Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 00:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 355/321/215
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default LC syrup at Wal Mart

I was at a Super Wal Mart today and in the "pancake syrup" section, they stock a Log Cabin sugar free pancake syrup for about $2 for a 12 oz bottle. It's sweetened with Splenda (ala Atkins syrup) and the label notes 12g carbs comprised of 12g of sugar alcohol.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

For YOUR benefit as a new LCer, you should be aware that 12g of sugar alcohols means there is another sweetener, probably maltitol or lactitol or sorbitol, as well as Splenda in that there syrup. Be aware of the serving size, as well.

Any syrup FULLY sweetened with Splenda (and WITHOUT sugar alcohols, a la ATKINS) is going to be lower than 12g of carb.

Hope this info helps!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 14:41

Plan: Low Carb/14-1/2 inches lost!
Stats: 186/161/155
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lee-my Mom just found a wonderful LC syrup called "Cozy Cottage" or something like that! LOL And I believe it had less than 5 carbs for 1/4 cup. Sometimes it's funny that you'll find products in differents places in the store and by taking your time and reading labels you will find the LC stuff.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 19:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 355/321/215
BF:
Progress: 24%

Is that 5 gr "net carbs" or 5 carbs comprised of sugar alcohols? The Log Cabin notes 12 gr of carbs comprised entirely of sugar alcohols. Atkins allows you to reduce the carb count by the sugar alcohol and dietary fiber count. So Log Cabin has a net 0 gr of carbs for Atkins.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 19:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Lee365, can you tell me where in Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution it says one can deduct all the sugar alcohol carbs? What page number and which edition?

Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 14:44

BF:

Lee-Oh gosh, this is all so complicated for me! LOL It says "total carbs" and nothing about "sugar alcohols". It is made with Splenda. It states 1/4 cup has 4 carbs (1% DV-whatever that means!) and 10 calories. It says 2 tablespoons = a free food for diabetics. Does that help! LOL
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 14:55

BF:

Lee-If you are ever in doubt about something you are going to eat use the "low carb tools" at the top of the page and then access the "Hidden Carb Calculator". You put in all the information off the label and it will show the TRUE CARB COUNT. I just put in the information off the "Cozy Cottage Syrup" and it actually stated the carbs to be 2.66, that's LOWER than what is on the label. YIPEE. French toast (pork rinds)...here I come!!