Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 21:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/148/135 Female 5'5
BF:?/26%/21%
Progress: 35%

Nepta, I'd be very interested to hear if you notice the same weight loss when you vary only calories, not carbs. Please keep us posted if you decide to try that.
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 01:09

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

Beebuzz reporting in after 1 full cycle. Well, not a success for me . I did loose 1.5 lbs (at 125) on my first day of Carb UP (go figure), and got 0.5 lbs in virgin territory. Hovered there for the whole 5 days carb up (gainning 0.5 and loosing it), then stayed there for next 4 days carb Down....

However, I feel leaner but since I dont measure...

My thoughts:

1.Carb up not long enough

2.Too much cals on carb down (I tried to stay at 1200, Ill try to monitor this more closely next cycle)

3. Not enough cal on carb up (tried 1800 but 3 days could barely get over 1600)

And to tell you the truth, Im having so much fun on carb up, that I dont really care !! I still want to loose 10 pounds, but I dont mind if it takes me 6 months or more (I look GOOOOOD NOW, and just bought for 300$ of new clothes, have to wear them a bit )

Ta!!
Beebuzz
  #348   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 05:09

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

For those who are interested in calorie cycling and not carb/cal cycling, read red1cutie's journal. She did cal cycling with great success.
  #349   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 05:14

BTW, cycling (carb/cal combo works best in my opinion) works because it throws your body out of homeostasis. The body gets very efficient at burning food if you do the same thing every day. Just like with exercise. If you do the same routine every day, your body will adapt and you will burn less calories.
  #350   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 08:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Still on Carb Down and I'm down another pound today. That makes 4 pounds since I started my carb down. I think its been 4 days down now. Still going to plug away until the weight loss stops. Hope it stops soon because that low carb wheat tortilla in the fridge is calling my name!
  #351   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 08:51

Plan: Atkins/carb cycling
Stats: 168/143.5/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I'm on day four of my first carb down and have lost a total of two pounds for the entire cycle. I dropped in "virgin territory" this morning by half a pound! I'm going to continue the carb down through today then start an up cycle tomorrow. We're going camping for the weekend so the timing is perfect.
Julie
  #352   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 09:14

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind
For those who are interested in calorie cycling and not carb/cal cycling, read red1cutie's journal. She did cal cycling with great success.

I looked at red1cutie's journal, it's 181 pages long. Her journal looks interesting, but I couldn't find the part where she discusses calorie cycling. Maybe I'll post there and ask her about it though. Thanks for mentioning it serrelind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's cool to see that other people are having success with this. Keep up the good work

I'm on day 5 of carb down, so far it's going well. I'll let you all know how this cycle goes when I'm done (I may stay carb down for another week) I don't generally do such long cycles, but I want to carb down for a good amount of time because I know I'll be carbing up for the 2 weeks I'll be on vacation.

Nancy the low carb tortilla is calling you huh great news about your recent loss!

hi nfb - I'll let you know if I try it.
  #353   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 09:22

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations to NancyLC and SevenClark for the success~!! I'm on day 3 of carb up on my first carb cycle, so I won't report any specifics for a while...but I'm here, and I'm fascinated!

Best, Sona
  #354   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepeta
I looked at red1cutie's journal, it's 181 pages long. Her journal looks interesting, but I couldn't find the part where she discusses calorie cycling.

Nepeta, look at around same time last year in her journal. She was at same weight for a bit, and then the lbs basically melted off of her. Good for Red
  #355   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 11:21
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenclark
I'm on day four of my first carb down and have lost a total of two pounds for the entire cycle. I dropped in "virgin territory" this morning by half a pound! I'm going to continue the carb down through today then start an up cycle tomorrow. We're going camping for the weekend so the timing is perfect.
Julie

LOL! Love that description "virgin territory". Unfortunately I'm not quite in virgin territory. Hmm... lets describe my current weight low as a "hard to get, non-virgin". It's been teasing me for months. I'd drop to this weight, then bounce up, drop, bounce...

Maybe... with luck I can see virgin territory tomorrow morning! Ooooh! such incentive to be good. But I can't imagine I could drop more than 4 pounds in one go-round. Still... one can hope!
  #356   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 15:25

Stats: 175/150/135 Female 5'5"
BF:25
Progress: 63%

Where did you find reading material on this Lcanita?

Last edited by dwmw613 : Thu, Sep-30-04 at 15:57. Reason: realized lcanita has been posting
  #357   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 15:58

Stats: 175/150/135 Female 5'5"
BF:25
Progress: 63%

Is this somehting like the South Beach Diet?
  #358   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 16:18
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Is this somehting like the South Beach Diet?

No, I don't think this is a "published" diet plan. I think most of us are doing Atkins and stalled out. What we do is keep carbs/calories down until we have a mini-stall. For me, it's about 20g net carbs and 1200-1400 calories. Then you do a "carb up". That doesn't mean eat all that sugary, starchy stuff you used to eat. It means having "slightly" more carbs and calories and keeping them healthy and still "on plan". Like maybe a low carb tortilla, a piece of fruit.

I'm going to try to do a 40-50g carb-up. Probably eat around 1700 calories.

Anyway, I think I hit on all the details. LCAnita stalled out and found this worked. We're just playing with things and trying to resolve stalls.
  #359   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 16:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmw613
Where did you find reading material on this Lcanita?

Lcanita is on vacation for several weeks. If I remember right, she mentioned that she read the other threads about carb cycling and came up with a variation that she thought would work best for her. I know she mentions this somewhere in this thread.(most likely in the beginning)

I wouldn't really say it's like south beach. (but maybe carb up resembles one of the later phases of south beach)

The are no set rules per se, this isn't a plan that comes from a book. It's just something anita and others have had success with after stalling and other things weren't working.
I liked the sound of it, especially carbing up with healthy carbs, and moving calories around. And seeing that Anita had some success, I decided to give it a try. So far I'm pleased with it.

If you are interested I'd recommend reading through the thread. Anita explains pretty clearly what she's doing in the initial pages.

Hope I answered your questions okay.
  #360   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 17:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrelind

Nepeta, look at around same time last year in her journal. She was at same weight for a bit, and then the lbs basically melted off of her. Good for Red

thanks serrelind, i was able to find the calorie cycling entries.
i found it interesting that she went almost every other day with the cycling, something i'm sort of contemplating, maybe further down the road. it makes sense because that way you are cycling up on days you are exercising or lifting and then cycling down on days when you are resting and don't need as many cals.