Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 08:56

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 308/238/147
BF:
Progress: 43%
Talking

Hiya Jess,

I've been on Atkins since 29.12.01 and I have managed to lose around 70lbs, it's been hard and I've fallen off the wagon more times than I'd really care to admit, but as every one else has told you don't let it get you down, you can do and I know you will. Good luck and don't feel like a failure you're just human

Hugs and best wishes

Anna

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 11:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/124/126
BF:
Progress: 106%

You're not a failure...lotsof us slip up sometime....(i did over Easter !)...just start again and take it one day at a time

#18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 16:56

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking So what?

So, maybe you are a failure...in the short run...so what? What truly determines a failure is not getting back up after falling down and just laying there in your sweat. One of the greatest "failures" I ever remember was at a 10,000 meter race. The guy leading was tripped by the guy right behind him. His leg got cut really bad. He fell down and got all scraped up and layed there for a long time holding his leg. Everybody felt real bad. Poor guy. Just when he seemed to have the race in the bag, and all. We expected him to limp off the field to his trainer and fall into his arms, sobbing. But, instead, after a while he got back up, just as they were coming around and the the guy who tripped him had to jump over him to keep running. That guy went on to win the race. But, I'll bet not one person who saw that race can remember the guy who won. But not one of the thousands 2who watched will ever forget the way that "loser" got back up and with his leg bleeding profusely, ran another 1000 meters in dead last place. We were on our feet cheering like wild animals when he limped across the finish line and crumpled into a pile of pain and anguish a few yards beyond. He had run the race of his lifetime. It was the most inspiring thing I ever witnessed. It taught me that you're not a loser, or a failure if you get back up and make your supreme effort to finish the race.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 06:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/119/108 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Be gentle with yourself

I SOOOOO relate to your panic! I also have an eating disorder (combined anorexia/bulemia - what a combo ). After rehab and a LOT of therapy, I have come to realize that one thing that is common among those of us with Eating Disorders is that we are perfectionists and we make mountains out of molehills when it comes to JUDGING ourselves.

I just wanted to send you a hug. I am a newcomer, so I am sure others have better practical advice, but I did want to share some of my relevant experience with you.

Take care,

Laura
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 16:45
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/BFL
Stats: 195/177/150
BF:30%/27%/21%
Progress: 40%

I, too, switched after a year on CAD to Atkins. Back then I didn't understand about stalls, plateaus, etc. I found Atkins to be too extreme (especially the way I was doing it with fat fasts) and I started cheating little by little until I gained everything back and more.

I started on PP last fall, finding it be more structured than CAD, but more lenient than Atkins. Last week I had my first bout of uncontrollable cravings and gave in by eating a Krispy Kreme. Oh, that experience was invaluable.

*I learned that I felt like crud (sleepy, weak, shaky) after eating that much sugar.
*I learned that the cravings began because I hadn't been eating enough (proteins and healthy carbs) in the days leading up to the event.

I have been much more diligent about planning meals this week. Donut day is coming again this Friday, so wish me luck!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 13:05

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking It's true!!!

Honestly, if you can really stick to your high protein eating for about a week, your cravings deminish, termendously! I went to an all-staff all-day meeting at a convention center, yesterday, and they had a catered lunch, apple pie and ice cream, all the soft drinks you could ever ask for, doughnuts, rolls, bagels, you name it, they had it...and in the afternoon they gave everybody a big bag of peanuts and a package of Cracker Jacks...I didn't even feel deprived when I sat and ate my cold roast beef and veggies! I know that sounds hard to believe, but it's true! I didn't even want the stuff.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 15:29
Registered Member

Stats: 251/236/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Cool Been there, done that...got a t-shirt

I have fell off the wagon so many times, I have trouble remembering what the wagon looks like!

I am going back on induction tomorrow as well as starting BFL. I started at 235 and I am at 221 now. I feel good about what I ahve done so far and I know it will work again for me.

So, don't despair. Keep at it.

Techgirl
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 16:06

Stats: 152/136/125
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Re: Thank You

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jess188
[B]Thank you all for your replies. I know I want this to work. I went out and bought the grocieries and everything. I know I have trigger foods that if I eat one bite..it almost surefire starts a binge. Ice cream is that food. <snip>

Hi Jess!

One thing that has helped me is to find my triggers. I know that whenI'm feeling sad/deprived/pms I crave smooth and creamy things.. Ice cream is a huge one for me. If I fought the craving for TEXTURE I'd crash and pig out on something I'd regret later. I found I could feed the texture craving-- that emotional eating by making a creamy substitute. I whip neufachetel with heavey cream, vanilla and Splenda. You can add lemon juice to taste. I've also skipped the splenda and used a bit of crystal light drink powder... there is enough sweetener that you don't need to ad the Splenda.

The only downfall to this is keping my kids and the hubby out of it! They want it as much as ice cream. I spoon it into a wine glass and it looks heavenly.

Good luck!

Gail