Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 288/270/150
BF:
Progress: 13%
Smile 20 mins. and I'm done menus

I need some menus that I can do without staying in the kitchen too long, and also that I can do without going to the store to buy food that is too exotic, or expensive. I have a low food budget and thats what got me into this weight problem to begin with pasta, and rice are cheap, and I can make 101 dinners with them
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 13:44

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

It is true that the LC WOE tends to be more expensive - especially to those that have made the effort to really trim their food budget. For those of us that were hardcore fast food junkies, we have often seen out food costs go down.

At some point we have to accept that the added cost is basically a necessary medical expense. And if it lets you get of medication or avoid medications in the future, the financial payback is almost certainly in your favor.

You can prepare many foods ahead of time. I baked a package of chicken breasts (about 45 minutes back time but my total involvement was five minutes at most) and then I split each one and put it in a baggie. Then I take one out, nuke it (you can eat it cold, of course) and put a slice of cheese on it along with some mayo and brown mustard plus some spinach leaves and, poof, done in under five minutes.

I also make a big crock pot of chili about once a week. It takes about half an hour to prepare the ingredients and get it going and then about 10 hours to cook. Then I split the result into single serving plastic containers and put them in the fridge. Throw one in my lunch box in the morning and nuke it for 1.5 minutes at work and I'm done.

Scan through the recipes section and forums and experiment. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 14:08
Registered Member

BF:
Smile chili?

I'm still on induction can I have chili because I have a great recipe for it if I can
4cans chilli beans
2cans kidney beans
1cans black beans
3lbs ground beef browned with 1 onion and drained
3 pkg chilli mix

brown GB w/onion drain add chilli mix 2cups water simmer 10 min add all the beans simmer 10 min

I used to also add 1 can of corn and 1 can diced tomato( but not now I guess
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 14:25

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'd hold off on the chili till your out of Induction. The beans violate Rule #4 of Induction. No legumes of any kind yet, though I prefer to make my chili without beans anyway. Also, tomatos add quite a few carbs.

You REALLY have to watch out for the chili mix. Most of them have LOTS of carbs in them from starches to thicken up the chili. You can use your own spices or find a low carb mix. The lowest one I have found is Williams Original. Even so, it adds about 3g of carbs per my serving size (1/4 of the chili).

Once you are off of Induction, you should be OK. But be sure to carefully determine how many carbs are in each serving.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 14:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with wbahn. While the cost of food may be a bit more, the savings you are getting with better health and potentially getting off medications is immeasurable. Ditto on the chili mix...try making your own with cumin and chili powder, much less carbs and probably better for you without all the fillers that they put in the commercial stuff.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 15:13
Registered Member

BF:
Default no bean chilli

I forgot about the beans but tell me more about the no-bean chilli
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 17:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%

I can't suggest 20-minute menus, but you can save money and time by buying in bulk and cooking in bulk. One of the advantages of low carb is that fat is good, and fattier cuts of meat are cheaper. One of my favourite things is to get a pork shoulder roast (butt) rub it with garlic, salt and herbs and slow roast it. It takes longer than 20 minutes, but there's lots of leftovers to reheat (which is fast) or eat cold (even faster). So look for regular ground beef, chicken legs, turkey thighs--they're all cheaper--and cook a bunch at once.

Cabbage is wonderful braised--slice up a head of cabbage as fine as you can. Throw it in a big pot with a half cup of broth, a couple of tablespoons of butter, and some salt. Bring to the boil, stir it up, turn down the heat, cover and cook for about five minutes, maybe a little longer until it's tender. Even if you eat a cup at a time, it will last a while.

Susan
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 17:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default quickie meals

All of the above have given you some great ideas. Anytime you can buy and cook large amounts of roast beef or pork, chicken thighs or breasts, etc do so. Freeze meal size portions and then nuke when ready to eat. If you are still in induction, the veggie thing is easy - a cup or two of lettuce, a cup of green beans, some spinach, or turnip greens.
Try to watch for specials at the store. And, ground beef is usually fairly inexpensive. Form it into patties and freeze or cook the patties and then freeze. Nuke the amount you want at a meal.
Almost every day for lunch I have a ground beef pattie with mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip), maybe a slice of cheese, on top of a handful of lettuce. Basically a cheeseburger without the bun.
Eggs are usually a good value. Wal-mart generally has the best price in my part of the country.
All this meat can be expensive compared to beans, rice, and potatoes but - if you were doing colas and snack foods before, you will probably see a decrease in your food bill.
Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 13:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default lunch quickie

can of vennie wennies
1 oz chedder cubes
hand full of pork rinds
two deviled eggs
one glass of diet decaf pepsi
everything had zero carbs on pkg is this to good to be true?