Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 23:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 93/93/85 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Newbie with some questions, pls help?...

Hello all! I'm new! I'm still researching low-carb diets. I've been a vegetarian (but eat eggs and dairy) for 10 years + but have recently started to eat some seafood because my doctor says I'm not getting enough protein. Anyway, I'm hoping to go on the Atkins diet but I've heard horror stories about how it makes you feel faint or light-headed? I'm in school so I can't afford to feel anything short of lucit I'm wondering if anyone has ever felt faint or absent-minded or the like? Wouldn't your brain starve due to lack of glucose? I know it sounds naive, but like I said, I'm still doing my research, I hope you won't mind all these stupid questions?..... Also, I like to make vegetable soup by boiling my veggies till it's tender then putting them into a blender. However, I heard that boiling for too long would eliminate the fiber, turning them to usable carbs. Is that true? Please help? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 04:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Welcome aboard. It's scary starting out. The best defense is reading all you can from the great articles at this site, and in particular, reading the book for the plan you choose. Then you can seperate out fact from rumour. You can't do the plan properly if you don't understand how it works. The books give you all the details, not only how to eat, but the whole background of how your body works, how it changes when you start eating differently, and answers to commonly asked questions like yours about feeling icky.

During the first week, some people experience a few "feeling off" days. It can be anything from headache to a little wooziness. The woozies are often because people are not eating enough, and not drinking enough water. Once those few days are over, some people experience a wonderful energetic surge, and then they're on their way to healtheir food choices.

Everyone's body is different, so everyone's expereince during the first few days is a little different. For most, it's nothing more than a minor annoyance that goes away shortly.

You go right ahead and ask those questions. It's one way to learn. People here are friendly and helpful. Most of all, they are supportive.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 08:12

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Baby Munch, welcome to the forum!

It is understandable that you're confused - there's a lot of conflicting information out there about LCing in general. I suggest you take a good look at the section of the forum called "Which Plan is Right For Me" (there is a link to it in the margin on the right) - many of the LC plans available are discussed in detail and sample menus are provided. After you pick a plan you should go right out and get a copy of that book - you cannot successfully complete a LC plan w/o reading the appropriat book. This forum is a great place to supplement your information and receive advice and support but it cannot replace the book.

That being said, I can tell you that the detox period when starting LC varies for everyone. It can last a few days, or it can last a few hours. There are ways to make its effects less, however. It is key you stay hydrated (you must drink a minimum 64 oz of water a day) and you get some good vitamins and supplements. Potassium will help with the lightheadedness and dizzy feeling that often accompanies this WOL (way of life). 400 mg is the recommended amount - you can get this from a product called "NuSalt" - 1/8th of a teaspoon in a very large glass of water will provide over 500mg a day. It is important when taking potassium that you be hydrated. It is also important that you check with your doctor if you have any heart issues before commencing any potassium supplementing.

Eating often and making sure that all means contain protein will also help make you feel better - your body can take excess protein and turn it into glucose is it is needed. This is done so slowly that there is no correlating increase in insulin. Your brain will not 'starve' your brain is actually one your organs that actually prefers to run on ketones.

Keeping to a minimum 20g of carbs a day (the most severely restricted LC plan) will ensure enough carbs for those organs and processes that need them. Within a few days you'll be feeling better than ever.

As for boiling the fiber out of vegetalbes, I must admit, this is a new one to me. I am sure though that our resident expert chef, Karen, will be able to help you out. I do know that overcooking veggies reduces the vitamines and nutrients within them.

All the best, I look forward to following your progress.
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 17:49

BF:

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH for your help AngelaR and Natrushka !!!! I think I'll take your advice and look into these diets some more before I start. That way, I can get more info, AND I can start a little later during my reading week when I can afford to feel potential initial "side effects" of changing my diet! I can't wait!!! Another reason I want to try this diet is that I tend to feel rather sluggish on my current diet, or WOE (I'm trying out the new lingo! ). After a high carb meal, I seem to feel extra sleepy. I also have a sweet tooth - I LOOOOOVE candy! But I would feel so sick after eating them..... um..... ofcourse I tend to eat too much of them too. So I'm hoping to gain some muscles in exchange for fat. I think I'm made up of mostly fat - not very efficient when speaking of a functional body. Lastly, I also read that protein provides much needed B vitamins which aid in the production of tryptophan, a chemical needed for production of serotonin (the "happy" neurotransmitter, so to speak ). Perhaps that will also ease my feelings of sluggishness?

Anyway, thank you again to you both! It was very kind of you to offer your help!!! I will definitely be back to let you know how things are going, and, if you don't mind, I might have some new questions during my course in furthur research?..... Take care for now, and thank you again!!

P.S. Who is Karen and where can I find her?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 18:11

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Don't worry about stupid questions. While such things do exist, you generally have to go out of your way to find one. Stupid answers on the other hand.... Fortunately, there is a distinct shortage of those on these forums.

As the others have said, it is very important that you read the book. If you understand the concepts and mechanisms and reasons, you are far more likely to make informed decisions.

Given your weight and height, I have to wonder how old you are. Perhap you are just very petite. But if you are under about sixteen, I would be careful about undertaking any particular weight loss plan. Certainly low carb is suitable for just about any age - probably even far preferable than other diets and eating habits. But people with growing bodies need to be very careful about trying to lose weight - you have competing goals and don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul because Peter can hold a lifelong grudge. So if that is what you are doing, it is pretty important that you consult with a doctor.

As for Karen, she will likely find you. She makes a greeting post to most of the newcomers.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 20:59

BF:

Hi wbahn! Thank you for your reply! I am a full-grown 27 year old girl, and that is my adult height... unfortunately That is another reason why I need to keep my weight (esp. side-ways volume) down. It's easy for me to look like a ball. Anyway, thanks again for your reply and assurance! I feel a little more comfortable asking questions now. Think I'll go and check the newbie questions board.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 15:36

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Baby-Munch,

I'm no expert by any means ( finished off first week of Induction) but I can tell you some things.

Since you're still researching, have you looked at the Schwartzbian Principle book ( I looked up the spelling this time ?) My sister is a vegetarian (does not eat seafood, though) and found that LC more "veggie-friendly". From what I read in Atkin's book, he says that vegetarians can do other phases of his diet but not Induction.

As far as feeling goes, reading other posts helped me prior to starting Atkins as to what to expect. And I got the whole enchilada - fatigue, nasea, leg cramps, migraines. But every person is different. One thing my sister and I did was start our LC diet on a Saturday so that we had the two days where we could stay at home if we felt bad. It was a great idea because by Monday we were able to return to work, etc. without too much difficulty.

My sister started LC primarily because she's studying too and wanted more energy for her studies at night (in addition to losing weight and having a healthier WOL overall) and just in one week it's done wonders for her.

Tam