Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 03:50
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%
Default CKD Weights and Measures

Code:
Start weight------------------------------Friday-82.0kg(180.4lbs) Week 1 Monday-84.0kg(184.8lbs)-----------Friday-81.5kg(179.3lbs) Week 2 Monday-81.5kg(179.3lbs)-----------Friday-80.5kg(177.1lbs) Week 3 Sunday-82.5kg(181.5lbs)-----------

Code:
Week 1 Monday, 2/14 Friday, 2/18 Friday,2/25 bust 91cm 86 85 waist 89cm 85.5 86 navel 104cm 102.5 102.5 hips 98cm 98 96 l thgh 64cm 64 63.5 l calf 39cm 38.5 38.5 l bcp,r 32cm 32 31 l bcp,f 33.5cm 33.5 32.5 body fat 33.48% 32.77% 32.10% fat (lbs) 62 59 57.8 LBM (lbs) 123 121 122

Last edited by dane : Sun, Feb-27-05 at 04:50.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 03:51
muscle bound

Default CKD Miscellaneous

Carb up meals for the future:
split pea soup w/carrots,celery,potatoes and brown bread
apricot glazed turkey legs w/mushroom noodle rice
From a post by LunaHotel, ~~~~~~.com:
Cardio is a physical activity specifically geared for training the heart and circulatory system. Normally, cardio is not completely aerobic because the only way to train the circulatory system is to exercise at such an intensity that the oxygen required for that activity IS GREATER THAN THE CURRENT oxygen-carrying capacity of your heart/lungs, and this requires in turn that your heart must beat fast, and your lungs must breathe fast. The word "cardio" comes from: "heart" as in "cardiac arrest". HIIT most definitely is cardio. For some, such as I, weights are also cardio because I design my workouts that way. My heart rate gets to 180 for 20 1-minute intervals, which is kinda HIIT and weights all rolled into one.

Aerobics are physical activities geared towards burning fat, as fat-burning is the only REASON to do aerobics. Your muscles don't get stronger, and your heart and circulatory systems aren't being significantly trained, either, because THE OXYGEN USED IS WELL WITHIN THE LIMITS of your cardiovascular system. Thus, aerobics are low-intensity and SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH CARDIO.

Now, what you hear mostly, is that the word "cardio" is used to describe aerobics and the word "aerobic" is often used to describe cardiovascular training. I know, I know, I know, it's not easy. But it's that way. Go figure.

Now, half the posts in this thread misuse and confuse cardio and aerobics whereas the difference between the two is simply huge. If you reread everthing posted here, substituting "cardio" for "aerobics" here and there and vice-versa, every single post in here MAKES SENSE!!! icon_eek.gif icon_biggrin.gif

OK so, to burn fat you will apply sound CKD dieting principles. Eat good meat. Don't go for the hamburger, go lamb thigh instead, if you know what I mean. You will also either do weights, cardio or aerobics, or more likely, all of them.

If you will do aerobics, which you already do all day, you will need to stay on the treadmill for a GOOD LONG WHILE. In all probability, you will go a little too hard, because you want your goals, because you don't have that much time, because it's more fun that way, whatever. Well, doing aerobics is catabolic, and yes that means that there is almost no way you can do aerobics and burn only fat and no muscle. On a CKD it is reduced compared to a carb-based diet, though.

One note of caution : exercising at anything above moderate intensity for more than 40 minutes will cause the body to release cortisol, the king of catabolic hormones, which eats up muscle and kills protein synthesis. Cortisol is what you want to avoid.

You will do weights, which will raise your metabolic rate higher, which burns fat. That is where you will make most of your gains anyway. NOT during the workout, but in the hours and days afterwards, while your muscles are repairing. Lift heavy, that will create more muscle tear and yes, pain, and thus more fat burning. You aren't seriously concerned about a specific amount of muscle MASS at this point. Strength is important, and FAT BURNING is your main focus at this point. The strength will be VERY useful later for building mass or simply shaping your body once a good part of the fat is off.

Cardio? HIIT is GREAT because it raises your growth hormone levels. GH is slightly anabolic, ESPECIALLY for the skin and it also helps burn fat. I haven't found research on specifics of skin-GH relationship, but everyone taking GH or GH releasers reports how much better their skin seems and stretches while "on" and natural GH, which decreases with age, is by FAR the single most important determinant of skin elasticity.

Skin elasticity is a phenomenon that is due mainly to ONE PROTEIN in the skin : collagen. I'm not saying eat collagen. Given the proper conditions, your body will synthesize plenty of collagen. What are these conditions? Well, the conditions for the synthesis of collagen are the conditions for the synthesis of protein. This means avoid excess catabolism. Avoid training for too long. Avoid too low calorie count. Avoid too low protein count.
Fructose
Ok the purpose of the fructose before your depletion workout is to deliberately kick you out of ketosis and into a carb burning state. This will then make you run on glycogen during your workout removing most of whatever glycogen you have left, which will let your body supercompensate during the carb up.
Another great post re:cardio:
Just how does SLOW cardio actually bypass the carbs and get to the SECOND source of energy (FAT)? EASY, in laymen terms... after a few minutes of doing consistent but slow paced cardio, the body will automatically switch over to the fat stores for energy, sparing the carbs. WHY? Because your not working at a high enough level that the body needs to use it's #1 source of energy (carbs), but it has to give you something to utilize for fuel... that "something" is FAT!

This can only be achieved by getting to the fat burning stage... It's generally after about 10-15 minutes of cardio. (Depending on a million factors!) Some will get there a few minutes faster, some a little slower. This is why we do anywhere from 30 min to 1 hour of cardio. Variables being your conditioning, how close you are to the show, set point metabolism, etc...

Just how slow to go? I personally use the treadmill at about a 3.0 MPH pace, and the stationary bike at about 65 RPM. Remember the faster you go, the harder you work, the more CARBS will be used for fuel!

Lets assume that your in the 45 minute to 1 hour category and you still have a lot of body fat to lose. Can you exceed the 1 hour mark to burn even MORE fat? The answer is NO. Why? It seems like everything else pertaining to your bodies ability to conserve and store… that what actually happens in the post hour point, is that your body once again becomes aware that your going to extremes and attempts to conserve... this time the FAT.

Once your body has gotten to this point it goes to it's only source of energy left. PROTEIN! When this happens your basically burning MUSCLE for fuel. Ever notice how many long distance runners although being skinny, seem to be soft? Fat is a great source of SLOW long burning fuel for the body (why do you think animals store FAT for their winter hibernation?)

Taken out of Bob Cicherillo's article on cardio. He's been using this method to cut for competitions since the early 80's I think, and its used by most pro's. If anyone's seen Ronnie Colemans video, this is the type of cardio he does on his treadmill in his room.

Some people will recommend you to do this cardio first thing in the morning to ensure fat loss. People on ckd will burn fat anyway (since thats what they burn all day long), but if its done not first thing in the morning the fat burned will come from food as well. Another trick is to take coffee 30 minutes before cardio because it has been proven that more fat is burned this way. I know it is not allowed because it makes you crave sugar, but Ive been using it and I have not craved at all. If you think you can manage it then I recommend it.
another: (Chimponarope)
Getting into ketoss all comes down to getting the liver depleted. A decent length of gentle cardio the day after carb up should do it.

There really is no need to do cardio on an empty stomach on keto, carb based dieters do it to prevent the body burning the carbs they've just ingested at breakfast before turning to fat, we as keto dieters are usually in a pretty glycogen depleted state and are already burning fat. Plus the digestion time for most fats will mean that what you eat at breakfast won't usually be supplying energy for your cardio. So eat up and get out of the catabolic state that is sleep (from a food point of view anyway)

Last edited by dane : Sun, Mar-06-05 at 03:18.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 03:52
muscle bound

Default CKD, days 1 and 2, depletion and refeed

coming soon............
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 04:57
muscle bound

Default CKD, day 3, Tension, Lower Body/HIIT

Back to Hypocaloric....... percentages to be added later.

<Edited to add: and there will be no percentages. Ended up puking all of last night's food, so calories for the day were way low. <sigh> >

10 minutes easy cardio on the bike, level 1, to kickstart. Held the baby while doing it. 100 cals.

Weights:
Start time: 11:20am
ATF squats, BB bar +4(12kg, 26.4 lbs)3x10 hard..... but great!

SLDL's BB bar + 4 (12kg, 26.4lbs)toes raised w/10kg plates...... it worked!! 3x10, feeling it!

Static wall squat 3x 30sec
ss w/ individ calf raise, bar+4 (14.2lb) on working side 3x10

Leg Ext 6plates (60lbs)3x10, good..... remember to go slow; barely did last 2

Leg Curls 2plates (20lbs)3x10 good

Heart pumpin'!!
Finish:11:55am; 35 min Great!

Abs n Ass from Buns Of Steel video, 10 min.

protein snack-100g cottage cheese
go get Dom
pre-lunch HIIT:
30 minutes on the stationary bike. ~300 cals
Using the progressive program.... L1/2/3/4/5/6, 2minute warm up, 2minute cooldown

Last edited by dane : Tue, Feb-15-05 at 07:38. Reason: food info
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 05:09
That German Girl!

Plan: Low Carb, No Sugar
Stats: //! Female 5'11
BF:See my Inch Ticker
Progress: 64%

Hey there! Best Wishes on your New Program!

~Kimberly
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 07:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Sounds good, I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I'll just edit this for more talk today.
Quote:
You said: Have you thought about what you'd like to do? I'd be happy to work out the macro percentages for you......... even if you didn't do a CKD type thing, you could at least low carb better, maybe. I'll do it anyway,
Yes, I do want some new structure to my eating plan. I want to do TKD, which is simple enough for me to figure--oatmeal + soy protein 1 hour before weight training. What you could help me with is, the rest of the day. Any ideas? I posted general keto diets info. in my gym log, and from what I've read, I'm thinking I should start simple on TKD and see how it goes. Do you have other thoughts?

Last edited by galatia : Mon, Feb-14-05 at 10:44. Reason: more talk today...
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 07:08

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Sorry you're not feeling well, I hope the nap made all the difference. I really liked the information I posted, I can't remember where I found that, but it made it easy for me to understand. Yesterday I had oatmeal +soy protein 1 hour before weight training, and a Sweetart right before. I liked that.
Quote:
You asked: Whassa RDL?
Regular Dead Lifts. They about killed me-- good thing they were first on the agenda, or they would never have gotten done. Whew! And it looks like they are going to cause 2nd day soreness-- usually leg stress shows up more for me 2nd day. I feel it some right now-- but judging by how stressful it was doing them, I'm sure I'll pay big for it. Not to mention those walking lunges-- I was too worn out to use any weights doing those. Today is back and chest. I really love this routine! Talk to you later.
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-05, 07:38
muscle bound

Default Day 4, Upper Body Tension, skipping cardio

Ok, feeling better, so decided to do the tension, and skip the cardio.

BB flat bench 41.8lbs(12kg+bar) 3x10

DB incl flye bar+4kg(14.3lbs), 3x10 good
ss w/DB incl press bar+4, 3x10,hard.

side lats bar+2kg (10lb) had to drop...3x10 good
ss w/seated row, 7plates (70lbs) skipped...back is achy

arnies bar+2kg (10lbs)dropped 3x10 good
ss w/upright rows bar+2, dropped 3x10 good

tri kb's bar+2 (10lb)drop 3x10
ss w/hammer curls bar+2 3x10

Need to get some 1.25kg plates. Too weak after bench and flyes...... oh well!
Nasty taste in my mouth....... ahhhh ketosis.

Last edited by dane : Tue, Feb-15-05 at 08:48.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 04:24
muscle bound

Default Day 5, HIIT

Just finished a really brutal HIIT session on the bike. Still having lingering effects of the intestinal bug, so it's either from that, or being close to (or in.... no ketostix here) ketosis.
Did two intervals to level 6, then had to drop to level 2 for 5 min or so to recover, then was able to do the last interval. 30min, ~300 cals.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 07:52
muscle bound

Default Day 6, easy cardio

Feeling much better today! Did an easy 30 min on the bike...HR ave 142. 300 cals burned, worked up a light sweat.......nothing compared to a sweat dripper like HIIT,
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 16:20
Circling...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Lisa...
Thanks for stopping by my gym log. Wow your work out looks great! My workout looks pretty silly and mild compared to a lot of other gym logs I read but I'm OK with that. LOL! I suppose as I do it longer I can add and change.

I was back at the Y today. I'm glad I am going but really can't say it's much fun. LOL! I know there are people that just love it but I'm not one of those people! It's more of a means to an end for me. And I have to say I love your signature. Very true words!!! Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way!

Thanks for your words of advice and encouragement! I promise you'll be the first to know when I catch myself in the bathroom mirror, flexing.

Gypsy
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 05:55
muscle bound

Default Day 7, Depletion

Prior to Carb up, is the Full Body Depletion Workout
-lower weights (approx 50% less from tension w/o
-circuit format..... 10-20 reps each exercise, 20-40 sec per set
-4 to 5 circuits done, 10-20 quick reps (1 sec up/1 sec down)
-1 min rest between exercises
-5 min rest between circuits
Will try this circuit: Leg Ext/Flat Bench/Seated Row/Incl Flye/Leg Curl/Incl Bench/Calf Raise/Hammer Curl/Crunches/French Curl
50% reduction in weights (where possible).
reps/sec
Leg Ext: 3plates (30lbs)12/45-15/45-21/60-
Flat Bench: bar +2kg (22 lbs)17/42-20/43-27/60
Hammer Curl: 8lb DB 18/44; 5lb DB 20/45-25/50-
Seated Row: 4plates (40lbs)13/44-16/43-23/60-
Incl Flye: 8lb DB 16/43-20/48-26/60-
Calf Raise: 8lb DB 20/43-24/43-31/55-
Incl Bench: 8lb DB 20/44-22/45-32/50-
Leg Curl: 1plate (10lbs)18/42-switch to lying, 5kg 18/45-29/50-
Crunches: 45 sec/45/45
French Curl: 8lb DB 18/45-20/45-20/45

Still don't feel fully depleted! But it's been 1hr 15min since I started, and I gotta go get Dom. Needs some tweaking, I think.
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 04:01
muscle bound

Default Day 8 Saturday Carb Up

No formal exercise, but we went on a nice kidless hike in the Buda hills, with the dogs. 55 mins. Felt great all day.
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 04:04
muscle bound

Default Day 9, low carb, am keto cardio

Decided to renew my love affair with my mountain bike, and do my am cardio outside today! 'Twas loverly.

How empty do you have to be for "empty stomach" cardio? I have a severe coffee addiction, and couldn't do my am cardio without the java first. With cream.

So far this am:
5:00am....... wide ass awake. Sad Thank you, carbs.
5:15-6:30-ish..... drank my 2 big mugs of coffee and cream.
7:15-7:25........10 minutes warm up on my mountain bike

Then wasted 8 minutes rushing into the house to defrost hands, and get gloves.

Back on the bike, clocked 33 minutes, some gentle inclines to jack up the HR every now and then.

Great ride; no cars or people in the way, so I was free to gawk at the houses and peer into backyards. Lots of roosters crowing,
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 07:24
muscle bound

More nuggets of info......
Squeezing your bicep is important. Close grip barbell curls, hammer curls, close grip preacher curls, and incline dumbbell curls are all great shaping exercises for the biceps. Push-ups should be done at least twice a week to help develop the overall shape and size of the arms. If you can not do them in the beginning, it is okay to cheat by resting your knees on the mat. In no time at all, you should be doing fifteen solid Military Style push-ups!
Almost everything I've read that relates to women getting cut and SLIMMER is to do cardio 4 or 5 times a week (or more for the physially conditioned/athlete) and adding weight training about 3 times a week. Thus, you're mostly doing a cardio training regime and supplementing it with weight training (and proper, targeted nutrition).

Which is the reverse coneptualization of male/competitive bodybuilding.

Wait another week before doing a carb up. Maybe even two. Here's why:

Women don't need to replace glycogen in the same amount as men, so your carb ups are going to have to be mosly low GI and I'd say keep it at maintenance or about 250 cals above. Remember to drink a ton of water during the carb up.

First half of carb up is high GI, second half is low GI. Since insulin in women is really problematic due to our high estrogen, I'd say have only one sugar blast meal (if at all) and then keep the rest clean. I'd venture to say that this as first meal will not be damaging, but after that, you're flirting with disaster.

Last edited by dane : Sun, Feb-20-05 at 07:41.