Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 22:02

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 245/197/205
BF:
Progress: 120%
Smile Question about fastfood and carbs.

Hi guys, I'm new to the board, so forgive me if this is not posted in the correct forum, etc. I'm curious about fast food restaurant burgers, such as wendys or macdonalds. I remember reading in protein power that you may eat burgers there but, obviously, just dont eat the buns. My question is, there must be still other ingredients besides the meat, such as soy beans, so does this still comply with the diet rules for carb intake?

One other thing, I have to say the worst thing about this diet is the "dieter's sabatage" you experience from friends and family. They just do not seem to grasp the concept of the diet and are telling me the usual.. it wont work.. even if it does, all the weight will come back.. blah blah blah, as well as offering me high carb and sugar foods. when will they ever learn? Just thought I would add that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 01:41

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm concerned about the fillers and other things in the meat as well. Several of the chains at least advertize "all beef" patties and I would think they would be opening themselves up to lawsuits (at least in THIS country) if they had fillers in them.

I've found that I do very well on the LC Wendy's routine and so I usually just go there. Stick with what works.

I would also imagine that there wouldn't be enough fillers to really cause problems unless that is your main dining fare day after day.

As far as the family sabotage - I've actually be very lucky. Luckier than I though I would be. Of course, being a loner and not having much in the way of friends or family certainly helps in this area.

The one thing that I do see to not be able to get across is that this is a permanent WOL for me. Several times my dad and stepmom have referred to "after your diet" when I can have all the things I am "doing without" now and I have to repeat once again to them, "There is no "after" this diet. This is not a "diet". This is how I will be eating for the rest of my life. And that's okay because I enjoy this way of eating." They are finally catching on that I am serious about this. But, even though the permanence has been difficult for them to grasp, they have been fully supportive since about the second or third week.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 08:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I don't tend to eat at fast food places anymore and when I do, I tend to get the salad. I have, on occasion, ordered a burger and just tossed the bun. Atkins also says to beware of the ketchup (loaded with sugar) and any "special sauces" (also loaded with sugar) that they put on the burgers. Lettuce, mayo and tomato are all fine. A good choice would also be to order a grilled chicken sandwich and toss the bun.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 09:31

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi there! I have found that Wendy's has a wonderful salad called BLT Chicken Salad. It has grilled chicken, cheese, bacon, and mixed greens and tomatoes, cucumbers...just be careful about the dressing. At Burger King, I order the Grilled Chicken sandwich, toss the bun and order the side salad. Boston Market has a side salad that is too yummy...along with their roasted chicken and steamed vegetables. They have become my favorite place to go. Not that I'm able to do fast food that much, but it's good to know where to go and what is great low carb fare.

You know Bill, it's hard to consider changing this WOE after all the research one does on this WOL. I still have to struggle against chocolate. But I find myself thinking all this Easter candy is "poisin", not that I'm not tempted. But I can't imagine eating candy and desserts with abandon like I used to. I think once I get down to my desired weight, I might be able to splurge slightly at times, but not as a normal WOE. So yes, I do plan on eating this way for life. One thing I find interesting....I'm reading "Life Without Bread" right now. I just read a portion that suggests that eating low carb actually corrects insulin resistance. They glucose tested 7 people and recorded how they reacted to the glucose. Before low carbing...definite signs of hyperinsulinism. After just several months of low carbing, their reactions to the glucose was closer to normal than before. This gives me hope, that we are correcting the imbalances of a life of carb addiction.

I'm thankful that my family is supportive about this WOL for me. I know they've all been concerned because of my weight. So they see this is working for me. The proof is the weight loss. It's been eight months for me and I continue to shrink. Not terribly fast, but I am shrinking. So they are happy for me and some are even trying it themselves. Victoria
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 12:27

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I agree about this WOL correcting insulin resistance over time. Not only have various authors indicated this, it also makes sense. Insulin resistance is caused by cells in your bodies becoming resistant to insulin in response to a chronic oversupply of it. The are essentially turning down their gain with regards to insulin.

Well, if they can adapt in response to a chronically high supply of insulin, then they should be capable of adapting to a chronically low supply of insulin as well. Of course, within reason and assuming that permanent damage hasn't been done in the past.