Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 10:56

Plan:
Stats: //120
BF:
Progress:
Talking Birthday cake help....

Hi everyone! My birthday id next friday and rather than have my parents try to stuff cake down my throat I would like to make my own cake to bring. Any recipe suggestions? Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 11:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

my first thought is lowcarb cheesecake. i love it and make it for any special occasions i attend. my dad wants me to make one for him next week for his birthday. i put mash thawed frozen raspberries with a little lemon rind and sweetener on top.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 11:53

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Debbie, could you share your recipe for cheesecake? The ones I have made were less than wonderful. Thank you!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 12:52

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

check out karen rysavy's site trulylowcarb.com. there's a link to here site in our links section. she has written a cookbook, which i love, and she gives out some free recipes at her site. the cheesecake is one of them. i think you have to click on order cookbook, which takes you to all the titles. the free recipes are highlighted. i've made this several times and everyone loves it. i add a bit more sweetener than the recipe requires, but that's just me.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 12:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

#6   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 13:03

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Birthday Cake

Classic Birthday Cake

You can find this recipe at www.lowcarbluxury.com under special ingredients cooking.

good luck,

Bonnie
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 16:39

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 18:35

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Default WHO HAD THE CAKE?

I remember seeing on someones web page a picture of then standing nexted to there Low carb wedding cake. Who? And what was the recipe for that! hee hee!
SMILE,
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 18:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: WHO HAD THE CAKE?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainny
I remember seeing on someones web page a picture of then standing nexted to there Low carb wedding cake. Who? And what was the recipe for that! hee hee!
SMILE,

That would be Crystal, in "Crystal living la vida low-carb!"

http://www.lowcarb.ca/stories/story006.html
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 20:15

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Yes I remember reading about her....wonder what has happened since?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-18-01, 23:43

Stats: 182/168/140 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/38%/?
Progress: 33%

I'm still around - I follow the low-carb-canada mailing list a lot more as it's there in my inbox all the time rather than having to remeber to come here and check things out - but I've dropped in here to the forum occaisionally to check things out - you guys have some great thread here and a great community.

W'ail e-mailed me to tell me you guys were talking about me - no wonder my ears were buzzing!!! Just kidding - LOL!!!

Anyways, my sugar free, low carb black forest wedding cake was two layers of a low carb chocolate cake recipe I got off the web, with Lucky Leaf Splenda Sweetened Cherry Pie filling in the middle(available in the US which I drove down from New Westminster, BC (where I lived at the time) to Bellingham to get), frosted with Splenda Sweetened Whipping Cream and very well drained and rinsed marachino cherries on top (which I didn't eat - they were more for decoration and for everyone else).

If you like I can type out the recipe for the chocolate cake - it's one I've seen alot on the web, I may have seen it on the low carb luxury site, and I think I got it off the Cam McDonald site (another mega low carb recipe site).

There is also an awesome, real looking white birthday cake (the Classic Birthday Cake already mentioned earlier in this thread) on the low carb luxury site that I haven't tried yet, but it looks workable and I want to try it one of these days.

I really miss the Lucky Leaf Splenda Sweetened Pie Fillings (Apple and Cherry) - since I moved to Saskatoon it is a long drive to the US so I haven't gone down there. I even phoned the makers of Lucky Leaf to see if I could order a case and have it shipped to me in Saskatoon - they said they didn't ship to Canada because the shipping method they use doesn't go to Canada (even though I said I'd pay for regular post and duty). I suggested they sell thier stuff on carbsmart or some of the other online low carb stores that are already shipping to Canada and would look after that - they said they would check into that, but I've never seen it for sale there. I even e-mailed carbsmart with Lucky Leaf's number to follow up and see if carbsmart could get thier stuff to sell, and Andrew (owner of carbsmart) e-mailed me back that he would look into it, so maybe someday we'll see it there. In the meantime I will just remember it fondly!

Keep Living La Vida Low Carb,

Crystal in Saskatoon

Last edited by crystal : Sat, May-19-01 at 00:01.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-19-01, 09:07

BF:
Progress:
Talking

Crystal,
I myself would LOVE the recipe! PLEASE PLEASE! My birthday is coming in August and I would also like to be prepared.

SMILE,
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-21-01, 11:14

Stats: 182/168/140 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/38%/?
Progress: 33%
Smile

OK, here it is:

Chocolate Cake
--------------------

1 cup soy flour
1 cup Splenda granular
1 to 2 Tbsp. cocoa (depending on how chocolatey you like it)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
3 Tbsp. sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix flour, Splenda, baking powder, cocoa and set aside. Beat eggs until light yellow in color, about 2 minutes. Add sour cream, whipping cream and water and blend until mixed. Stir in flour mixture with the vegetable oil. Add vanilla and mix until all incorporated.

Grease a 9" square pan. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.

Without optional frosting (below) the entire cake has about 35 grams of carbohydrates.

Optional Frosting
----------------------

Take 1 and 1/2 cups of Splenda granular and place in a food processor. Process until it resembles powdered sugar. Mix in 1 to 2 Tbsp. cocoa, set aside. Take 1/2 cup cold butter and mix in mixing bowl about 2 minutes. Gradually add the Splenda/cocoa mixture. If it is a little stiff, add a few drops of whipping cream, if it is too thin add a little more processed Splenda. Add 1 tsp. vanilla flavoring. Spread on cooled cake.

Store in refrigerator.

----------------------------------------------------------

When I did the Black Forest Cake I omitted the nuts and the frosting, just used the cake (I tripled the recipe and put it in two 9 x 13 pans to make a 9 x 13 double layer cake - I had 30 people to serve) and then put the Lucky Leaf Splenda sweetened cherry pie filling in the middle and frosted with Splenda sweetened whipped cream

I found the cake a little dry, so I added 2 oz of melted unsweetened chocolate and increased the sour cream to 4 Tbsp.

Enjoy!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-21-01, 12:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Thumbs up Re: Crystal

Thanks so much Crystal for posting the recipe ...have looked at that pic of your wedding cake many times and thought it looked yummy... will definitely try this recipe

Bonnie
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-21-01, 12:36

BF:
Progress:
Default MMmmmmmm

That sound great...can't wait to try it! Thanks soooooo Much!
Smile,