Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: /235/235 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamian
For this reason, people on low carb diets are much better at mobilizing fat in all circumstances.

Jamian-B.S. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, UC Davis

All circumstances? How do you explain someone who can get into single digit bodyfat percentages without really restricting carbs, but rather restricting fat intake, and yet can't seem to get there with a low carb, moderate/high fat diet.

Be careful of blanket statements. Everyone's different. Having said that, otherwise, nice post.

Thunder - BSc. Biochemistry and Kinesiology. McMaster University
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 19:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Touche Thunder, I suppose I got carried away. Everyone is metabolically different.

Lets say that if LC works for you and you are in ketosis, then your fat-burning enzymes are way upregulated and you are more equiped to burn fat in a fasting state than you would be if you were not low carbing.
  #213   ^
Old Sat, Oct-16-04, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

I can't exercise on an empty stomach... I get the shakes real bad... I find that if I have one of those little slices of homemade flaxmeal bread's that I make, smeared with some cream cheese, I can exercise for a good 2 hours non stop without feeling the shakes....

Amazing how all of us are so different.
  #214   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-06, 07:00

Stats: 268/214.2/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainerdan
It will help with fat loss (caffeine will help release fatty acids to be burned for fuel), and it will also help to protect your muscle mass.

Well this is great to hear as I am a morning cardio fan and a devoted coffee drinker. I also believe in the morning workouts. I know that my fat has diminished and muscle has improved, after dropping 50 pounds my abs look better than ever and my back is "fatless" instead of fatty

Maybe it has something to do with my coffee intake I have always been trying to find a good reason to keep drinking it
  #215   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-06, 10:52

Plan: 40/30/30 - BFFM
Stats: 153/115/116 Female 61"
BF:>36%/15%/<20
Progress: 103%

From The Risks and Benefits of Extreme and Controversial Fat Loss Techniques by Tom Venuto, CSCS, NSCA-CPT

"With low blood sugar and glycogen levels on awakening, it
appears that the body is in a perfect state to burn fat
preferentially, but that, combined with high morning cortisol
levels, means it may also be a perfect state to burn muscle."

Just one person's opinion, but for me, doing any kind of exercise in a fasted state is completely counterproductive to my long term goals of sustaining my lean muscle tissue.
  #216   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 14:20

Plan: none/my own
Stats: 217/203/175 Male 5'9"
BF:Far too much
Progress: 33%

I did my first AM cardio on an empty stomach this morning. Just short of an hour cycling, and I came back and went through a 10 minute session where I almost completely fainted. It was a struggle to keep myself conscious, but I did somehow.

I'm hoping that as I get used to AM cardio, that the fainting will no longer occur. Is this correct? Or should I take some little amount of something, before, or preferably with me, so I can take occasional nibble, rather than the whole lot, when I go out cycling?
  #217   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 07:36

Plan: none/my own
Stats: 217/203/175 Male 5'9"
BF:Far too much
Progress: 33%

Okay, I've completed my third day of AM cardio and thankfully haven't had the same experience as my first time.

I'm still only taking water before and during the cycling sessions. Eating about a half an hour after I'm finished.
  #218   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 10:04

Stats: 175/157/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi all

I'm a big believer in morning cardio after a coffee, had great success with it on my first go-round a couple of years ago. Right now, though, I'm having trouble kicking myself out of bed on these cold, dark mornings... and I usually end up on the elliptical around 10 am. Will having a low- or zero-carb snack affect the efficiency of the a.m. workout? I sometimes grab an egg or a piece of cheese to eat while driving my son to school, but I could easily forego that in order to max out the benefits of fasted cardio.
  #219   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-07, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/252/195 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just started working out again. I plan on starting doing 20 to 25 min stationary bike rides before my shower and 1 hour commute. I was told by a trainer a long time ago that a small cup of caffinated coffee before your workout is a good way to jump start your metabolism.
This is a great thread.
LJ
  #220   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 14:32

Plan: Adkins-With tweaks
Stats: 182.5/166.2/140 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 38%

What is ECA stack?
  #221   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-08, 20:18

BF:
Default ECA stack

I keep hearing about this ECA Stack. What is it?
  #222   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 05:05

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

E~ Ephedrine
C~ Caffeine
A~ Aspirin

Basically it's a combination bodybuilders use to get leaner.
  #223   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-08, 06:33

Plan: Atkins/Southbeach
Stats: 315/225/200 Male 73
BF:17.6%
Progress: 78%

I've heard of it but just sounds scarey. They pulled ephedra off the shelves for a reason, not just because of meth.

I've been doing early morning lifting for a while now. I love getting to the gym at 5:30. There's just a few of us in there and I can get in a great workout, doing everything I need to do by 6:15. My gym has 5 power racks so it's rare they are all full anyway.

Since I've gotten used to getting up at 5am 3 days a week, I just started getting up on T and R too. My wife goes to the gym on T and R and I get M, W, F. I've been going to the basement and doing the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD or riding my bike for 30 min on an indoor trainer. I love it. Now that I've gotten used to it, it's the best way to start my day and leaves my afternoons and evenings free. Plus, I'm dozing off from 9 to 10 each night and can barely make it past 10:30. That's a good thing.
  #224   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 19:29

BF:
Question Eca Ok For Ketosis

Ok, before everyone tells me ECA's are dangerous, I would like to know, Caffiene isn't saposed to be taken durring induction. Wouldn't this process take someone out of ketosis, or at least slow them down?
  #225   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 21:00

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

I thought they were selling ephedra again. I saw it for sale at a store when I was in Anchorage last month, but haven't seen it anywhere since. I don't want to take it, I just found it odd that they were selling it (advertised in the window as being available again).