Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 11:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 22/22/8
BF:
Progress: 23%
Angry Having a hard time getting in!

Is it the website or is it my computer? I have a hard time getting in here. When I do, it takes forever! What is the problem and is it going to be fixed? I dont have any trouble getting into other websites so I dont think it is my computer. Other people are also having the same trouble.

Help! I love this site but I dont have the time to wait or get angry.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 12:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Cheryl,

Is this all the time? If not, can you give me some times and dates. They system was slow this last Monday, but looks fine otherwise.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 12:14

BF:
Smile

This morning it was fine around 4 am. Michigan time. Then between 10 till now I could get in but it took forever. I wait and wait then finally it will click in. When I received the email that you posted to my thread I was able to get right back in. I have had trouble everyday this week. It varies in the times. The morning it has happened. Sometimes I can get in sometimes I cant. This morning it was fine. Yesterday morning I had a hard time but was able to. Thank you for responding so quickly.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 12:40
Forum Founder

Hi Cheryl,

If you feel a bit adventerous to do some technical detective work to find the source of the problem, check this post:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=16891

This will not speed things up, but will tell you who is slowing things down. From my experience, it's usually an ISP or their network provider. We happen to be hosted on a very reliable and fast network hub.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 12:47

BF:
Smile

I dont have time right now but I will do it tomorrow. I dont think it is my isp cause I dont have any trouble with any other website. But I shall do as you say your better at this than I,

Thank you.

Also wtg on your weightloss. You are doing great!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 12:49

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Wa'il I have noticed going to the main page with all the forums list it's slow. Once inside a forum it goes pretty fast. Not sure what the problem is.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 13:15
Forum Founder

O.K. we can do a few things to speed things up (move the PM stuff to the "Profile" section, and nix the Chat, since it isn't used much).

But it is best if you guys do the "Trace Route" thing in the link above, and email me the output. It won't be helpful if we remove features, if the problem is from a a few ISPs, since things may remain slow, regardless of changes. I just did a test, and the main forum page loads in 2 seconds for me.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 17:51

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Cheryl,

I notice a big difference in performance with this particular site depending on whether I'm using Netscape or Internet Explorer. I'm running on NT and find that this the pages on site (and only this site) take three times as long to load using Netscape as they do using IE. What browser and platform are you running?

Are you running slowly on every site? If so, I'd be happy to walk you through a lot of fixes that could improve your performance -- pm me specific info on your platform, etc. Have you talked to your ISP? Often it helps to switch the access number you are dialing in to. You might also talk to your phone company and ask them to perform a line noise test. If there is line noise, you will experience slow transfer rates and your phone company needs to fix it.

Many possible causes. It could be a corruption in your TCP/IP file. I could help you fix that. It could be the beginning of a modem failure. I could help you identify that. Sometimes adding a modem string to your modem settings will help stabilize a connection. I could help you find an appropriate modem string and tell you where to type it.

Allison
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 03:56

BF:
Smile

I dont have any problems with any other website. I dont have problems all the time in here. After I posted the first time to complain and wa'il resonded it has been better. Like this morning I got in fine but when I go to post it was very slow (and not all post either just a few) and one time it even posted 3 times! I dont know. I am going to do the test that wa'il said for me to do and see what happens. Other people have said the same thing. I have a new computer. I dont have any trouble with other websites. Thanks for your help I will tell you what the outcome is after the test. I will never leave this site no matter how slow cause I LOVE IT!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 12:30

BF:
Smile

wa'il, Did you get my email with the report? What do you think? I dont understand it. It just look like garblie gook to me.

Today I havent had any trouble really. Hopefully the problem isnt with me cause I have a new computer. I really dont care for aol but that will have to do for now.

Thanks for your help!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 13:05
Forum Founder

Hi Cheryl, I got your traceroute file, and it looks good. Please run it again when you experience a slow connection, and it should point out where the problem is coming from.

Wa'il