Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 06:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/140/130
BF:
Progress:
Question Low carb chocolate website

Can anyone vouch for the products that are sold on this website?

I am especially confused about the fibre content i.e. whether or not it should count towards my carb intake.

I have read various threads and most say take the labels with a pinch of salt - that's fair enough if you have the time to be cooking your own stuff all the time.

Does anyone have definitive an answer to the fibre query?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 07:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fiber can be deducted from your carb count - the human digestive tract cannot process fiber and it passes through unused. This is a scientific fact. What you may have been hearing about with regard to watching out for labels has to do more with Sugar Alcohols (SA) - these are new man made additives that do not always behave the same way when consumed. There is a very good article about SA written by Doreen under "Low Carb Tips" (in orange highlight atop every page) that should explain everything for you.

Alternatively try a site search for "Low Carb Bars" and / or "Malitol And Manitol".

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 13:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 167/154/140
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default deducting fibre from carbs?

I don't understand the concept of deducting the fibre from carbs, could someone explain it for me please?

On ground almonds it says 7g carbs for 100g of product
It says 12g fibre for 100g of product

Does that mean that I can count 100g ground almonds as 0 carb?

Thanks
Shaz
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Paleolithic since Feb 2000
Stats: 218/190/182
BF:
Progress: 78%
Sorry shaz but things don't work that way in the UK

I refer the honourable member to the reply I posted on the "Why are British Carbs less fatteneing" thread:

UK food labels and carb books give the carb count with the fibre (or fiber!) already removed. I believe many foods and carb books in Canada and Australia do likewise.

US food labels and carb books include the fibre in the carb count so you need to deduct the fibre from the US carb counts to find the ECC (Effective Carb Count) ie, what we in the low-carb world are really interested in. The human body doesn’t use fibre as a food source and just drops it out the other end, eventually!

In the UK treat British labelled food as a straightforward carb count but note that any US made food sold in the UK (perhaps purchased in a US Military Commissary) needs to have the fibre deducted to get the ECC.

Hope this helps.

Yours aye, Scotsman
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 167/154/140
BF:
Progress: 48%

Thank very much for the info - I thought it sounded too good to be true!

I am going to direct someone on another thread to your post as someone there has just asked practically the same question -

Shaz

Last edited by shaz : Fri, Feb-01-02 at 17:07.