Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 08:52

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 245/230/150
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Not doing so well

I went to the doctor and he suggessted I not do the Atkins diet anymore. Due to my health. So after being on this low carb diet for a month I have to quit. I am not quitting on dieting, I am going to switch to more of a weight watchers diet. Watching my calories and my fat. Surely I will still lose weight. I will check in every once in a while and see how you guys are doing. Good luck everyone!!!

Susan from Indy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 09:19

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Don't be so upset, there will be sunshine after the rain. Your doctor would know best. So go on your doctors orders and take another route to your success. You will succeed whether it be on low-carb or weight watchers. Anything is possible. Stay positive and shoot for the stars. All the best to you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 10:05

BF:

Thank you for you kindness... I am determined to lose weight no matter what. I do feel however that I have a phobia now against carbs. Hopefully this will go away. I almost feel like someone who is anorexic that is afraid to eat. I never did get up past 5 -8 gms a day, so maybe that had something to do with my health. Thanks again for your support and kindness. Good luck to you
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 10:14

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

best of luck to you!

Instead of being phobic about carbs, just avoid sugar and processed grains (flours, that is, and corn meal, cereals, that sort of thing)--these are the worst carbs for your health, the highest GI, and we can certainly live forever without them!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 10:31
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

The Dr. may not know best, but if you were following the plan incorrectly, it might have given you problems, can't tell at this late date. Whatever you do, keep your good habits, drinking water, eating healthy greens, exercise. Take that low-fat nonsense with a grain of salt. After all, it has only been done for 30 years or so, and it hasn't improved most people's health. You need essential fatty acids to live and function normally. Make sure you don't starve on a low cal, low fat diet! The weight will just come back when you start to eat "normally" again.

You could read Protein Power and The Schwartzbien Principle just for research. You might be able to find them at the library.

5-8 carbs a day was not what Atkins planned on, you need those greens in your diet to keep you healthy. Keep taking vitamins!

Good luck,

Elihnig
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 17:49

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Indy...instead of quitting completely, why not try something like Dr. Bernstein's diet which drops you to 30 grams of carb per day without any induction. I've been doing that with a lot of success. Still...if you feel that Weight Watchers is a better option for you, go for it...and keep in touch to let us know how you're doing!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 07:45

BF:

Thank you maybe I will try his diet. Where do I find that diet is there somewhere on the internet that I can get information?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 07:59

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Indy I am curious as to what health issues. You had only been on the diet for less than a month so surely the problem wasn't caused by the diet alone. That isn't really long enough for your body to have made any changes. Could it have been a pre-existing condition?

If it is too personal to go into then don't But I am just curious as to how being on a diet less than a month caused health issues. I know my doctor made the comment of "I hope you aren't going to be one of those thin people that drop dead due to clogged arteries". That was before he saw my bloodwork I think even he is amazed at how normal it is, when consuming 70 percent fat.

FYI 8 grams is pretty low on a daily basis. I mean if Dr Atkin's wanted us to go that low he would have made the limit that low

Let us hear from you on how you do.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 08:32

BF:

Its kinda personal as to my health, but I just think I never did the diet right from the beginning. Not drinking enough water, not eating enough calories, enough carbs so on and so on. I dont feel like I even lost very much weight. The scale says I did, but I don;t feel it or see it. I would like to do this diet, because obviously it works maybe I just need to read the book better.
Talk later,

Bye Bye
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 14:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Dr. Bernstein has a book on the market called "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" by Robert Bernstein, MD. It's worth picking up and reading. There are also a lot of other low carb plans out there as well like Protein Power, the Zone, The Schwarzbein principle and several others. If you don't do low carb correctly, it could wind up causing you problems. Most people I talk to that claim they tried low carb and it made them sick weren't doing it properly once I ask them a few questions about what they were doing. The biggest mistake is thinking that if 20 grams of carb per day is good, then less must be better....not so. Your body needs SOME carbs to function properly and it's very bad to put yourself on a very low carb intake for an extended time. It's also important to drink the water because your body disposes of the ketones produced by fat metabolism through your kidneys. Once you feel better, give it a try again and make sure that you read the book and follow it exactly. Good luck!