Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 50/50/50
BF:
Progress: 20%
Arrow The REAL Deal about Crystal Light?

Ok, I've been searching on the boards for info about CL but keep coming up with ambigious explainations. The question is mainly for my wife because she seems to crave sweet drinks not carbs so much.

We are both, as of this moment, starting our 6th day of Induction and we just started having Crystal Light yesterday because someone told us they had it on Atkins. I've found stuff on the boards that says Citric Acid is a "potential staller?" and from reading the label on the CL it says it has Aspartame AS in it which I know Dr. Atkins does not recommend but I forget why he said that.

Can anyone give me a clear-cut answer to this question:
Is Crystal Light a good idea on Induction?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially from one of the Admins.

Thanks, fuze
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 14:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: The REAL Deal about Crystal Light?

Quote:
Originally posted by fuze
Can anyone give me a clear-cut answer to this question:
Is Crystal Light a good idea on Induction?

No, it's not. Crystal Light is made with Aspartame - it's not permitted on Induction. You may have splenda but only in restricted quantities. This is a new rule for Induction (December 2001).

Many people have problems with artificial sweeteners (AS) - just the fact that they taste sweet can cause a rise in insulin in some. They can set off cravings for the real thing. So, yes, they are potential stallers. Theres an article under Low Carb Tips called "Artificial Sweeteners" you should have a read through.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 23:29
Registered Member

Stats: 50/50/50
BF:
Progress: 20%

THX Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 00:13

Plan: Modified DANDR with BFL
Stats: 215/170/155 Female 5'6"
BF:gonna/bea/hardbody
Progress: 75%
Thumbs up NO ASPARTAME, or is there......

JUST FYI- Dr. Atkins only restricts aspartame because of the recent controversy about it's safety. Sweet & Low and Splenda are o.k. I used aspartame on induction but only in sugar free jello. I don't think Dr. Atkins restritcs it for any other reasons. If he did I don't think saccharin or sucralose would be allowed.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 05:37
Registered Member

Stats: 240/234/130 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default This is only from my experience

I just noticed last night that it seems since I added sugarfree drinks into my diet such as diet 7-up and Crystal Light and Sugarfree Tang, that I have slowed down. I was doing really great but I have stayed in the same place for about 4 days now and I am wondering if that isnt the reason because it is the only thing I have done differently. I personally am going to cut back and see if it helps and then I will know. But for yourself, try it and see, if you too stall out then eliminate it. Not everyone is the same. I am sure someone else will write and say that they drink it all the time with no problems.

Jenni
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 06:24

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Plain ole water is best

Simple and plain water is best. I believe Aspartame was a big factor in my 3or 4 month stall. Chucked them all out now. Sticking to boiled water. Sometimes add a few grains of green-tea which is excellent for detoxifying.

Take care.