Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default I can't believe I did it!!!

I was with my family over the weekend and they decided to go to a Chinese restaurant with buffet, of course. Well, I went there and knew I coulnd't look at the buffet without wanting to EAT IT ALL!!! So, I went in and sat with my family and didn't even look at the buffet table. I passed on eating the buffet with them and ended up just sipping on tea. I was so proud of my will-power which I used to have NONE of before!!! I just had to share...

Christy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 19:53

Plan: Mostly Atkins these days
Stats: 260/225.9/175
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default You go, girl!

Good for you for not eating off the buffet -- I hope you did have a meal before or after, though! Starving is NOT the answer.

Three cheers for you!

#3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:33

Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default WTG

That is will power girl... When ever our inlaws come they want take out and I leave the house LOL.... I don't think I would be able to not eat any.... last time they came I went to the gym instead...

Keep it up.. your goals are on there way..
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:41

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking Good Stuff!

That would have been very difficult!

Good for you!

was there no part of the buffet that you could eat? how unfortunate!

keep up the good work
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Somersizing
Stats: 194/184/160
BF:
Progress: 29%

Good going Christy!! It's hard to "stick to your guns" sometimes, but you did it!! Maby, if you're ever in a similar situation, you could request some steamed veggies/roasted meat or something if you are really hungry. Awesome job!!

Sunshine Smiles!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 09:32
Registered Member

Stats: 141/135/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Cool Hard look at Chinese food

We actually have a really great Chinese food place in town. They have veggies without sauce and skewered chicken which I'm trying to duplicate at home it's so good.

I think you could probably get beef and broccoli and as them to go light on the brown sauce - as I'm sure it's got corn starch in it.
Went out for my Mom and Grandfather's birthday and that's what I got with egg drop soup.

Gave the eggroll to Grandfather and one of the other family took home the rice and I was stuffed.
Probably went over my carbs a little but not too much.

Carrie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 13:10

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I’ve never been much in the willpower department either, Christy, but I’ll never forget the first time I actually looked at something (in my case, a donut) and said to myself: “that’s going to sap all your energy and make you feel terrible. Don’t eat it!” After LCing again for just a few weeks, I’m actually able to do this more and more. Good going, Christy! Keep it up.

-- Rhu
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 12:26
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

That's funny, rhubarb.... I had to chuckle when I read your post. I LOVE coffee and haven't given it up (yet) but I reallly love it with creme AND sugar. I've learned to live without the sugar, but the other morning, being half-asleep, I instinctively scooped up a teaspoon of sugar and then snapped, "Aaaaaack!! That stuff is POISON!!!" That was my proud moment for the week
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 13:10

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Alright, Teri!

Teri -- We have more in common than you know – I LOVE coffee, and I haven’t completely given it up either. Still add a little sugar, but I’ve cut back from 3 cups a day to one in the a.m., so that’s something. We should start a forum here for coffee addicts!

Good for you that you’ve learned to like it without sugar. Have you tried it with Splenda? I’m afraid it will taste “chalky”

-- Rhu
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 14:09
Starting Over!

I've just ordered some Splenda....so I don't know yet....but I'm crossing my fingers!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:45
Registered Member

Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thank you, thank you, thank you all sooo much!! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts to the point I am weeping with tears of joy. This messageboard of women & men supporting one another makes so proud to be here!! I come here and feel the strength of you all and then BELIEVE I can overcome my weight issue and get my doggone hormones in order... LoL!! That day at the Chinese restaurant I felt like I had something to prove to myself and my family. My parents do not eat right either... I was kind of naughty to my mother. I kept saying, "Mom, do you know how many carbs you are eating in that one bite." I don't know why I being pushy about her eating, but my guess is that I was thinking somewhere in the back of my mind that if I am eating healthy, I should go around and tell my mother how she can eat healthy too. You know what I mean?

Anyway, I wanted to thank you all for the vote of confidence. You can go out there and face the world of carbs all around and say "I'm not going to eat that." I'm changing each brain cell one at a time to think... "no carbs, low carbs" and hope that my weightloss goals will be achieved. Thanks for letting me share with you all.

Now, where can I get some Splenda? LOL!

Christy
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 19:11
Registered Member

Stats: 175/160/135
BF:
Progress: 38%

Christy - found you over here!

I can find Splenda in the baking section of my local grocery store. Right there with the Equal and such. It comes as individual packets and a pour spout box.

I can't tell you how it would taste in coffee or tea because I drink those without sugar anyway.

I do find that it leaves that funny sweetner after taste though.

As for your willpower that was awesome. Yes the hardest part is eating around non-LCers. But the longer I do this the easier time I am having just not eating it. I just don't want some of the stuff. Sweets may always be my weakness but even those just a same amount seems to do the trick lately.

Regards, Judy
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 20:54
Starting Over!

Smile

Y'know....it seems like when I'm eating lo carb around people who are eating potatoes and dinner rolls I just feel like, "If they only knew how bad that is for them!! And if they only knew how eating those simple carbs is working against them!!" ...but I'm not going to spend 3 hours reciting Atkins principles....I'm just waiting for the day when they say, "Terry, have you lost weight? How'd you do it?" .... and then I'll tell them all about my eggs and sausage for breakfast and steak 3 times a week....and how I've never felt better, had more energy, or so little appetite in my entire 43 years.

And I know that I can do it this time. You know why? Because of you guys.

Thanks.

Terry
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 22:44

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: I can't believe I did it!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mommy2boys
I was so proud of my will-power which I used to have NONE of before!!! I just had to share...

Hi Christy...

Congratulations on recognizing your success! I hope that you have written this experience up in your journal so that you always have it there to remind and inspire yourself!

Marlaine
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 00:36

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Good for you for making a decision and sticking to your guns. It feels great doesn't it?

But I too hope you either ate before or after the restaurant because, I too, say that going hungry is NOT the way to go.

Changing your diet and changing your habits is not about making a martyr of yourself! The great thing about changing to locarb eating is that you do not have to be hungry!!!

Yeah Locarb!