Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:22
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 164/146/125
BF:
Progress: 46%
Unhappy Nitrate-free ham, bacon, sausage?

Where do you all find your nitrate-free products? I have yet to find ham, sausage or bacon that is nitrate-free. Is it a problem to eat these products with sodium nitrate in them? Dr. Atkins writes in his book that they are known carcinogens. But are they supposed to cause cravings? Create stalls? I haven't seen that information in his book. I'd love to expand my food options by eating these things but I'm afraid of the "nitrates" and like I said, I can't find any of these products without them????? Are you all eating the products with the nitrates? If so, are you having any problems with them? Thanks so much for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 210/185/185
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

#3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 13:19

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

my local health food store that carries meat carries these products. It's a subsidiary of Wild Oats.

Trader Joe's has some meat products occasionally that meet these conditions

Hebrew National beef franks are, I believe, chemical additive free (and sugar free)

I make my own jerky to guarantee its ingredients....and I know one can make bacon with a smoker and a lot of patience.

HTH
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 15:52
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the responses. Razzle, I unfortunately have no health stores nearby. I'll have to make a day trip to one of the "cities" in North Carolina to find one. For now, I'm hoping that one of the grocery stores at least carries the Hebrew National Franks. They sound great. And, I must ask... how do you make jerky? Do you need special equipment to do that?
Thanks. Theresa
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 16:56
Registered Member

BF:

1. Hebrew National is sold by Costco up here in Canada, is there a Costco you could check in your area?

2. There are two ways to do your own beef jerky. you can either use your oven, which can be messy, but is very inexpensive, or use a food dehydrator. Walmart carries the Amercan Harvest line, effective and not to pricy ($40 US, thereabouts?)
There are many recipes available from http://groups.google.com (search for Beef Jerky) But the basics are to buy some lean beef, have your butcher slice it thinly, or do it yourself, marinade the meet for 24-48 hours, and then dry for 4-12 hours (depending on local humidity and method of drying: dehydrators are fasterr than ovens)
Most marinade recipes call for freshly ground pepper, which my WG&TW finds too strong, so here is the marinde she likes best:
For 3 lbs of meat, blend together
1/2 cup light soya sauce
2 tsbp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 tsp chinese 5 spice powder

Dip each piece of meat into the marinade, coating well. Place in a shallow container (eg 1 1/2 qt rubbermaid rectangle) Refirgerate for 12-48 hours, stirring occasionaly. Dehydrate until dry but pliable. Enjoy!

Note 1. If slicing the meat yourself, freeze it slightly first, until ice crystals form.
Note 2. If drying in your oven, line the bottom with aluminum foil to aid in the clean up.

Hope that helps!
Kipling
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 19:19
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the info and the beef jerky recipe. It sounds like quite an adventure making it. I don't have a dehydrator so I'm going to have to try the oven method. It sounds sooo good though. I think I'll be getting my kitchen messy real soon! Wish me luck!
Theresa
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:36
Registered Member

BF:
Exclamation VITAL INFORMATION

Would you believe I forgot to mention the temperature?
most recipies say 'low' (as low as your oven goes for the light to come on) or 110F. Joy of Cooking says 170F, and here is a faster variant:
1. Preheat oven to 250F
2. Line baking sheets with tin foil
3. Place wire drying racks on foil
4. Arrange meat in a single layer on racks, bake 30 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to 175F for a further 40 minutes.
6. Allow jerky to cool on racks 8-12 hours

I would think that even without the higher temperature, drying racks on foil covered baking sheets would reduce the mess enormously. (Unless oven cleaning is high on your list of fun things?)

Homemade jery is GREAT. If you would like more recipes, feel free to ask.

Kipling