Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 08:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/152/132 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default What to eat B4 going to the gym?HELP!!!!!!!!

HI!

I have been doing Atkin's diet since 28th August 2004. At present i am on the OWL phase.

I used to enjoy my cardio workout at the gym before i started Atkin's.
Since starting Atkin's i have been very discouraged to go to the gym. In the induction phase, i used to feel very nauseaus after a ny excercise. I once ended up in casualty after throwing up and feeling very ill.
I assume, because of low carbs, i get less energy.
A lot of people say, you should have a lot of energy while on atkins. I feel that i definately donot feel as sluggish and tierd as i used to feel B4 Atkins. But I wouldnot say that i am always full of energy.

I really want to get back into my cardio workout in the mornings. And also want to do weights.
But i feel that i need my bread (even 1 slice will do)or some cereal OR something as substancial to 'pick me up' for my cardio session.

As i am going to be trying for a baby from this december, i feel that i need to start excersing and build it up to a safe level (as i can't start it while pregnant).

When expecting, I hope to be eating some bread and cereal everday. So, i suppose i can build up to it from now.

Please suggest what should i eat. I am sick and tierd of eating eggs. I really don't want to eat eggs or anything fried or with oil before going to the gym.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 09:35
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: /235/235 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Are you doing cardio first thing in the morning? Is it steady state of interval type cardio? If the former you'd be better off not eating prior to it, especially not carbs. If it's the latter, feel free to eat some carbs, since it will increase performance and not have a negative effect on results.

When do you do your weight training? Along side your cardio or at a separate time of day?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 09:41
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -thunder-
Are you doing cardio first thing in the morning? Is it steady state of interval type cardio? If the former you'd be better off not eating prior to it, especially not carbs. If it's the latter, feel free to eat some carbs, since it will increase performance and not have a negative effect on results.

When do you do your weight training? Along side your cardio or at a separate time of day?

I will be doing my cardio and weights both at the same time of the day- morning.

No, i am doing cardio first thing in the morning. About 2 to 3 hours after getting up.

Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 09:42

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Cardio after weights!

Jag
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

By some carbs, how much do you mean and what type? Deepti, maybe you can give us an idea of how much carb/cals you eat every day now, and what kind of cardio you're doing.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 09:45
Registered Member

BF:

Ditto Jag. Cardio AFTER weights, not before. Maybe post up a gym log so we can see what you're doing.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 09:49
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepti
I will be doing my cardio and weights both at the same time of the day- morning.

No, i am doing cardio first thing in the morning. About 2 to 3 hours after getting up.

Thanks.

In that case, I would eat breakfast(have some low GI/II carbs), wait, train, and then do cardio.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 14:10
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
By some carbs, how much do you mean and what type? Deepti, maybe you can give us an idea of how much carb/cals you eat every day now, and what kind of cardio you're doing.

I mean a toasted slice or two of low carb bread (about 7 to 9 carbs/ slice), some butter on top, and a cup of decaf tea whitened using couple of tablespoons of soya milk.

I think this should not exceed about 12 to 14 carbs.
At present my daily carb intake is between 25 to 35 gms. I am doing OWL of Atkin's.

In terms of cardio i will be doing 20 mins. of each -
brisk walking on the treadmil and cross trainer.
and
10 mins of -
Stepper and stationary bike.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 14:18
Registered Member

BF:

How about the weights you do? What kind of lifting are you doing?

You might need a bit more carb for this, something better quality, like steel cut oats (no sugar) or some brown rice or yam? Maybe closer to an extra 20-40 or more grams in the AM before you lift, but not before cardio if it's steady state. This might be the time to go lower fat, too. Have you considered HIIT instead of steady-state cardio?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 13:56
Italian Goddess

Stats: 255/199/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 53%

I go to the gym early, 5am so I grab an iced coffee for a little caffeine jolt. By the time I get home at 6:30 I'm STARVING. I'll have something small like a 1/2 cup of ricotta or cottage cheese with cinnamon until it's a decent hour to have some real breakfast. Supposedly you aren't supposed to eat before cardio, it's better to do on an empty stomach but not sure what you can do if you don't go to the gym first thing in the morning.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 14:08
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

This only applies to steady state cardio, not to interval type cardio (ie HIIT). And for those that can't do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, immediately after weights, when blood sugar is lowered, is another viable option.