerned.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 14:32
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I'm talking 120-130 lb women talking about how they are dieting because they want to loose weight. I couldn't help but feel bad about it, I have so much to loose, if I only had their weight problem I would be more than happy.

The difference between you and them is you are learning a totally sane process and they are not sane.

Celebrate your sanity and every little accomplishment and breakthrough you have on your way to health.

You don't really want to be like them. They will never be able to celebrate the way you will.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 17:36

BF:

Thank you for your encourament. I know that I will eventually meet my goal, and that the process to get there will make me a stronger woman. One who knows that goals can be accomplished. Thanks again for your support.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 17:58

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Induction Blues

I wish I could say that the process of remodeling the body was not frustrating. It is d*m**d frustrating! We could start a collective whinge club if we put our minds to it.

I deliberately did not say losing weight or dieting. I now do not consider myself to be "on a diet". In fact actual weight loss for me has been stalled for a few weeks, gaining and losing the same pound for a while. But I feel good and I am not turning back.

It some ways the pounds lost on induction are a false dawn, the rate cannot be sustained. Looking at the mountain to climb is so daunting that the mind boggles. But speed is not the end result.

Last Sunday saw the London marathon race and it was run in a record time by remarkable athletes. But the biggest support was for the "runner" who came last he became a national hero. He walked the marathon for charity, with a disability and in full deep sea diving gear complete with lead boots. It took him five days and he recorded the slowest time for any marathon in the world. But he made it and got his finishers medal.

You will make it. But you must expect it to be a bumpy road and remember you are starting with lead boots.

I just know you have a sense of humour. Anyone who calls themselves MrsTweety must have either seen the movie Chicken Run or is pathologically afraid of puddy cats. Smile often, the slim thin gym fanatics are so deadly serious. It is a well known fact that you cannot smile broadly and mean it and remain depressed.

Now have I told you the joke about the bishop and the actress?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 18:17

Stats: 165/-/130 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default re: the skinny ones

Just wanted to tell you a little story that happened to me a while back. When I was at my highest weight, I was unsuccessfully dieting using low fat foods. I remember complaining to a co-worker about how hard it was to lose weight. I am a really short person, and to me she seemed so tall and well proportioned, with her long legs, and high waist. She always looked so good! Just right, in my mind.

She said something to me like, " What are you dieting for? To me, you look like a model. I wish I could be as small as you are." It really turned my mind around. I knew that at that time, I was at least 50 lbs. above the weight that I had maintained in my twenties, (my goal weight). How could I look skinny to her?? I felt fat, frumpy, and ugly.

I think what I'm trying to say is that some of those skinnier people you saw may also be on their own weight loss/ health journey and know exactly how you are feeling right now.

Someone who is much bigger in size than you may be looking at you with envy and thinking about how they wish they could be as small as you are.

It's funny how we all use others as our yardstick, and wish to be more slim/ tall/ short/ pretty/ smart/ rich/ talented/ as "they" are. I guess the message a person can take away from it is that we really don't have to.

Love yourself for all the great things that you do have going your way, like your obvious determination, (being on a low carb plan) physical ability, ( working out) and intelligence, (being at this forum.)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 18:52

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Wink

Hey, you just hang in there. Don't worry about other people. This is something you are doing for you!! It will take awhile, but think of what you will feel when you are 130 lbs. and it will happen!!!! Best of luck.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 08:05

BF:

Thank you for your support. Its great coming to a forum where the members actually care about each other. I will follow your advice and not make comparisons. Thanks again.