Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Unhappy

Got the flu!!!! Been SO SICK!!! Started to feel sick on a little Monday, woke up ~3:00a.m. on Tuesday with the worst sore throat I've ever had and that sick all over feeling. Missed work yesterday and stayed home again today.

Coffee in the a.m. tasted good and felt good on the throat. Tried just one sip of water and almost lost it, so water was out! Thank God for diet 7-Up -- sipped it all day and night -- drank almost 2 liters! That and a little soup was all I could manage yesterday. Today so far I've only had a bit of coffee and diet 7-Up -- woke up over and over again last night and felt like I was being roasted -- SO HOT! Been getting sharp pains in the stomach and still queasy. Needless to say, between being sick and unable to even consider eating protein, the workouts are on hold for now. I'll probably just take the rest of this week off to recover and start again next week -- instead of a 12 week program, this will be a 13 week one for me.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 12:04

BF:

Still sick -- this is really hanging on! I freeze all day and roast all night -- can't sleep and I'm SO tired. Coughing, trouble breathing, nauseated from time to time yet. Did not go on the church trip to La Crosse -- was still too sick -- sent Bobby with husband.

Still holding off on the exercise, and I'm getting really depressed -- want to get back into it, but know the cardio is out. Wouldn't be able to get through it when I'm coughing so much. If the nausea settles down and I can eat enough protein I might start the weights yet this week -- I feel like I need to get back into the routine again and maybe that will actually help me feel better. But at the same time I'm worried that pushing myself too hard could make me worse -- not sure what to do -- just take it one day at a time, I guess.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 12:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Peg, let yourself get better and then get back at it. Working out when you're sick or overly tired can lead to overtraining - take a look through Lisaf's gym log; she was forced to take a few weeks off for this very reason.

You'll be back at it when you're well - remember it takes 6 weeks to grow muscle - it takes weeks to lose it as well; it wont happen overnight. Rest and get better.

Nat
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 12:06

BF:

Thanks, Nat -- I'm glad to know that I'm not losing lots of muscle every day. I am just now today beginning to feel better (except for occasional nausea). So if I continue to improve Sunday should be a good day to start again (that's 2 weeks 'lost').
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 21:53

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey Peg!
How are you feeling? Hopefully you are getting better/all better!

Take care!
Linda
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 12:18

BF:

I am finally getting better, thanks! Thought I was over it, but ended up going home sick again last week! I lost 3 weeks, just started back on Sunday. Did my upper body workout yesterday.

It's been a very bad few weeks -- stressful, chaotic, and with much sickness. I haven't been able to keep up with postings. My brother had genetic testing for Huntington's Disease (it's the same disease that our mother has), and the test was positive. He seemed to be doing alright with it, but last week he attempted suicide. He was critical for a while, but he's doing better now -- he said they put him on two anti-depresants and he's feeling better. He'll get out of the hospital on Friday, and I really hope he's okay now.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:02

BF:

Oh Peg!
I am so sorry to hear about you being sick and your brother. How sad! I know it has to be a very stressful time for you as well. You are both in my prayers.

Linda
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 15:45

BF:

Oh Peg, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I thought you had been battling a really nasty bug and would be back when you were feeling better. I just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and hoping that everything turns out OK for you and your family.

Nat
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 12:12

BF:

Thanks so much for your support. I'm glad that I'm finally able to get back into the exercise routine -- it's such a wonderful stress reliever and I really need that right now!

Plans for today: the gym we joined has finally opened! A couple of people I know went there yesterday and said it's great, so I'm really looking forward to going. Hope I don't stand out too much as a 'novice' as far as the machines go (I can just see myself now, squinting though my bifocals trying to read the instructions on the machines!).

I'll go there today after work for the first time for my LBWO. It will seem strange to try to translate my workout from using dumbells to machines, but I think it will be nice to have a few more options.

I checked gym logs and found a couple of people who use machines. I'll use that info to base today's workout on. but I'll need to bring a paper and pencil for notes in case I need to adjust things for next time.

Wish me luck!
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:42

BF:

First LBWO at gym with machines went okay. First I spent some time looking at the machines -- see which muscle groups they are used for, how they work, etc. I wandered around the 'novice' area with my BFL Daily Progress Report log and a pencil, making notes. Later I noticed a man doing the same thing, and he had a BFL DPR, and was also making notes. I had to wait for him to finish with the ab machine, and we talked a couple of minutes about BFL. Also chatted with two other women (the novice area was mostly women, which was nice -- don't need to re-set the machine from 350 pounds from the guy before you). Everyone there seemed very nice and considerate, so it was a good, positive experience.

I will need to change the weights next time around: need to increase weights (a lot!) on leg press, decrease on lying curls, and decrease on calf press.

I'm also not quite sure if I'm using the calf press correctly -- did not seem to feel it working the calf muscles as much as I should have, instead it seemed to also work the quads -- I'll ask one of the trainers there about it next time I do LBWO on Monday.

Also, I did not like the ab machine in the novice section -- the padded front that you lean into to do 'crunches' was in the wrong place for a woman! I really struggled to get the pads to come under the bust line. There is a different type of ab machine in the 'intermediate' section (which is also where the calf machine is -- there is no calf machine in the novice section) that I think I would like better because you hang onto grips and push to do crunches instead of pressing your chest into pads. I'm going to try that one next time. I also tried the 'hip abduction' machine on the recommendation of another woman there, and I can feel the muscles on the inner thighs today, so it must work!

Here is what I did:

Leg Press: 12x75, 10x90, 8x105, 6x120, 12x105, 12x105 (far too light -- experimented later to see how much I could press).

Lying Curls (face down): 12 x 20, 10 x 30, 8 x 30, 6 x 30, 12 x 30, 12x 30 (could not finish -- too much weight)

Angled, Seated Calf Press: 12 x 40, 10x 50, 8x60, 6x70, 12x60, 12x60 (too much weight, could not finish with proper form)

Abs machine 12 x 20, 10x30, 8x40, 6x50, 12x40, 12x40

Revised plan for Monday:

Leg Press: 12x135, 10x155, 8x175, 6x215, 12x175, 12x175

Lying Curls: 12x10, 10x20, 8x20, 6x30, 12x20, 12x20

Angled Seated Calf Press: 12x25, 10x37.5, 8x50, 6x62.5, 12x50, 12x50

Abs machine: seemed okay as above, but I'll be using the other ab machine and might need to adjust weights.

Well, there it is! A few months ago I would never have considered joining or going to a gym! I came home from work, got into my p.j.'s, and had no energy to do anything. I felt awful all of the time -- indigestion, heartburn, tired -- just walking up a flight of stairs left me winded and gasping for breath. I said that I didn't have time to exercise -- had to help take care of my invalid mother, take care of my grandson, take care of my husband. I guess it took me 50 years to understand that unless I take care of myself, I won't be able to take care of anyone else.

There is such an unbelievable difference in how I feel, how I look, my energy level, and my entire outlook that it's hard to believe I'm the same person! Thanks so much to everyone for providing me with the support, knowledge, and tools to make these wonderful changes!
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:48

BF:

Peg, I love reading stories like the one you just told - makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and so very hopeful. Have you read Pam B's story off the leanandstrong.com website? You made me think of her

Nat
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 12:45

BF:

Nat,

No, I have not read her story, but I will.

Crazy weekend -- lots of snow and blowing and drifting -- just stayed home on Saturday and did lots of house projects. Took care of my 7 month old grandaughter on Sunday (my daughter and son-in-law bought a house and are doing lots of painting, etc., getting it ready before they move in). Bobby is home sick today -- husband took off work to stay home with him today. If he's feeling better, they will meet me at the gym after work, otherwise I'll just stop by myself.

Today's plan:

LBWO:

Leg Press machine: 12x135, 10x155, 8x175, 6x215, 12x175, 12x175

Lying Leg Curls: 12x10, 10x20, 8x20, 6x30, 12x20, 12x20

Angled Calf Press: 12x25, 10x37.5, 8x50, 6x62.5, 12x50, 12x50

Abs Machine: 12x20, 10x30, 8x40, 6x50, 12x40, 12x40

Planned meals:

Myoplex shake
1/4 c. cottage cheese; 1/4 c. mixed berries
Left over roast beef, asgaragus and green beans
1/4 c. cottage cheese; raw broccoli and cauliflower
Roast turkey, salad with blue cheese dressing, cauliflower
CS protein shake
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:19

BF:

Had sick grandson Sunday - Tuesday. Went to gym alone on Monday to do LBWO. Went well. Had a trainer stop by the Calf Press machine to ask if I needed help -- that was great because I did not think I was using it correctly. He explained how to use it and noticed my BFL sheet -- told me it was a GREAT plan. He had started at 280 pound 1-1/2 years ago, and now he's a trainer -- he looks great. Hope someone will think the same about me a year from now.

Forgot the UBWO plan in my bag in the van (I'm doing this at work) so I'll add what I did tomorrow. I'm meeting DH and grandson at gym after work.

Menu for today:

Omelet w/ veggies
1/4 cup cottage cheese; 1/4 cup mixed berried
Chef salad w/romaine, spinach, leftover baked chicken breast, olive oil and vinegar dressing
Left over baked chicken breast (1 oz.); broccoli and cauliflower spear
Baked ham, salad w/olive oil and vinegar dressing, cauliflower
CS protein shake
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 20:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by pegm
He had started at 280 pound 1-1/2 years ago, and now he's a trainer -- he looks great. Hope someone will think the same about me a year from now.

I'm sure they will! You are doing GREAT and you have such a wonderful attitude.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 12:04

BF:

Thanks for the support! Overslept this morning and did not get cardio in before leaving for work. However, it's SNOWING!!! HARD!!! We're supposed to get 8 to 12 inches by tomorrow a.m., and schools are closing early. So, I'll leave work at 1:00 today and pick up Bobby -- will get cardio in this afternoon - he and I can do Tai Bo together -- he really likes that.

Menu today:

CS shake
1/4 cup cottage cheese; 1/4 cup mixed berries
Left over ham, cauliflower and green beans
1/4 cup cottage cheese; 1 spear each broccoli and cauliflower
Grilled steak, salad w/olive oil and vinegar dressing
CS shake

Hopefully the snow stops during the night and I can go to the gym tomorrow for UBWO -- if not, I'll just use dumbells at home as I had been doing before the gym opened.