Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 09:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/151/145
BF:
Progress: 33%

Welcome, Teri! Always good to have more company. Especially company that brings such yummy recipes along with her! You are doing so well! Way to go and keep it up.

Hey, Amber. I'm doing okay. don't worry about the Mex food. I have to say I am impressed with your ability to not allow one cheat to turn into several days of binging, like me! I wish I could get back on track as quickly as you!

My week has been, well, less than ideal. In my last post I told y'all about my grandma and her troubles. So, she is better, but still needs extra attention. I am happy to give it to her, but my eating has just been in the crapper. So, since my life is hopefully going to get back to some degree of normalcy today, I am going to square my shoulders and get back on track. Wish me luck, because I am not feeling very strong right now!

Hugs all, Tama
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 08:48

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 220/160.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Talking Can I Join You All ???

Hi everyone...

I know my goal reads 145... but I know my body can handle to 132... I set up 145 as my goal, because it didn't sound as scary... I'll make my decision after I finally reach the 145 number...

Can I join in the activities here??? I have been doing so well since I joined this website... and have had all my questions answered quickly...

This is such a cool website...

Thanks to ya'll
Sally
  #63   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 12:59
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hiya Sally,

You sound like me....I'm 5'7" & I'd like to be "brave enough" to put 132 as my goal, but I don't wanna go crazy here! I haven't weight 132 since I was in college (and that was MANY moons ago). I came up with my goal this way: I know I'd be happy with 150....anything below that would make me ecstatic...so hitting the 140 mark and staying there would take me to heights I've never seen before!! I know I can do this because it was the hunger that got to me on any other "diet"....so now I have no excuse. I AM DETERMINED to hit 140 and enjoy it for many years before I die!!! I've been overweight my whole life and I AM SICK OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there.

Ahem.

Thanks Amber and Tama for the warm welcome.... I am looking forward to meeting our goals together!!!

Terry
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 13:25

BF:
Talking Good Attitude Terry!!!!

My doc said (on HIS chart --- not these artificial charts that put someone with our build at 105 pounds)... he'd be happy with my reaching 155... well... I put on a few more pounds for alittle extra cushion...

I, too, haven't been at 132 for 20 years... back when this picture was taken... but this is the way I want to look again, but would be really happy being able to wear more figure fitted clothes...

We Will Make It!!!!! Determination is the Key!!!!

Talk later!!
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 14:52
Starting Over!

Sally,

I noticed that you're on "your doctor's plan".... and he put you on low carbs?? That would be really encouraging!!

You're a very pretty lady.... I'm sure you're just as pretty with or without the extra weight.... but you and I are both sick of wearing tents, huh?

I'll tell you what will cure you for sure....go to Vegas and stay in at the Venetian for 3 days..... I told my husband that I'm not going back to Vegas until I can stop feeling like some frumpy ol' hag with my fat butt sittin' on a stool in front of the slot machines! Hey, I may even get a boob job!! Wooo hoooo!!
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 19:18

BF:
Smile Hi Terry

Yea... my doctor put together this plan, and it worked so well for him that he suggested it to me, and for the first 4-6 months or so he walked me thru the ins and outs... and its based on low carb way of eating...

The only difference with this plan, is that I'm allowed things such as fruit, and yogurt to quench my sweet tooth, there is no real measuring per say, and there is no "counting". Counting is the one thing that I never could figure out. Because I cook alot of my meals, and trying to figure out... for example, tuna salad... what exactly is the carb/calorie count of tuna salad... I put tuna, salad dressing, celery, sometimes frozen peas and then secret seasoning ... what would be the count for something like that... 2 serving spoons full???

So this plan works out wonderful for me... because it's basically winging it... and I have found what works and what doesn't work... the only thing I have to be Really Strict with is my complex carbs.... ie... Pasta , Rice , Bread , etc... oops got carried away there and obviously stay away from the obvious... ice cream , candy cookies ...etc... and the more I've "updated" it to my satisfaction ... and whenever I change it to any degree, I consult with him, and work with him as far as what works and what doesn't.... and if I do something that isn't up to medical standards (which I haven't yet...) he works with me on that too ... he set up the basic idea... and I've modified it to my lifestyle and habits.... and it ended up to be basically lo-carb...

I LOVE Vegas... but we usually stay at the Lady Luck downtown... and I can get really totally swollen ankles at the stupid slot machines!!! The Venetian is a beautiful place... you STAYED there??? WOW!!! and I'm not big enough for the boob job thingie

Talk later!!! and definately keep in touch!! You sound like you could be alot of fun!!!

PS... and thank you so much on the compliment of my pic....
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 19:21

BF:
Talking COOL!!!!

I just noticed I turned into a Drumstick....
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 22:41
Starting Over!

Default Howdy!

Yeah, Richard and I stayed at the Venetian for our honeymoon last July. I love the man to death, but living the high life with him has cost me 15 lbs!! He's being WONDERFULLY supportive and doing this WOE with me...he's only got 5 more lbs. to go....but he's hypoglycemic like me so it does him good to stay on it.

But back to Vegas.....Oh no, you have to stay at the Venetian to get the full effect of what I'm saying to you. Everywhere we went it seemed there were these stunning women....our waitresses, black-jack buddies at the tables, people watching us play, restaurants, in the elevators, shopping....everywhere I turned there was some beautiful, 20-something, tan, fit, trim, exquisitely coiffed and manicured bombshell in front of me....It was humiliating!!! I mean I went there thinking I was a halfway attractive female and left feeling like an old fat hag. I am NOT kidding. So that will be my reward when I reach goal....another 4 days at the Venetian....but not until THEN.

Well I've got to get some good sleep tonight....my seratonin is running low or whatever that good stuff is that gets released when you go into a deep sleep....whatever it is, it's supposed to help with losing weight, so I need it. :LOL:

Nice chatting with you!
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 22:43
Starting Over!

PS. Congrats on turning into a chicken leg!!!
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 07:43

Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Hello Teri and Sally!!

It's so nice to see more people here! It means more people that will prove this WOE works! You are both doing great!

You guys sound like you have great goals and really nice rewards for yourselves. I've been trying to figure out what would be good mini-rewards and a good big end reward. At this point, just going out and looking great is my biggest one! But I want to really do something to keep me on for life. When I lost my first 10 lbs. on my low-fat diet (took me FIVE MONTHS!! ) I took myself to the spa for a pedicure. Then after my next 10 lbs (on this diet, 1 1/2 weeks, hey, it was induction but I'll take every pound I can get!) I got my hair trimmed and styled. I don't want to do anything major with it until the end, so before our vacation in September (we're going to Pittsburgh and D.C.) I'm going to do something completely new with myself! So, I think I'll probably splurge on a whole day spa package with my diet buddy. She gets $1,000 for getting down to 160lbs.

Tama, I don't really feel down when I go out and eat a carb meal. I just figure I am going to set this one meal aside and eat and enjoy. I read somewhere, in fact I think it was on this board, that if you plan on a carb meal, just do it, enjoy it, and go back on plan for the next meal. Oh wait, it was CALP. Anyway, I am not fazed by the junk food in my house, it used to be my comfort food. Now, my comfort is in seeing myself grow thinner. I am not in a hurry, so if I want to go out and have a nice meal, I will, and go back to low carb for the next meal. I think the difference is that the guilt is gone, so no reason to binge. I also keep in the back of my mind, the fact that in CALP, you have a reward meal. First a salad, then a plate with 1/3 protein, 1/3 other veggies, and 1/3 carbs. I think it might help me to keep any low carb meal in mind, even if it's not as rigid as this one. I don't do this all of the time, just once every two weeks or so. I haven't stopped or slowed my loss, so it works for me! After having mexican food Thurs., I weighed myself Saturday and was down another pound, so it must not have been that bad.

I've got to get my kids started with their school, see you guys later! Amber
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 07:52

Stats: 154/151/145
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thanks, Amber! You give good advice, girl! Thank-you, it helped me out today.

As for me, my reward is going to be a new wardrobe (size 8) to wear to my 10 year high school reunion in August. I just have a few more lbs. to go, so I don't think it is unrealistic. I don't need to look like a supermodel, but I don't want to look like I "let myself go", you know?

Hey princess, no fair! You have to tell us what your secret ingredient in your tuna salad is!

Later ladies,
Tama
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 09:15
Starting Over!

Hey, you know what just occured to me this morning? (I'm a little slow)....When I reach goal, I'll be able to wear SEXY LINGERIE !! When I was at 150 a few years ago that was my favorite thing to treat myself with! I think I'll go buy myself a beautiful, white, lacey teddy (in a size medium!) and hang in it plain sight in my closet.....and when I look good in that, I'll go buy another one in a size small! HA!! Oh yes, I'm on to something here.

Have a great day all!!!!

Keep your eye on the prize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 16:41

BF:
Talking WTG Girls!!!!

Terry, that sounds like a great incentive.... and since you are a newlywed, it would give extra incentive to your husband (even though it sounds like he really thinks alot of you the way you are now!!! ) He sounds like a neat guy!!!

Tama, some day I'll tell everyone what my secret ingredients are in my tuna salad... -- I'm rooting for you for your August Goal

Amber ... it's always an excellent idea to set yourself goals throughout... I've learned that setting myself one goal, and that is the final one that I'm going for, never works... because then I'm not celebrating the intermittent accomplishments...

I'm writing quick... it's the end of the day at work, and I'm "whooped"... If I get on line later, I'll write more... (you can probably guarentee that )

It's great to hear from all of you ... and we'll talk again later!!!
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 09:19

Stats: 225/182/170 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 78%
Unhappy Had A Challenge Of A Day Yesterday....

I came home yesterday to a husband who promised to have dinner ready and didn't then blamed it on me!! I was already not a very happy person, but I'm tired of getting blamed for other people's lack of a brain. I know I'm going to look back at this post and not believe what I'm saying, but man, I told him off and didn't regret it! Then it's, "I worked hard all day (as if I sat around on my lazy a--) in the cold and came home happy, and now the day is ruined (read- my fault)" Arrrggghhh! Sorry, just need to scream! Then he starts asking me about my vitamins, saying he thinks it makes people sick (where in the world does he get this?) and I had to come out with my diet. Anyway, in a nutshell, he doesn't believe in it and is against it, but I told him I'm doing it anyway and tried to explain the scientific reasons and he came up with his end-of-discussion "I guess I am just from the old school and you don't understand me." After that, I could be telling him anything, he wouldn't listen. All of this in front of the kids, who have seen me losing weight and feeling much happier and energetic. Oh!! I just makes me want to, well I wish I was still in martial arts class, I'd be able to get rid of some of this excess anger.

So now, I have to PROVE that this diet works instead of just going along and losing for myself. I get to look forward to the scrutiny and criticism the next several months. So, if you don't mind, instead of going off and eating a bag of chips (that's what I comforted myself with before) I'd like to come here and rant a little and stay on target. I stayed on my diet yesterday, and will continue because I know it is right, but the pressure is going to get intense here. I'm not kidding, I've gone through it before. At least this time I'll actually be losing weight and won't give up and prove myself wrong! By the way, he asked me if he was wrong to think that 80% of daily calories should be carbs, AAAAHHHH! I told him goodness no, and he just looked at me like "poor, deluded soul."

OK, that's enough pity party. I have my daughter's birthday party to host for kids and then the relatives party on Sunday. She turned 10 on this past Wednesday. She told me this morning that I'm a lot skinnier and could she go on this diet so she won't get sick when she's older. Bless her heart, I told her that she didn't need a diet, but if she wanted to make smart choices, she could. Cheese or nuts or berries instead of those snack brownies and other junk food I have lying around. She was quite happy! She doesn't think she's overweight, she just knows Diabetes and heart disease run in our family. And of course the other kids want to do it too! We'll just have to keep a low profile around dad.

I lost another pound so that's 2 lbs. total this week. I'm 195, halfway through my 10 lb. increment. YAY!

Tama-we graduated at the same time! My 10 year reunion is this November (don't ask me why the harebrained date, it Thanksgiving weekend!) Anyway, I probably won't be going. But I'd like to be thin again if I decide at the last minute to go. I don't want to look like I let myself go either! I put myself on many strict diets to gain this weight!! It wasn't me letting myself go, and I'm sure that wasn't your problem either! It'll be nice to be back in my thin clothes.

Anyway, I'm signing off, I have a pinata to decorate and a house to clean. See you all later! Amber

P.S. Thanks for letting me rant and rave, I feel better.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 10:38

BF:
Smile Hi Amber

Welcome to "Sally's Mad Weight Loss Program" ...
I got mad and I proved to them that I COULD do it, and I DID...

My husband didn't give me THAT hard of a time when I started this, but he did harass me on not being able to eat anything and everything...

However, my father doesn't understand this wol AT ALL ... He feels that if you want to lose weight all you have to do is cut your portions, and exercise more!!! and I can't get it through his lovable super thick scull that I've been there, and unless I wanted to spend all of my personal time exercising at the pace that he does, I can't just do that... Between my doctor and myself, we discovered that my body does NOT like complex carbs and everyone's body is different; not to mention this WOL works great for me and my lifestyle, and I've been on this for over a year, and I FEEL GREAT!!!

My husband gives me a really hard time when I bring in the vitamins (I take herbals)... and his usual reply is "What - another pill?" ... so I know how the negativity can drain you ...

According to your stats though, you are doing dynomite...!!!!
KEEP IT UP !!!
and if it means that you come to the site for extra support ... so be it!! That's where I get mine from ... and I've started to lose since I've been around here ... so Keep your determination, and as long as YOU feel good and have more energy, than YOU keep working at it!!! and don't let anyone tell you differently ...