Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 13:18

Plan: CALP
Stats: 182/170/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Hello--I'm starting my new life Friday!

Hello, all. I am beginning the Carbohydrate Addict's diet on Friday. I have been chubby all my life, but I am definitely at maximum density now. I have been on Synthroid for about a year and a half and have consistently gained weight despite it! I have decided that the reason I gain and gain is because I am addicted to bread, pasta, potatoes and sugar. I am hopeful because I have a few friends who have had success with Atkins/low carb diets.

I have a few questions:

What vitamins should I take? I know Atkins recommends all kinds of vitamins and supplements, but is there really a reason to dose up?

Has anybody's cholesterol skyrocketed? I have very low cholesterol now, but am concerned.

Is it OK to drink Tab? It still has saccarine, not nutrasweet.

I am excited about my new lifestyle and look forward to meeting many of you!

Linda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 14:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default welcome!

Altho vitamins are really important, for most U dont need to take 100's to be effective. You do need to be on a really good multivitamin, calcium-magnesium, and most people find that potassium is really important...at least the 1st few weeks because low-carbing tends to deplete your system of this. I have rarely heard of anyones tests sky rocketing, if they do it is because they are "fat" sensitive. Im sure U will be just fine. Wait for about 2 months then have it re-checked. Saccarine really isnt very good. Can U switch to a different brand? Also try to keep the artificial sweetners to a minimum. I wish U lots of luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 17:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/198/160
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Linda! I am also starting on Friday! I want to be sure I have everything I need when I start. Good luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 17:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/172/145
BF:
Progress: 23%

Welcome Linda and Wannab,
I started Sunday and I am doing fine on the Atkins Diet. I only weighed myself once since then and lost a pound but then decided to weigh on Sundays. Anyhow best of luck to both of you!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 19:49

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome aboard!

For some anecdotal evidence on cholesterol and blood pressure I'll offer you this - after one month on Atkins my total cholesterol went from 201 to 153 and my blood pressure went from 135/85 to 108/71.

In addition, I have not had a migraine since I started and I used to have them pretty much weekly. Furthermore I usually beat the alarm in the morning and can get going pretty easily whereas before it used to literally take me two to four hours to drag myself out of bed.

I highly recommend going and getting your bloodwork done before you start and then have it retested after six weeks (minimum).

I also recommend starting a journal here - that is very useful.