Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/170/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I workout on an empty stomach everyday.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 09:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

I beleive in morning cardio and right now since i cant do weight training its even better.

But some studies did say that at night when you lie down to sleep the body doesnt rest but it activate itself, cause when you sleep the body has so many fonctions to take care.
  #198   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 16:23

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Advice along same lines...?

I have a question that relates to much of the information on this thread--specifically about the advisability (or benefits) of exercising before having breakfast.

My morning routine is somewhat different from those of others I'm reading here. For instance, I'm generally up at 8:30, and it's about 9:30-10:00 AM before I'm ready to go out for my morning 45-minute run (or bike ride). Originally--before LC'ing--I did it on any empty stomach, and came back, washed up, and was ready for lunch at around 12 or 12:30. I skipped breakfast, as a result.

When I started LC'ing, most of the advice I received on this board was not to skip breakfast--kick-start my metabolism, give myself 3-5 small meals/day, not let too much time go by without eating, etc. So I did start to eat my LC breakfast (I'm on PP)--and began to have it before I left for jogging. It's not very large--I take in about 1250 cals/day, for my height/age/goal weight.

Anyway, the question now is, if I go back to jogging on an empty stomach, I will not have breakfast at all, but will return in time--after cleaning up, doing a few errands, etc.--for lunch. I don't want to have a meal at around 11:30, because it isn't practical workwise for me to wait again till around 1:30/2 PM to eat the second meal. Currently, meals snacks are (approx.) at 9:30, 12:30, 3, 5:30/6 (and a snack if I really need one at around 7:30).

I can't seem to get up earlier than 8:30. I work out of my home office and use my eyes a lot, so sleep is important, and I get/need about 9 1/2 to 10 hours/night.

Those of you reading this: Would you still advise me to get my AM exercise on an empty stomach and skip b'fast altogether in favor of lunch at 12:00-12:30--or should I eat a little something before going out?

Thanks for any input!

Best, Sona
  #199   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 08:27

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

Don't remember if I said it before, but I've been asking a well-known bodybuildster what her preference was. She said: late at evening, because afterwards she would go to bed and burn fat all night long.
people seem to think that their body doesn't burn more energy at night after cardio, but it DOES.
The advantage of late night cardio is that you don't need to get up at an insane hour and can be more relaxed time-wise (no rushing) and also that you don't overeat AFTER cardio. After all, it's a matter of less calories in vs out. Many people overeat after strenuous cardio. By sleeping at those times, you are less likely to do so.

Fietser
  #200   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 13:17

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I think that I am going to give this AM cardio a try, cause at the moment I do my workout in the evening and I am not seeing any results!! I am going to give it a try for three weeks!!
  #201   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 10:32

Plan: my own (like the Zone)
Stats: 140/131.0/126 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:maybe 15% not real
Progress: 64%
Smile Cardio in the A.M. on an empty stomach

I found what works best for me is doing cardio on an empty stomach but eating something high in protien, like a shake, immediately afterwards. But i would NEVER do my weight training on an empty stomach.
  #202   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 21:32
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I like doing cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I make sure to eat breakfast right after I finish, before I do anything else. I take it to the gym with me.

It's not a good idea to wait more than an hour at the most in between your cardio and your first meal especially since your last meal was the night before.

red
  #203   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 03:59

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

For Sona:

What about having a little snack when you get back (ie some celery with peanut butter) and then having lunch at the same time or just a little later than usual??

Just a suggestion...

Nicole
  #204   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 10:42
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question A low sugar question

Today I started back at the gym and did an easier workout (Didn't want to hurt myself) I did: 5 minutes at 2.5 on the Treadmill and 6 min at 1 on the cross trainer. About 20 minutes afterwards I felt sick in my stomach also I had a wicked headache. I normally fast before working out. Could I have made my sugar drop? Or could it be not having much water before hand?
(I left my water bottle at home). Thanks!! I prefer fasting before exercising for anytime I eat then work out my sugar drops like a rock. By fasting, it normally doesn't do that.
  #205   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 15:16
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I just stumbled onto this thread and read the first 6-7 pages of it!!! As well as the last few!!

I'm totally convinced!!! I had to switch my gym workouts from afterwork to first thing in the morning!!! I don't eat before I go and I'm at the gym by 5:45-6am. I love it!!! I feel great all day!!!!

When I look back at my weight loss years ago...I remember doing my workouts in the morning and losing a ton of weight!!!

I love this board!! So much great information!! I'll keep everyone posted as to the speed of my weight loss resulting from this change!
  #206   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 255/255/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've always loved AM cardio, it really sets the mood for the rest of my day. This, coming from a woman who loves to sleep in on days off.

I do have one question though. Does anyone have a simple weight training plan they've used and had success with?

Today, for example, I went and tried out a few different machines and felt good afterwards, but it was my understanding (granted, not an expert by any means) that you would 'feel' your worked muscles afterwards.

All I feel is a bit of a sore neck and that's it. Should I be working harder with heavier weights, or is this normal?

thanks for your input, it's much appreciated. great thread, too!
  #207   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 20:40
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
I do have one question though. Does anyone have a simple weight training plan they've used and had success with?
Inanna, go to Built's journal. She as a routine laid out there.

red
  #208   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 167.5/157.4/132 Female 164cm
BF:???
Progress: 28%

I second that.

Built's beginner programme is spot on and very managable.
  #209   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 16:35

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipo
There is no cognitive switch by the body on what type of fuel it uses.

Maybe not cognitive, but there is a switch. Everything about your metabolism and everything your body does is controlled by enzymes and receptors wich are the product of genes. The reason Atkins induction works is because in those two weeks or more when you are starting to consume much more fat than carbs your body realizes that carbs are not around anymore. This is realized by receptors and other cellular machinery in very complex, but very real ways, and your body does make a metabolic switch to a fat burning metabolism.

When fat is the main calorie source, your cells have to "upregulate" fat burning enzymes at the genetic level. This means that your body transcribes the genes that control fat catabolism a ton more than they did before. For this reason, people on low carb diets are much better at mobilizing fat in all circumstances.

I don't know for sure that LCers will burn body fat rather than body protein in a fasted state, but they absolutely have much more capacity to do so than someone who does not restrict their carbs.

Jamian-B.S. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, UC Davis
  #210   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-04, 16:56
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: /235/235 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamian
For this reason, people on low carb diets are much better at mobilizing fat in all circumstances.

Jamian-B.S. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, UC Davis

All circumstances? How do you explain someone who can get into single digit bodyfat percentages without really restricting carbs, but rather restricting fat intake, and yet can't seem to get there with a low carb, moderate/high fat diet.

Be careful of blanket statements.