Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 19:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 128/114/114
BF:
Progress: 100%

Re: Ki Sweet

I am in the UK and use and supply Ki Sweet. It was invented by Dr Allen as has been mentioned, it has no carbs or calories per serving. 1/15th of a teaspoon is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of sugar as it is 15 times sweeter than sugar and you only need a tiny amount. It is heat stable so you can use it as sugar and yes it does crystallize on creme brulee. It works particularly well with cocoa in chocolate recipes. I use it for muffins, egg custards, creme brulee, almond crumbles, to sweeten soups and sauces and in hot drinks. I also make my own chocolate with it.
It is 100% natural, derived from Kiwi fruit. As has been discussed fructose and all the negative aspects relate to the commercial high fructose corn syrups which do not come from fruit. Ki Sweet is certified as low glycemic and has a special designation from the the American Diabetes Association, is safe for diabetics and children. All the high glycemic fruit sugars have been removed during processing. The formula is patent pending. It is the only natural sweetener on the market available to the public that I know of which is low glycemic and doesn't raise insulin or set off any cravings. I have been on Atkins for a year and reached my goal weight and during that time I have tried all sweeteners including Splenda, which gave me persistent headaches (I have since read that it can have severe side effects, one of which starts with headaches), which is why I started my search for a natural product and found Ki Sweet. My diet is virtually 100% natural now and I feel better than I have ever done. I was impressed with Ki Sweet and decided to become a distributor. If anyone wants any info or to order Ki Sweet (it is available in Canada, US, UK and a few other countries now), email me privately and I can arrange for you to purchase it at wholesale price. I am in contact with Dr Allen (she is the world expert on the glycemic index and has studied it for 20 years) if you have any questions, although I have asked her that many she is sick to death of me by now! I hope I haven't contravened any rules by posting this but it is quite a new product and as questions have been asked I thought it may be of interest. Ki Sweet bears no resemblance to Somersweet which contains Ace K and is not a natural product.

Cocoabear
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 17:14

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

The following is cut from: Opti-Sweet

- Quote -

Opti-Sweet is a sweetener derived from fruit concentrate. Opti-Sweet is 20 times sweeter than sugar and contains no Aspartame, Acesulfame-K or Saccharin.

Product Profile:

Amount Per Serving/ % Daily Value Calories 0
Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0 g 0%*
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%*
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%*
Total Carbohydrate <1 g 0%*
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%*
Sugars <1 g
Protein 0 g 0%*

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

^ Daily Value not established

Ingredients: Fruit Concentrate.

Suggested Use: Try using it in your coffees, teas and favorite foods.

Serving Size: 1 g (1 scoop)

- End Quote -

It does NOT have the same ingredients as SomerSweet (see label here).

I just saw a box of Opti-Sweet today - it is made from Trutina Dulcem Kiwi Fruit Concentrate, an all natural source. According to this web page, " Trutina Dulcem(TM) is a low glycemic sweetener made from kiwi fruit. Depending on which version of a low carb plan you use, this product may or may not be acceptable. It has just under 5gms of carb per teaspoon, and is 10X as sweet as sugar measure for measure. "

So, to get 5 grams of carb, you'd have to use 1 tsp of Opti-Sweet and you would get 10 tsps worth of sweetness.. or, conversely, to have the sweetness of 1 tsp of sugar, you'd use 1/10th of a tsp of Opti-Sweet at a "cost" of 1/2 carb.

I'm thinking of trying this stuff.. what appeals to me is that it is natural.. I'm getting headaches lately and wondering if it's from some of the AS I'm using.. If I decide to go for it (it was kind of expensive where I saw it, so I may look elsewhere first), I'll report back.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 02:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
It does NOT have the same ingredients as SomerSweet

Yes, if you read the early parts of this thread (2 years old almost) you'll see I first suggested the OptiSweet. The original intended formula for SomerSweet was almost identical to the OptiSweet (and the SlimSweet in the US) and probably the KiSweet as well. Legal wrangles between S.Somers and the GI Institute (Dr. Allen) meant the formula was drastically changed before it ever hit the market.

I can easily recommend the OptiSweet in SMALL servings. It's still a sugar, so I'd not recommend the caramelizing and making of too many sweets using larger amounts of any sugar/fructose. Consider a synergistic blend of stevia and OptiSweet for optimum flavour and a better (lower) carb and sugars load.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 11:32

Plan: self-created low carb
Stats: 340/307/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%
Talking Somersweet for Atkins

I've been hearing a lot about Somersweet lately. I was wondering if anyone has tried it, if they liked it and whether or not it's okay on Atkins? I'm afraid it falls into that sounds to good to be true category but I wanted to see if anyone here had an opinion. I don't think Suzanne Somers would tell me the whole, unvarnished truth about her own product, so what do you think guys?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 08:51

Plan: self-created low carb
Stats: 340/307/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks guys for all the input! This is something of a "hot potato", isn't it. I don't know if there is a perfect solution for us. As I mentioned in Karen's journal beyond never using any kind of sweetener any time for any reason (which I am neither able nor willing to do) I guess we just have to muddle along and keep trying what's out there. Personally, I hate Splenda and Equal. Sweet "n" Low is a little better tasting but versatile? Nope. I'm going to try SomerSweet. If anyone else gives it a go, let me know how you get on. I'll do the same. Barb
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 10:34

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 200/200/180 Male 70
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation somersweet good?

Check out this website... http://www.holisticmed.com/acek/

Somersweet contains acesulfame K
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 19:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
"Agave Nectar" (100% Agave Nectar-low glycemic)

Isn't that just tequila