Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer to have happen to you?
Not loose for weeks on end and then wake up one morning down a lot 8 4.08%
Loose a little weight each day 188 95.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 13:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/124/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%
Question Would you rather?

When I first started Atkins, I noticed that I would loose a weight and then I would not loose weight for a week or a week and half. Then I would wake up in the morning and magically I was down in weight. Now it seems as though I loose a little every day. Which would you rather have happen to you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 14:09

Plan: CALP to goal/now my plan
Stats: 188/160/155 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Definitely, a little each day. I get so frustrated when I know I've done things right, and the scale isn't moving. I know all the reasons for it, but it still makes me unhappy..
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 14:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 56//! Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

i definitely would like a little loss every day... it would be CONSTANT encouragement...

for instance... last night i went to THREE holiday parties... and i was SOOOO tempted everywhere i turned... it was perhaps one of the hardest nights in the 7 or so months i've been low-carbing... seriously... i almost caved 100 times...

anyway... when i got on the scale this morning... it SURE WOULDA been nice to have seen at least a half pound gone... but no... i was SO disappointed... i think the universe shoulda let me have lost at LEAST a half pound just for the EFFORT! lol
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 14:39

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I'll take the loss any way I can get it!

I have been losing both ways and its whats gone by the first of each month that really counts.... I am averaging a little over 10 pounds a month since I began last April and I am happy with that.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 15:10
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I voted a little each day.

But I get it both ways so it's all good.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 17:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Gosh, I'd take either and be perfectly happy!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 18:35
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

You mean we get a choice? As long as I know I am eating the way I should, I stay away from the scale long enough to get the oomph that seeing my weight go down gives me. I'm just too impatient to get on the scale every day and see the inevitable variations that my body throws at me.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 19:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'll take it any way I can get it. Sure, I'd like to see the scale down a little each day, but I know that it's not practical to expect that given water retention and natural fluctuations.
As long as the overall trend is in the downward direction, I'm satisfied.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 21:05

Stats: 219/205.4/125 Female 63
BF:38/36/22
Progress: 14%

If it's down, I'm happy! I did vote for a little each day, because ideally this is how losing the weight would keep me the most motivated. However, a little here, a little there, or a big WHOOSH all at once, anything's better than nothing! :-D
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 22:24
coffee...yum!

Plan: Who knows
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6
BF:oh/my/gosh
Progress: 22%

I voted for not losing for weeks on end.....just because...I like to only weigh once a month. I get to darn frustrated if I do more than that!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 08:19
~UnWritten~

Plan: My LC Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

A little each day would be great motivation but I'd be happy with either as long as the scale is moving in the right direction.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 09:41

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 223/192.2/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:getting better
Progress: 42%

I voted a little each day.....Not that I weigh everyday, but like most everyone else here, I would find that very motivating.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 09:48

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Default In control!

While both would be good news - my own long stalls were frustrating and test your will power. Over the course of my experience I was and am able to control my weight gain or weight loss with the amount of extra carbs I eat in maintenance - largely fruit, milk, beer (LC), and multi-grain bread (Arnolds regular 12 grain).

If I eat those extra carbs I maintain or gain. To lose I just eliminate the milk, bread and beer. Keep a modest amount of fruit.

Much rather have that control to lose lbs over the course of a week. If I stayed the same for awhile and then had a larger loss of weight - would be puzzeled - maybe pleased, but would want to know why?

The largest drop in weight for me was when I cheated in my induction and had a huge bowl of Bing Cherries. That Monday I dropped 4 lbs! I knew what happened in that case.

April 1 will be 3 years for me. They say a diet is not a success until 5 years so I have two years to go. I have no intention of changing since I totally enjoy my menu choices and my pants waist size! Not to mention no more drowsiness after lunch at company meetings.

I can only feel a bit lucky though that induction worked like the textbook for me. I reduced my carbs to 20 gm a day and kept it there most of that time for 3.5 months. Any stalls I had were due to upping my carbs - my longest stall came when I got addicted to mixed nuts. Stopped eating the nuts and I started losing again. Good luck to everyone in stalls and unable to lose!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 10:13

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

Interesting question...

I agree that having long stall periods may give you an edge in real willpower, because every fiber of your being is screaming that this isn't working, you might as well eat what you want.

It will probably come in handy once I reach goal to already have that kind of mental ability in my corner, so to speak.

Losing every day is much nicer on the consitution though, and keeps you in a better mindset on a consistent basis, kind of a daily small reward.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-04, 11:27

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

[QUOTE=Lipid]I'll take the loss any way I can get it!

Hear! Hear!