Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 20:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question sugar in my almonds

I usually buy my almonds at the grocery store but i was at sam's warehouse club (one of those stores that you buy everything in bulk,) so i bought a big thing of almonds.

i got home and read the label - it said 1 g. sugar. what is that all about? is there usually sugar in almonds? i looked at the label of the almonds i normally buy and it said nothing about sugar. should i eat them or throw them out? help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/147/130
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

Okay! I had to do some homework on this one to get documented information. However, the assumation I had made was correct... (Yeah!)

I searched on fda.com and found the following:

FDA- How can the food label help people on special diets?
Quote:
The sugars include naturally present sugars, such as lactose in milk and fructose in fruits, as well as those added to the food, such as table sugar, corn syrup, and dextrose. The label can claim "no sugar added" but still have naturally occurring sugar. An example is fruit juice.

The sugars contained in the almonds are naturally occurring. This has a lower glycemic value than processed sugar.

Munch happily but sparingly would be my advice! (Nuts tend to slow me down.)