Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/261/200
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Day Three: The Tuna Incident

So I've made it halfway thru Day Three. My headache of yesterday has dissipated. Halleluia!

So I went to a NC BBQ joint. Those of you outside of the Southeastern U.S. may not understand. But trust me... it's good.

Lunch consisted of:

About a cup (ok cup and a half) of yummy vinegar-based NC Pork BBQ.
Less than a cup of tuna salad.
A roasted chicken breast.
half a cup of collard greens (fixed with butter).
1 cup of cucumber and tomatos (in some sort of vinegary/sweet sauce.
I put about a teaspoon of hotsauce and extra vinegar (each) on my collards and BBQ.
Water. Lots of water. Yes, I said no to the sweet tea. An odd sensation indeed.
Then the jerk with me decides he wants some banana pudding (with 'nilla wafers no less!). So I have two fried (yes, breaded. The horror!) chicken wings for dessert.

Now, I thought I did pretty good with this meat fest. So I'm plugging this data into fitday.com and I come up with 35 carbs. From where? You guessed it: Tuna Salad. Now I know Tuna is allowed. And I thought mayonaise was allowed. So where did I go horribly wrong? There wasn't much else in this dish that I could detect. Maybe some onion or pickle, but chopped so fine I couldn't find it. It tasted really good so it must've had some flavorings/spices in there.

<sigh> 35 calories. On day 3. Induction Phase. I... I... I have failed! Should I just quit now? Is it a lost cause? Do I go back to square one. Where did I go so horribly wrong. Someone please tell me a little tunafish is OK. Egads!

Last edited by robertl30 : Wed, Mar-06-02 at 18:50.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 15:54

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

hehehehe

Keep going!

Depending on ingredients it could have been the mayo or pickles in the salad. Home made doesnt have NEAR that many.

Fitday also has a bad habit of serving size of a zillion when you only wanted a tablespoon. You probably didn't have that many carbs but since you don't know how they made the tuna just leave it there.

Keep going on induction....you have 11 days left.

Smile and take a deep breath.

too cute btw
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:07

Stats: 205/205/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Tuna

Now hold on a minute. Did you mean to say 35 carb CALORIES or 35 carb GRAMS? There is a big difference. 35 carb calories translates to about 9 grams, which is a little high but ok if you control your carbs for the rest of the day.

I am a little confused...did you make this tuna salad yourself or buy it from the BBQ place? If you bought it, how would you know what to put into fitday? Also, the person who posted above me is correct. Fitday gives you stats for something like 100 gram servings-I forget exactly how it works because I find it a little difficult to use. So don't freak out yet. Go back and check, and if the tuna salad really does have that many carbs, don't buy it anymore. Dr. Atkins warns against buying prepared salads for this very reason.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 18:59

BF:
Default Re: Tuna

Quote:
Originally posted by csfdavis
Now hold on a minute. Did you mean to say 35 carb CALORIES or 35 carb GRAMS? There is a big difference. 35 carb calories translates to about 9 grams, which is a little high but ok if you control your carbs for the rest of the day.

I do indeed mean 35 carb grams. Horrible isn't it?

Quote:

I am a little confused...did you make this tuna salad yourself or buy it from the BBQ place? If you bought it, how would you know what to put into fitday? Also, the person who posted above me is correct.

I just searched for tuna salad and it came up with one. Their tuna salad (http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/FoodFa...1&UnitsID=10205) is comprised of incgredients tuna, celery, salad dressing (mayonaise based), pickle relish, and onions. Drilling deeper I find that "salad dressing" has 3.5g/tbs. But what are they talking about? Miracle Whip? What is "salad dressing". What's worse is the pickle relish at 5.3g/tbs. But again, yeah, who knows what's in tunafish, ya know? It is possible to make this with low carbs right?

Maybe I'll just avoid mystery salads on salad bars going forward. <sigh>
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 19:11

BF:

Yeah, that salad dressing could be anything from the stuff next to the mayonnaise in the store, to some sort of imaginary concoction of mayo, sugar, and other stuff. I doubt that what fitday had was exactly the same as what you ate.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 19:13

BF:
Default One more thing...

Oh- and also, I doubt that barbeque sauce was sugar-free. I've never seen one that is.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 21:23

BF:
Default Re: One more thing...

Quote:
Oh- and also, I doubt that barbeque sauce was sugar-free. I've never seen one that is.

I'm pretty sure this was. NC BBQ sauce is pretty much just vinegar and chili peppers. At any rate I don't think I used enuf to make a diff.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 09:45

Plan: Low Carb/14-1/2 inches lost!
Stats: 186/161/155
BF:
Progress: 81%

Everything that you had does have a carb count. They add up! LOL I would say the BREADED wings and the cucumber/tomato mixture with the SWEET sause is what added up. The tuna salad is not where the carbs came from, trust me! Also along with everyones advice you should double check the "serving size" of your things on Fitday. When you put in mayo it automatically adds a CUP you have to change it to a TABLESPOON.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 12:05

Plan: Aikens
Stats: 182/182/162
BF:
Default tuna salad

wow...
i can relate to this
when i first strated LC'ing i would get so frustrated with the WHYs of it all
where where the hidden carbs?
one has to be a carb detective and hunt out the culprits..it is amazing where they can hide!!!!

when i saw the ingredients for the salad
the onion is very high in carbs
the relish also

I make my own
2 cups romain in bite size pieces 4
3 oz tuna (1/2 a can) 0
1 tbsp mayo 1
pepper

i get a really great salad and only 5 carbs for a lot

Buying out you never know what is in that stuff
I worked in restaruants for years and i am telling you it is amazing what some recipes include
Eating out can be tricky....
sauces carry a lot of carbs,
especailly bar b que, ketchups and pickles
best to leave them all off

you did make my mouth water with all the meat though
wish i coul have a bar b que right this minute
have a great day and happy low carbing
<')))><
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 20:35
Registered Member

Stats: 345/316/220 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey Robert,

It's amazing how things add up. It's tough to say where it came from, if it's an accurate amount. It doesn't sound too far out of whack though. With the relish(normally sweet), breading on wings(1/4 cup of bread crumbs is almost 20 carbs), and the bbq sauce.

I live in NC and I enjoy NC sauce a great deal. It is actually made with brown sugar, so you still have to be careful. I make my own, using a normal recipe for it, and leave out the sugar. I substituted splenda in it once, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I personally like the mustard/vinager taste anyways and don't care about how sweet it is.

You can definitely eat tuna. I do it all the time. But make sure you use mayo and not miracle whip or similar stuff. Straight eggs and oil is really low on carbs. I use dill pickles instead of relish and it's great and doesn't add much to the carb count(just make sure you check the label of the pickles.. my wife bought "Bread and Butter" pickles and they were worse than sweet jerkins, so who knows..)

Good luck and stick with it. If you notice that you aren't getting into ketosis or fat loss mode, just extend your induction 3 days. It goes a lot faster then you think.

Mike
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 17:01

BF:

Thank you all for your concern. You people had me FREAKED. So I went back to this restaurant and asked if I could talk to who ever makes the food. Chef comes out and we chat. I tell him I'm low carbing. He's actually heard the term and says, "well you sure did come to the right place, Bubba." (no, my name is not actually bubba.)

As I suspected. No carbs in NC BBQ sauce. You folk are thinking of that tomato stuff they use in TN, TX and everywhere else apparantly. Ingredients: peppers, vinegar, salt. He wouldn't tell me which peppers specficially, and then he did fess up and say, well it changes...

The cuke/tomato dish is a vinegar/sugar dressing. Will avoid in the future. But it really was good.

The tuna salad he said is just tuna, mayo, onions, some other spices, pepper. Dash of hot sauce.

The chicken wings are just rolled in flour and deep fried. Will avoid those and stick to the roasted chicken in future.

In other news, I had a very rough day yesterday. It was my last day at a company. I'd resigned two weeks ago. For my final day I took 3 of my guys out golfing. At the turn we hit the snack bar, and I did dutifully scan for something meat-only-ish and came up dry. We were in a hurry and they had cheeseburgers ready so we all got that. I did consider how I could eat a hamburger sans bun. There were no utensils available. So I said, ok. I'm off diet--and had a dang cheeseburger. It was really really yummy.

Then we did dinner at Outback. I had the salad with ranch dressing. I ignored the bread. I'm not finding it hard at all to ignore bread at restaurants for some reason. Could I really have already kicked the habit? Time will tell. I then enjoyed a 14oz NY strip. Yum! I had steamed broccoli with it.

Now as, I said, this was a bit of a celebratory/sad-I'm-leaving kinda day. So I did enjoy, not one, but 2 rum & cokes. My primary vice in life. So Fitday has me at about 100g carbs for Friday. Oh, freakin' well.

Today, I've been a perfect dieter. I also got my 2 week starter Atkin's kit in the meal. I've read the quick-start guide and I've started swallowing these yucky tasting pills. Anyone else know if the supplements really make a diff? I'm not a big pill taker. I've never taken vitamins before. Not sure I want to be on such a rigorous schedule. I feel like I have AIDS or something with the 3 pill cocktail Atkins has cooked up.

I'm taking the spousal unit out for her birthday tonight. Gonna hunt me up another big steak and forego the baked potato. Steamed veggies _are_ pretty yummy.