Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 08:40

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Question - Adrenaline and cortisol

I'll take anecdotal or fact here.

I have been trying to find a difference between the two hormones mentioned above.

The reason is this: I was put on beta blokcers for high BP two weeks ago. I think they are treating a symptom, not the problem. I was also put on a diuretic which I am taking religiously.

I believe I have a cortisol problem. Was told I had adreanl fatigue by a naturopath and started a supplment. My primary concern at the time was the extreme exhaustion I was feeling around 8:00 am and then again in the afternoon. So tired, it would make me sick not to be able to sleep. Anyway, after taking the supplment and following other advice, I felt tremendously better. Didn't even go get further supplementation after I ran out.

My question is this: the dr. told me and I have read since that beta blockers stop the effect of adrenaline; so I am wondering if they stop that effect do they also stop the effect of cortisol? I have been reluctant to take them although I have a couple of days because I had hoped to fix it naturally, but now I am wondering if I do have a cortisol problem, if they would actually help that too?

Any thoughts or information? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 10:33

Default Ok, I found the difference

andrenaline is produced by the medulla and cortisol is produced by the cortex. Two separate and distinct chemicals.

So, now I am wondering if I put aside the adrenal support regimen too soon. Way too soon.

Because two of my major symptoms are the fluid retention and high BP. Or at least that is what got me to the doctor this time.

So get this: adrenaline is reponsibilite for controlling the blood pressure and cortisol is responsible for fluid retention.

Sounds a little like tired adrenals doesn't it.

But I am still questioning if the beta blockers helps with suppressing the adrenaline, will it also help suppress the cortisol.

I don't believe he tested for that even though I said something about tired adrenals. I think the only two ways to test it are a saliva test and a 24-hour urine test. Is that right?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 13:06

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default No direct help here

Can't answer any of your questions directly.

Can say that reading the book Mastering Leptin, and implementing as many of its suggestions as I can, has helped me tremendously. The book talks about adrenaline and cortisol imbalances as a result of eating improperly, and they didn't appear to be relevant to my problems so I didn't pay much attention.

www.masteringleptin.com

Caveat: Authors are NOT proponents of a LC WOL but otherwise their information does not conflict with very much at all over here.

Leptin diet

three meals a day
no snacks
3 hours between last food and bed
regular vigorous exercise
something else I can't remember now.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 13:10

Gee, that sounds like typical diet they have been advocating for years. But thanks for pointing me somewhere.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 14:40

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default It gets way more interesting underneath

When you start getting into the connections between insulin and leptin, and then leptin and everything else in the body. It extends what I've learned about insulin from these boards and books; now I'm back in it with TNF-alpha and KN-something and all the other inflammatory compounds.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 15:05

Well, I may try to see if the library has it. I don't think I would be interested in buying it.

I know a little bit about leptin and my understanding is for most of us, we have to gain weight first, and then we have a problem with leptin. not the other way around; except for a few people who have a rare disorder. And that's why it is hard to lose after you start gaining.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 280/165/165 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 100%

Adrenaline (also known as epinephrine) controls the "fight or flight" response by your body. Meaning if you need to fight or run away to save your life, it is adrenaline that gets your heart beating faster, the blood coursing and your energy levels revved.

Cortisol (also called hydrocortisone) is the most improtant and main glucocorticoid produced by the adrenal cortex and is responsible for things like blood sugar regualtion, anti-inflammatory responses, and immune response modification.

Too much cortisol can cause insulin resistance, visceral weight gain and obesity, promotes mineral loss from bones which can result in osteoporosis, decreases the gut lining and promotes ulcers and IBS, decreases DHEA (a precursor of many body hormones), and inhibits function of the T3 thyroid hormone.

This imbalance is quite common with Fibromyalgia.

Balancing the adrenal glands while under adrenal stress or fatigue takes time. I've had some patients that it literaly took 2 years to completely balance and resolve. (Of course that is extreme cases, most do quite well in a few months.)

It did not take a day for your body to get in its present condition and it will take time to heal. Give your body what it needs nutritionally to rebuild and repair, including the adrenal glands, and hopefully your body is not to the point where it cannot get better.

I cannot emphasize enough that healing takes time to happen. Do not get impatient. There is no "magic pill." Keep with a proper nutritional regamin.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 05:49

So do you recommend adrenal supplements, KajunDC?

I can't remember what i was taking, but I can see it in my mind's eye at the health food store. It as a blue label. So I know exactly where to get more. Maybe I just quit too soon because I was felling so much better in the mornings. One thing I did notice and didn't like is that it makde the afternoon coldness worse. This is what happens: around 8-10:00 pm my heart starts thumping really hard. No matter what,when or how I eat or what I do. Then I go to bed, I wake up in the morining with ridculously high BP, 4-5 pounds of extra fluid, and ready to take someone's head off and still having the extreme heartbeat. It starts fading a little bit (all symptoms) aorund 8:00 am and then quite suddenly disspartes sometime after lunch. At that time, all the fluid completely dissapates,. the headache and the grouchiness. Just like magic. I also get cold at that time. What I noticed is when I was taking the adrenal complex, I would get so cold I would be shaking and the fluid loss was even more dramatic. But another strange thing is that this didn't happen when I took it in the morning, although I didn't do that much cause I don't eat breakfast like I should cause I don't like to.

It contained bovine adrenal, niacin, siberian ginseng, licorice root. Is Naicin B5? It contained B5 but that may be the niacin.
I have a strong suspicion I will be dissapointed with the doctor's visit today. But I'm prepared for that. Got all kinds of articles and stuff to show him!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 07:15
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quietone
I read the Cortisone Connection and Adrenal Fatigue and decided I had neither. But amazingly I had already been taking the supplements recommended.

You know, I think vitamin D is a miracle powerhouse that tells the body how to function? And you know from the Vitamin D Experiment that vitamin D affects hormone activity. I think vitamin D actually corrects hormonal imbalances. The thing that struck me most about the case studies given of CFS and Adrenal Fatigue sufferers was how many, practically all, of the people were working long hours in buildings, i.e., not getting out in the sun and replenishing their vitamin D stores. Vitamin D deficiency has been shown in people with CFS and adrenal fatigue. I think recovery from those cannot be accomplished without vitamin D.

Supplements mentioned that I already take were vitamin C, borage and fish oils, coQ10, L-carnitine, gingseng, zinc, B vitamins, and selenium.

Also mentioned which I take periodically were dandelion root and milk thistle.

You should also avoid eating or cooking with any soy, omega-3 oils and transfats. Soy oil has been shown to damage thyroid in the population of Australia down to children as young as 7. I thought that study was eye-opening on the dangers of soy.

I think recovery needs to be both nutritionally and through a supplement regimen. Many supplements work synergistically and their is no one supplement cure.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 07:59

Hi, Zuiilekka...

Thanks for the response. I have been taking the D and unfortunately it didn't help my particular problems. Although my moods have been much better this year.

I don't do soy in any form because I found I was allergic to it years ago.

I did see someone's note on selemiun earlier (yours?) and started taking that daily.

The only ginseng I take is siberian, cause the other stuff raises my BP.

Milk thistle had an extreme diuretic effect on me, which I noticed again especially in the afternoons.

I really appreciate your input and feel you always have research and knowledge that is helpful.

Since paying attention to this now, I know for sure that something happens from 8pm-8am every day. The opposite happens from 8a-8p. Its like whatever wrong is attached to my circadian rhythym. I've been using the light this winter, so I'm sure it can't be that. And with the Vit D and light regimen, have had fewer early morning awkenings this year. That part was really noticeable and enjoyable. I am so glad you found that stuff on Vit D and I will never go through winter again without it! (unless I get to move to the islands or something)

Gotta' get ready to go to dr. Will let everyone in on tests results.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 280/165/165 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't recommend supplements without seeing test results. The tests I usually do for adrenal fatigue include hair mineral analysis testing and saliva tests done throughout the course of a day to see what cortisol is doing during the day. Usually coritsol levels will be quite low in the morning and will rise throughout the day. (That is usually with adrenal fatigue) But if you've had something recommended by a qualified doctor/consultant, I'd begin doing that again.

One thing I'd definitely recommend is to eat breakfast. Eat within one hour of waking and make sure a good source of protein is included... which should go ithout saying as you are already doing low carb.

Of extreme importance in dealing with adrenal problems is to take stress off the gland so they can heal. The best way to do this is to eat something protein every two-three hours. The reason for this is the adrenals are responsible for, among other functions, the regulation of blood sugar levels in between meals. By eating something every two to three hours, and it doesn;t have to be much... a few almonds would do it, it takes the blood sugar balancing responsibilities off the glands. This really speeds progress.

It is important that as your energy levels start to improve, you don't overtax yourself. Think of your energy levels as a bank account. You have depleted your savings. You must allow your energy to build back up.

Do exercise, but don't do aggresive exercises. Walking, swimming, light aerobics is about all you can handle without setbacks in the early stages of healing.

Don't skip any meals or eat carbs alone. (once again, should not be an issue doing low carb.)

Use sea salt liberally with your foods. It is a medical myth that salt causes high blood pressure and other heart problems. Salt depleted diets contribute to both adrenal fatigue and dehydration. (Where salt goes, so goes water) The most common symptoms of dehydration are fatigue, headaches, and flu-like feelings.

The sea salt protocol I use is upon rising, put 1/8 a tsp of sea salt in a glass and mix with water and drink... or... put a large pinch of salt on your tongue and chase with water. Repeat mid-morning and mid-afternoon as needed.

How do you know if its needed? The guideline is salt or salt water will taste good if your need the salt, it will make you feel nauseous if you don't. You can trust your body to guide you in this. Salt cravings are accurate cravings - feed them.

Some people note an increase in energy within ten minutes of drinking their salt solution.

Obviously, there are a couple of health conditions where you would not want to follow this salt advice and they include kidney disease and Congestive Heart Disease as the salt will increase body fluid levels.

If you notice any water retention in the beginning, adjust the amount of salt you are taking until you find the dose that causes no retention.

A great book on this is called "Your Bodies Many Cries For Water," by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.

Sea salt tastes just like commercial salt. The difference is commercial salt has been refined to remove the trace minerals. (This is then sold to supplement companies, tableted, and sold back to you as trace mineral supplements.) So you get your trace mineral from Sea Salt. Sea salt is available at most health food stores. The best I've found is Celtic Sea Salt - 800-867-7258 (And in case anyone is wondering, no, I'm not affiliated with this company.)

Hope this gets you off to a good start.