Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 08:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default FTC Sues Companies for Weight-Loss Claims

FTC Sues Companies for Weight-Loss Claims

Tue Nov 9, 3:42 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - The government filed six lawsuits against companies it said had promised weight-loss regimens that were too good to be true, and it pressed the publications that advertised the programs to identify and reject them instead.

It was the first time the Federal Trade Commission had paired a court complaint about weight-loss products with letters to media outlets, FTC Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras said Tuesday. For now, the agency is not seeking to punish those news outlets, she added.

"We are having success, a great deal of success, with media companies in educating them about these media ads," Majoras said. "For now, we're not ready to give up."

As part of "Operation Big Fat Lie," the FTC filed six complaints in federal court — and is working with the Maine attorney general on a seventh — challenging ads that promoted such things as pills, powders, green tea, gels and patches for weight loss without diet or exercise.

Media outlets that have grown plump with advertising revenue from the weight-loss industry should make more effort to reject ads for bogus regimens, Platt Majoras said.

The outlets that advertised them were magazines and newspapers, including: Cosmopolitan, Woman's Own, Complete Woman, USA Weekend, Dallas Morning News, San Francisco Chronicle, the Plain Dealer in Cleveland, Albuquerque Journal and Spanish-language publications such as TeleRevista Magazine.

The FTC files a complaint when it has "reasons to believe" that the law has been or is being violated and it is acting in the public interest.

The FTC said it filed cases this week against Selfworx.com LLC, Iworx LLC and Jeffrey V. Kral of Scarborough, Maine; Feminia, Inc., of Pembroke Pines, Fla.; CHK Trading Co., Inc., of New Jersey and CHK Trading Corp. of New York City; Natural Products, LLC, All Natural 4 U, LLC, and Ana M. Solkamans of Tustin, Calif.; Bronson Partners, LLC — doing business as New England Diet Center and Bronson Day Spa — and Martin Howard, of Westport, Conn.; AVS Marketing, Inc., and William R. Heid, of Thompson, Ill.

The agency also is working with the attorney general's office in Maine, which is filing an additional action against the makers of Slim Patch and Bodylite Gel Patch.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ght_loss_claims

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 08:13
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Hallelujah!! while it should be common sense that there is NO magic pill, the people who profit from useless and sometimes dangerous products need to be put in check.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 09:15

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'll bet that Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers are delighted to have less competition too.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 09:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

At least JC and WW work! If you can adhere to their torturous plans.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-04, 01:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 509/472/250 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I am so glad the FTC is finally going after these folks. They are taking advantage of people that are in a desperate situation - what a shame.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-12-04, 13:30
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

My Professor at school also told me that Corti-Slim is being sued. The manufacturers may have been listed in the above article however it maybe that I don't recognize the name.

hahahahahaha

As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure it has to be one of them because she said the FTC is suing them
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-12-04, 13:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTwacky
My Professor at school also told me that Corti-Slim is being sued. The manufacturers may have been listed in the above article however it maybe that I don't recognize the name.

Yes, it was posted here in the Research forum in October .. FTC Sues Marketers of Weight-Loss Supplement (Cortislim).

hth

Doreen