Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 17:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/232/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:Yes, unfortunately
Progress: 32%
Post Greetings from North Vancouver

Hello,

I just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Theresa, and I have recently started low carbing - to be totally honest, I did try LC a year ago, but life got in the way (truthfully, my coping techniques with life got in the way). Anyway, I am very committed to doing this. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and have been dealing with this. Also, a year ago I had some bloodwork done, really for an allergy, but you know how it goes, you get work done for one thing, and something totally different shows up Anyway, it turns out that my triglycerides are high - I mean really high! Apparently this puts me in a high chance for pancreatitis. I work with patients who experience pancreatitis, it's not something that I would like to experience - really painful.

Anyway, I just returned to my GP a week ago and got my bloodwork done again. I should be getting the results this week - one good thing about working in a hospital is that I can get my results ASAP. Anyway, I have been really lucky because both of my doctors agree with me about low carbing - they think that it has it's benefits and that I fit into the profile of someone who this way of life is recommended for. I have been doing lots of research regarding what to eat, exercise, etc. and I know that this is for me.

When I did this for a couple of weeks a year ago, everything felt great - lots of choice, great food, etc. My husband is very supportive - even though he won't give up his rice!!

After trying almost everything else, including Weight Watcher's (where I was very miserable!), I know that this is how I should be eating.

Here's hoping that the weight comes off quickly and without too much pain

Theresa

PS - can anyone in the Vancouver area tell me about where to get some good pork rinds. I can only find them at Superstore, and they're not very good - kind of greasy and not a lot of flavor. Also, any other good finds would help out. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 17:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Theresa. I used to have one up on you: I worked in a hospital lab. Didn't even need a doctor's order - we'd get rather bored on the midnight shift. (Sadly, this boredom often led to trips to the vending maching.)

I think the key to successful LCing is finding an alternative to carb-binging as a coping mechanism (for those of us who are compulsive eaters.) Fortunately, it's been easy for me because I'm not remotely hungry for that stuff anymore. Now, I try to journal when I'm stressed instead of chowing down.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 18:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Theresa,
Welcome to the forum!
Yes, I've also seen some nasty cases of pancreatitis - a pretty good incentive to get the old act together!
You're obviously well motivated and psyched, that's a great start.
You might want to think about starting a journal here - see Tamarian's "sticky" at the top of the page for info.
Also, have a look at the orange bar at the top of the page. I found "Low Carb Tips" to be especially helpful.
Good luck to you, Theresa. Post often so we can get to know you more and help you on your way.
Cheers.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 19:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Greetings from North Vancouver

Quote:
Originally posted by tlawson

PS - can anyone in the Vancouver area tell me about where to get some good pork rinds. I can only find them at Superstore, and they're not very good - kind of greasy and not a lot of flavor. Also, any other good finds would help out. Thanks!

Welcome aboard.

Karen loves the ones from China Town.

For other goodfinds, click on the LC yellow pages link to the right, and do a search for BC.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 19:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/268/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Wink What a nice name!

Hi Theresa,

Welcome! I'm a Theresa with an "h" too! You've got a lot of support here, so keep dropping in. This was one of the best sources of info and support that I have found in my 12 days on LC.

Best wishes to you for success!