Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 167.5/158/120
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Where to buy?

Dear all, hi I am quite new here, so happy to see eveybody's doing so well!
I've read pages and pages of posts, and it seems like there are so many things to buy and so many online stores are selling them... where do all of you shop? eg: splenda, syrup and what is "stevia"?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 01:33

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I shop at the same old place - the big chain grocery stores that we have around here. I am trying to make a point of eating basic, easily obtainable foods as much as possible and it isn't that hard.

All of the chain stores around here carry Splenda - which surprised me because I had never heard of it before I got DANDR.

Stevia is an artificial sweetener that, as I understand it, can usually be found in health food stores.

The real trick I am running into is finding meat that is not filled with sugar of some kind. I am thinking about getting a half a beef or something to short-circuit that whole sorry mess.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 03:23
Registered Member

BF:

Hey wbahn thanx, you are always answering my question
i have just moved to SF a while ago, and not fimiliar yet, but all the grocery stores i've been to don't carry splenda or stevia ( i haven't check GNC yet, they probably have it... ), after reading the posts here, everybody seems to use splenda than other sweetener..., i am using sweet n' low liquid sweetener, and i have checked all the ingredients with the "not allowed" list, and it seems fine to me, but why isn't there anybody using it...? is splenda better than the rest? and where can i find sugar twin? many people metioned it a lot too...

Talking about meat, i started buying fresh meat rather than burger or sausages, cuz i've finally found two thingie don't have starch or sugar filled, Zacky farms hot italian turkey sausage and Wampler's burger meat (turkey), but i personally don't like turkey that much, though the turkey sausage taste alright, but the turkey burger meat has shreds of bones in it... ((yuk))... .

There are goodies like maple syrup, gelatin and splenda i would like to get from online store (there are so many online stores) but they don't all carry three of these products all together, does everybody make seperate purchase from different store...or is there a pretty decent one that carrys all of them...?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 14:43

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

The liquid Sweet 'n Low has the advantage that there are no other ingredients to bulk it up - and those incredients typically carry on the order of one carb per serving.

I don't use it because I dispise the taste (and aftertaste) of saccharin. I haven't noticed any aftertaste with Splenda (though others have) but I also don't use it except very sparingly - in fact I've only used it on four occasions so far.

You won't find Sugar Twin in the states because it is still banned here even though all of the health scares about it have pretty well proven to be bogus.

Can't help with the on-line stores I'm afraid - the only one I have purchased from is Atkins when I bought my vitamins.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 20:01
Registered Member

BF:

thanx wbahn, that was really helpfu, everytime i log in this forum i learnt something new------ thanx -