Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 22:13

Plan: cad
Stats: 203/197/155
BF:
Progress: 13%
Angry wanting something sweet and legal

Hi, this is my first post
have been on this WOE since last Friday and already lost about 6 lbs.

My problem is I am craving something sweet right now. I don't know what to do... can anyone give me some suggestions for something quick and legal that is not high carb?

Please help me... If this doesn't work, I am surely doomed to diabetes - I already have heart disease and am trying to stick to CAD Healthy Heart Program

Thanks for all the help you can give me!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 04:53

Plan: SOUTH BEACH
Stats: 151.2/146/135
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default REWARD MEAL?

CAROL,
ARE YOU HAVING ANYTHING SWEET AT YOUR REWARD MEAL? YOU CAN HAVE CAKE OR COOKIES OR ICECREAM, AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT IN THE 1/3 PROPORTIONS WITH YOUR PROTEIN AND VEGGIES.
FOR THE OTHER 2 LOW CARB MEALS, YOU SHOULD ONLY HAVE THE VEGGIES AND PROTEIN. SO I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND ANYTHING SWEET WITH THEM. THIS CAUSES THE INSULIN RELEASE.
HAVE A DIET SODA. I KNOW THAT'S SOUNDS STUPID MAYBE, BUT IT MIGHT HELP!
GOOD LUCK.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 06:28

Plan: cad
Stats: 203/197/155
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks - I thought diet soda's were not good either
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 10:22
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts diet
Stats: 159/151/138
BF:
Progress: 38%
Exclamation Attn Chris and Carol

Hi, I am a new low carber on the CAD diet. The Heller book says that diet soda's are worse than regular and that aspartame, glutamates and other substitutes should be avoided at low carb meals.

Carol,
Have I got a solution for you! Here are some sweet options for you sugar cravings... First, I found that I only thought I was craving sugar, but then when I ate it at my reward meal, I did not seem to like as much as I remember. Second, there are herbal sugars that are okay in our CAD program. Try using Stevia or Splenda. You can find these at a local health store and they do not affect insulin. In fact, after taking a sip of anything with these sweetners, I lose my sugar craving all together. Do not drink too much in a day with these though because you may get a headache, they are really strong!

One more thing, stay away from foods with MSG, these cause major sugar cravings! I have had to revamp my whole diet because of MSG.

Hope I helped.

PS. CAD works! I have lost 5 pounds in 9 days!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 12:33

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default sweets

I can't remember the name of it...... but about a month or so ago I found a CHOCOLATE bar in the health food store that was LOW CARB.......and very, very good. To me anyway. My husband said it tasted like waxy-chocolate. I don't miss sweets at all these days. I haven't had anything sweet for so long that things like potatoes and bell peppers do the trick for me.

I will have to find out what it was called. I do remember that it was almost $3.00

Best of luck,
Libby