Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 11:16

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%
Default Worried About Wine

This WOL is really suiting me and I'm not having any problems or cravings (I stalled a while back so I cut out so much cheese). I really want to have a couple of glasses of red wine on the weekends - I can calculate the carbs accordingly so I can keep within my carb/calorie limit, however, I'm nervous of the wine causing stalls as well. I know vodka, rye, gin, etc have no carbs, but I don't like hard liquor. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 12:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%
Default wine one weekends...

I also love great red wine, and I have decided if I want to have a glass on the weekends that I can. It doesn't kick me out of ketosis, but it probably stalls me a bit. I don't really care though, as long as I am committed to losing weight I am not going to worry about how long it takes me to get there. As long as you can keep the cravings under control (just keep thinking "wine and cheese, wine and cheese), I think it is up to you.

Regards,

Shelly
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 14:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

My suggestion is, once U get real comfortable with this WOL and U choose to have a couple glasses of red wine then do it. Make sure U dont allow yourself to feel guilty about it and be prepared that U may become hungier because of the wine. It likely shouldnt stall your weight loss too much and if it does then save the wine for special occassions.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 16:24

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Red wine is fine

Atkins is coming round to the idea but Eades(Protein Power) is up for a glass or two.

Quote from Protein Power

"Several recent studies have shown wine(particularly red wine) to be an effective agent for increasing the body's sensitivity to insulin.... it not only doesn't hurt to add wine to our regimen; it actually helps"

keep it in you carb count 1oz is 1-1.5grams carb.

Conversely spirits may raise insulin and impair sensitivity if consumed in more than modest quantities. Alcohol mimics shhugar and the body absorbs it firshht,.. hic.. and then as it absorbs more and more the barmaid gets more and more beaut..beuty ...beaty hic.. pretty and then .WHY AM I TALKING SO LOUD...and which way is the westwoom..wesrooom....never mind Im going home... Its a long way to tipperary its along way to...
yes Occifer what a nice flashin light on your car ..do you know how many carbs in your donut.......
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 20:51

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Unhappy

I had a couple of glasses of wine after doing induction for 3 weeks. Still kept within my carb allowance. Was OK for the next day, but day after that gained two pound while still eating what I had every other day. Can only relate to the wine. Perhaps my system does not allow for wine!! Only a thought.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 06:49
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 120/115/110
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

Lucky me, I have yet to give up my favorite white wine and yet I'm losing FAT. 1 month so far and my stomach is flatter (although still flabby) and I feel so much better in my clothes! Just yesterday a friend even ask if I had been working out! She said my arms looked soooo toned! And no, I have NOT been working out! I am lucky cause I really don't have much to lose and I'm not in a great hurry. I just feel this is the right diet for anyone who was a carb junkie like me and needs to get rid of the upper body fat and bloat that carbs cause. Sure, the wine may slow down the fat burning process, but once it is out of your system, the fat burning begins again. Just my thoughs.
Tiffy