Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 09:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 258/235/200
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default 11th day paranoia....

I'm into my 11th day of induction. I had lost 9 lbs as of yesterday morning. This morning I had gained 1 lb back. I know I shouldn't be weighing myself so often but its great to see the loss. My quandry is that yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in a long time, did a 20min walk, 5 minute bike and a few ab crunches, no weights. I also tried my first packet of splenda in some salad. I was really hoping the exercise (which I'll continue anyway) would have accelerated my loss alittle, yet the 1 lb gain? Did the splenda
have anything to with it? Just a little paranoid after such a great start. Thanks for any help here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 09:56

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

It is impossible to gain a pound of fat over night. You are probably just retaining some water.

As as reminder......16 oz equals a pound. Normal water intake is 64 oz or 4 pounds. Your daily weight will probably flux 1 to 6 pounds a day depending on what and how much you eat.

Take a deep breath and relax. If you are going to weight every single day, may I suggest you write it down then average it out 7 days at a time
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 09:57

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bojake, if that one lb fluctuation has you rattled what ever you do do not get on the scale in the evening Weight can fluctuate by up to 9 lbs in one day!! Weekly, it will fluctuate just as well.

Rarely is fat loss a direct plummet downward - you lose a little, you stop, you lose a little more, you stop for a bit. This is your body adjusting to things. When you get on the scales you're not just measuring what you weigh, you're also measuring any food and water that is left inside you. You're measuring fat, bones, organs, and MUSCLE. If you've gone to the gym for the first time in a while you're going to have some muscles in the process of reparing themsevles - this alone causes water to be retained.

My advice to you is to take a deep breath and keep up what you've been doing - 9 lbs is a sure indication it is working. And of course, dont let the scales do a number on you - they're not the boss of YOU!

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 11:22

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

They're right, don't worry about a little itty bitty pound. You can sit and drink a gallon of water and go get on the scale, and oh my!... now you're 6 lbs heavier! LOL

I was getting on the scale 10 times a day and it was driving me nuts, so I took the scale and put it out in the trunk of my car so that i'm not tempted to weigh myself. I'm trying to only take my weight every 3 days or so now. I suggest you do something similar

Good luck!
-Ambrea

P.S. you're doing great so far, so don't worry!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 14:32

Stats: 223/209/200 Male 73 in
BF:
Progress: 61%

Welcome bojake!

Nat is way right on this. You did something different. That difference will have an effect. You just got surprised by the effect it had. When you first started the diet, you must have noticed that your body went into a conserve mode. if you're like me, some bodily functions just halted, and some strange feeling and happenings occurred.

Assumptions suck don't they?

Anyway, you're well on your way. Watch for shape change as well as weight change, as you'll see reduction in wrist, waist, thigh, leg, neck, etc. even if weight does not decrease.

good luck, and keep us updated.