Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 23:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/153/140
BF:
Progress: 35%
Lightbulb salad dressing

would it be better to use say for instance red wine vineger and olive oil for a salad than to use your regular salad dressing? I was curious because of some of the confusion on carb counts and sugar in the salad dressing.
thanks for any help
daisy92
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 23:39

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

From a carb content standpoint, the vinegar and olive oil dressing is clearly the better choice. But that is not all there is to be considered - taste counts. You need to find something that you at least don't mind consuming and, if possible, enjoy consuming. Otherwise it will always be a battle to continue.

DANDR's guideline on dressing is that it should have fewer than 2g of carbs per serving. So don't even consider one that has more while on Induction. If you are off Induction, then you can raise that limit appropriately. Remember that the goal is to spend the vast majority of your carb allowance on good vegetables.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 11:22
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up salad dressing

Thank you for the reply i love vineger and olive oil on my salads so this is clearly the better choice for me. I just wanted tomake sure i wasn't taking in more carbs by doing this so this turned out to be a great thing thanks!!!!!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 15:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Daisy...

Olive oil does not contain any carbs and the only vinegar that I'm aware of that contains carbs is Balsamic vinegar, so enjoy our salad with vinegar and oil!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Daisy

For a switch, try some of Paul Newman's Own. He makes one with olive oil and vinegar that is really good.

Also check the carbs, there are others that are also good and low in carbs. Marie's blue cheese is good. Remember it says less than one here in the US, it could still have some, but do you really worry about less than one? I wouldn't if I was only eating one serving.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 17:24
Registered Member

BF:
Default reply

that is great news about the vineger and oil because i love the way it tastes and thanksfor your suggestions everyone it helped out a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!