Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 21:49

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Unhappy Rough Weekend

Hello all,
Both my sister and I started low carb WOE this weekend (I started Atkins Induction - she's doing Schwarzbein principle because she's a vegetarian and found that more veggie friendly) and i have to say both of us are having a rough time. We're doing everything pretty much by the book (drinking LOTS of water, about 12-24 glasses a day, taking multi-vitamins, not going over the carbs) and experiencing the symptoms of carb withdrawl (and caffiene withdrawl for me :-) but it seems more extreme than I've heard. I've been having ongoing headaches (I'm prone to them anyway) and yesterday I couldn't keep my lunch down (thank God I am doing better today). Today my sister couldn't keep down her lunch. Anyone else experienced vomiting during the first part of their low-carbing (whether Atkins Induction or others)? Also a huge loss of appetite - at night I just can't face looking at a piece of meat although I'm doing OK on the salads. One thing that does bother me a little about Atkins Induction is that you're only allowed 3 cups of salad or 2 cups and 1 cup of another veggie. Did anyone else find this disturbing and what can you do about it? I'm tempted to add another cup or two of lettuce every day (I've got the carbs for it).

I guess both my sister and I are looking for reassurance that we'll get out of this and start to feel the energy that everyone talks about :-)

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 23:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
One thing that does bother me a little about Atkins Induction is that you're only allowed 3 cups of salad or 2 cups and 1 cup of another veggie.

You're allowed 20 grams per day minus the the fiber. I think Atkins put the salad and vegetable restrictions in there because it's during induction that people learn to figure out carbs. It also takes care of the carbs in eggs, dairy and coffee if you're drinking it.

Carb withdrawal differs from person to person, but all the symptoms you describe are part of the process. I was slightly nauseous for a month when I first started.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:58

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Smile Getting better though...

Thanks Karen - that does make more sense. Then as long as I have the carbs (I'm off of coffee, but it was a BIG step) I can count a little more veggies into my meals. That makes sense.

I'm doing a lot better today. Didn't wake up with a huge migraine (thank GOD) and the nasea is only slight. I'm also starting to feel much more energetic.

My sister, on the other hand, stayed home from work today. She's still a little out of it...

Hopefully, we'll both make it through the first few weeks :-)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 12:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Don't overlook the fact that there are some nasty viruses going around this time of year. Your nausea and vomitting could be completely non-LC related.

Hope you're feeling better,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 15:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/135/132
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default headache

Hi Tammay
Just to reassure you that the headache will go. I stopped drinking coffee - I didn't wean myself off caffiene - I just stopped it - so going from 4-5 cups of coffee per day to none was a killer! However, after a week the headaches stopped.

I didn't realise how addicted to caffiene I had become. I did a lot of seaching until I found a decaf coffee that actually tasted of coffee. Happily I have now foound one!
Good luck
Lucy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 15:54

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

We've actually had an outbreak of a particularly nasty virus that involved headaches, no energy, and vomiting - your LC pain may have been increased by a viral infection.

Keep your chins up (your sis, too). After the first week, it's not half bad

Sh'ra