Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 10:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/174/145 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Question Which scale should I buy?????

Im really curious which scales the most accurate.I weighed myself on my home scale last night before we went to Costco its a cheap WALMART $9.00 SCALE it said 199 I went to Costco & weighed myself on to differant scales the healthometer a $39.00 scale it said 197 The other scale was a DUET $56.00 scale its supposed to be accurate as the DR's its a digital but also has the circle of weights too It said 195.5 which one should I believe are the cheap $9.00 scales as cheap as there price should I get a more expensive one?I like the digital one because theres no squinting to see where the arrow is Why are all scales differant on your weight.Which one should I buy do you have any recomendations on any scales???? Thanx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 10:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

You'll get a variety of answers, I'm sure, but I went through Terrible Traumas with scales. I had a tanita body fat scale -- which everyone else loves, but which didn't seem to love me. It would vary by as much as five pounds from day to day. So I bought a new scale (a health-o-meter) and it was eight pounds higher than my old scale, and I couldn't believe it. I threw it out!!! And bought a Really Cheap scale (because I'd read several people having good luck with these). It weighed me what I thought I weighed, but was still a bit unstable.

Weeks later, someone who'd heard my tales of woe sent me a new scale. It's a Taylor Precision digital scale. I call it Gibralter. It never wavers. You can't fool it. And it weighed me eight pounds higher than the old scale.

Which, I guess, means I recommend either Taylor Precision or Health-o-meter

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 10:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

As long as you weigh on the same scale every time....It doesnt matter what brand it is. You just have to be consistent with that scale.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 11:36

BF:

I did weigh myself on the Health O meter on all the scales ive weighed my self on there all lighter them my cheapy home scale by at least 4 pnds I am curious if there right & mines wrong because I can fit in a suit skirt & suit jacket I havnt been able to where since I was 190 pnds theres no way I fit in it at 199 but maybe Im loosing more in my stomach & top area who knows.Ive seen the presision I just cant remember where.I need to go to GMC & weigh myself..Thank you for your recomendations apprecieate ya
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 14:45
Registered Member

Stats: 195/195/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile

Hey Melanie I just went out and bought a cheap scale only because I have seen the doctore's office scale even being wrong.
As long as the scale reads close to my read every time and it does go down I do not worry to much still try to use the inches method. i am going out to buy a measuring tape tomorrow.

Pearl
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 16:47

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

The questions you are asking are very good ones - as are the answers you are getting. You might want to look at the last paragraph of the first post in the thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=33561

As far as the best scale - get a medical balance. They can be had for about $60 to $100 and are worth every penny (IMNSHO).

One thing you DON'T want to due is make the assumption that digital scales are better than analog scales. Some are and some aren't. It's actually easier to make an good analog scale than to make a good digital scale at the low end of the price spectrum because cheap digital meters use a single strain gage instead of the four you would normally use to obtain proper tempurature compensation and to minimize bridge non-linearities in the sensor circuit.

The real question you are asking - and which several people are answering - without knowing it is whether accuracy or precision is more important in a scale for your purposes. Accuracy and precision are NOT the same thing. Accuracy means that, on average, it tends to give the correct answer. Precision means that it tends to closely repeat whatever answer it gives, irrespective of how close that answer is to the correct answer.

Since you are looking for changes in your weight - you want an instrument that has high precision. Don't worry if the answer is not very accurate, as long as you get the SAME answer whenever you are the SAME weight.

So how do you find a precise scale? Test it for variability. Step on it and off it several times. Put your feet in different positions on the platform. Vary that rate at which you transfer weight onto the scale. Look for the scale that gives you the smallest range of values as you do this.

Now, once you have your scale, you can further improve the precision by stacking the deck in the scale's favor. Always transition your weight onto the scale smoothly and in the same way each time. Always put your feet on the same place - put some tape on the platform if necessary. Now repeat the variability measurements while following these procedures and you will get an idea of the tolerance you can expect on any given weighing.

But other factors affect the precision and accuracy as well. Keep the temperature in the room where the scale is constant (say, within 5 deg F if possible). And you should always weigh yourself with the same clothes on (preferably with no clothes on) while you are completely dry and preferably first thing in the morning (after going to the bathroom if needed).

This will minimize the variables and make it more likely that weight CHANGES shown by the scale (and always use the same one) probably represent accurate weight CHANGES in your body.

But that still leaves the issue of properly interpreting the meaning of those weight changes - especially short term ones. That's a whole different topic.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Which scale should I buy?????

Quote:
Originally posted by melanie 27
.Which one should I buy

Save your money! A measuring tape is 1.99$ and will record your losses with much more accuracy

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:41

BF:

Thank you every one for your advice I think I'll just keep my cheapy one because its what I started with & if I step on & off of it like you said its the same but that digital duet I tried at Costco was 195.5 then I walked around the store some checked it again It was 192.5 so I tested it again it was 194.5 so Think your right about the presicion thing.My cheapy one I tried stepping on & off of it several xs this am & I do weigh myself In my nightgown every morning but its very thin & light every time I got on the scale this am it was at 198 so guess the cheapy ones arnt bad...THank you all I apprecieate all your replys.....