Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-05, 18:32

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 242/242/160 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress:
Default ok, I need help! Questions about SB!

Ok, so I went grocery shopping today and Im not really sure what I am looking for. I have the list of foods that we can eat but are those the ONLY foods we can have? What about soup? What are we looking for on the label? Carbs? Sugar? Fat? etc. Please help me out I am so confused. If something has very few carbs and no sugar or a little sugar can we have it? What about on Phase 2? It doesnt really explain all this in the book.

I appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 10:39

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

I have to be honest with you I make my own soup. I've never bought soup ina can. I just use stock/broth from a can, low fat, low salt either beef or chicken mix in 1 can of stock with 1/2 can water. Then I take the veggies I can have and make my soup. I've had broccli, veggie, veggie & beef, chicken and veggie. It's not hard to make just takes a little time. I don't think those soups in the can are healthy. Hope this helps you some.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 16:45

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

South Beach is all about eating whole unprocessed foods that are lower on the glysemic index and controlling saturated fat. I agree with Skippie...cook it yourself whenever you can. If you have to have canned soup don't have "cream of" canned soup.

When you do need to use packaged or canned foods read the label and make a decision. In general, look for no added sugar, high fiber, and low saturated fat.

When eating on Phase I, don't try to push the limits. It's only for a couple of weeks. If done correctly it will give you a tremdous jump start into Phase II.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 16:47

Plan: SBD / BFL
Stats: 304.5/285.5/235 Male 6'1"
BF:40%/38%/15%
Progress: 27%

Michele,

In general, while we are not counting carbs or fat, you want to avoid things that have sugar, saturated fats, or trans fats. It's usually best to shop from the outer rim of the grocery store as that is where the fresh foods usually are. The key is to try and avoid processed foods as much as possible and get fresh unprocessed alternatives.

Edit: Also when looking at thinks like dairy, remember to get low fat or fat-free.

Edited to correctly state SBD rules.

Last edited by AZRaptor : Mon, Jan-10-05 at 18:48.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 16:49

pstar beat me too it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-05, 16:55

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

AZRaptor provided excellent advice in talking about shopping the outer rim of the store for fresh, whole, unprocessed foods.

How we shop and how we cook have changed dramatically over the last year.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 11:05

Plan: dr.schwarzbein
Stats: 160/159/127 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Cool Low fat and Fat free foods!

AZ Raptor, Cool Name!
Most people fall for the low fat and fat free foods advice because we have been told that over and over that that was the way to go. However, after reading the Dr. Schwarzbein book, "The Schwarzbein Principle", she points out that this is the reason for so many overweight people out there. If a food is labled fat free or low fat - that mean sugars have been added to make it taste better. You may as well eat the real thing - if it's unprocessed, not man made, real carbs, fruits (in moderation) and vegies and good fats. If you combine a balance meal of good fats, good carbs and protein - you'll not only feel full, but won't stimulate insulin secretion which makes you fat and over time - insulin resistant. "Fat connot be stored without the presence of insulin because insulin is necessary to store fat in fat cells. Fats do not stimulate insulin secretion at all. Even if a person ate fat all day long, this would not stimulate the pancreas to secrete insulin; therefore fat could not be stored in the fat cells." Dr. Scwarsbein pg. 11. I fell for the low fat non fat thing and it really messed me up. Thanks for listening!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 12:48

Clearly all plans have different approaches and different views of what should and should not be eaten. Atkins, Zone, Schwarzbein and South Beach all have different views on fat, but to stay within plan on South Beach (which this post is in the forum for) saturated fats and trans fats need to be avoided when possible.

Low-fat or fat-free are preferred on SBD, if those items have additional sugar in them though they would still be avoided because of that.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 16:29
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

You're right AZ!! I prefer the thinking and logic that accompanies the SBD plan.

Joaniestew-
If Schwarzbein works for you, great!! If you want to debate the different values of different plans, there is a forum called The War Zone for that.

Maybe you should post your information over there.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 20:07

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 219/219/180 Male 5'8''
BF:
Progress:

While on phase 1 of SB, do you need to eliminate ALL carbs? i know not to eat white breads.. i ate a few cashew nuts and some sugar/fat free jello pudding.. they have some carbs but they arent white breads...

by the way, when i weighed myself yesterday i wieghed 219.. now i am 221...

i must be doing something wrong.. help!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 22:09
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

http://www.mizfrogspad.com/south_beach_diet.htm

Use this link to get all the updated food lists for phase I.

If you weigh yourself at different times of the day, you will always see fluctuations in your weight. You need to weigh yourself at the same time each day, if you wiegh everyday. I weigh myself in the morning only as this is when I will see the lowest number.

Did you read the South Beach book? Do you have the Good Carb, Good Fats reference guide? Its not about eliminating all carbs. Its about having good carbs like veggies on phase I. There are no grains, potatoes, rice, bread, cereals, sugar or fruit on phase I. BUT there are plenty of veggies!!

after you answer my questions, I'll be able to help you further.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 00:34

adidapb:

If you would like feedback from other Beachers I'd recommend starting a journal and posting what you eat each day in it. I'm on week two of induction, and I'm definately eating carbs, but they are natural carbs, not high GI (Glycemic Index) carbs: veggies, dairy and a little bit of nuts are ok, Phase I.

I just wouldn't go overboard on the nuts and dairy like I did the other day.