Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/195/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Size-20/12/dunno!
Progress: 54%
Smile Hmmm...why?

Well, let's see. I am not offended, if I was not overweight or obese, would I be here? Nope, don't think I would. But your question is how? How did I get so huge? You may not believe what I am about to tell you, but I never ate much. I skipped meals, had no structure or eating habits. When I felt hungry (which was not often) I had something with sugar. A candy bar, ice cream, just a little something like that chocolate cake! Milk and cookies...yep, that was a nice nightly deal. Ooops! I forgot my dinner, no worries, I'll just have milk & cookies. A healthy diet for me at the time. The huge amounts of foods where never part of my diet. So, not all of us got to be where we were when we started our diets, by overeating. Maybe in Germany people eat 3 balanced meals a day and their metabolisms obviously respond well. Mainly because their metabolisms have not been killed by low fat diets, 3 day crash diets, vegetarian diets, and so on. You see? We've tried so many diets, we've slowly killed our furnace (metabolism). Now, that we know a little better, it's a lot harder. But NOT IMPOSSIBLE. We will all achieve our goals. WHY? Easy, because we are DETERMINED, FOCUSSED & MOST IMPORTANTLY, WE HAVE THE SUPPORT OF OTHER PEOPLE HERE!
Thank you for your question. Sometimes questions such as yours make you realize, This diet thing ain't going so bad after all!
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 15:38
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is, like, the Zombie thread that keeps coming back to life, just when you think you finally killed it.

Levi hasn't been around since summer 2002.
  #258   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 20:20

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
This is, like, the Zombie thread that keeps coming back to life, just when you think you finally killed it.

Levi hasn't been around since summer 2002.

LMAO...Return of the Living Levi part V!
  #259   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 22:53
Registered Member

Stats: 230/215/135 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 16%

LOL, Glad he is gone!!!!
  #260   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 05:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/275/200 Male 72
BF:
Progress:
Default Burger King

Well not sure if Levi is reading or not but I took a visual survey while at Burger King yesterday. We rarely go out to a place like that but had the grand kids with us. Of the about 30 people there I would classify maybe 3 as obese and 5 needing to lose 10 pounds. The rest were thin so maybe he just was looking at a screen loaded with people heavy who knows. Were not all fat over here in fact many are in great shape.
  #261   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 18:06

Stats: 247/195/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Size-20/12/dunno!
Progress: 54%
Default Sorry...

I guess these are the things that new people do when they try to fit in.
My deepest apologies for bring it back to light. I will be more careful in the future.
  #262   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 00:31
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 161/161/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default FromVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVA
How odd...that is exactly what happened to me, but not until a few years later. The combination of the Graves and hypothyroidism threw me into very early menopause and I ended up being diagnosed as the result of a "thyroid storm". It was an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and it has taken me years to recover my health. One of the nasty little side effects was severe depression, which lasted a number of years. I gained most of my weight after the "thyroid storm", although it had been creeping up before. As my thyroid went bad, even though I had Graves, I absolutely could not get the weight off, regardless of near-starvation (on my endocronoligist recommened and supervised LF/LCal, 600 calorie a day diet) and relentless exercise. Then I just flat gave up. Thank goodness I found Dr. Atkins!! I hope your journey along this WOE/WOL is as successful as mine.

Did you become hypothyroid from taking anti-thyroid pills, radioactive iodine uptake, or from undiagnosis? I am currrently on methimazole for Grave's Disease for the past 3 months now. I am always feeling fatigued, I'mreally worried I'm gonna become hypothyroid and gain more weight. I gained 5 lb since I started the meds.
  #263   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 16:29
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Look's like Levi can look in own backyard for answers

#264   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 11:23

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict
Stats: 205/191/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I am not offended at all by the question... I am a new here, but still would like to throw in my thoughts.
I was never heavy growing up, very normal weight and also very active. I played every sport available to me including gymnastics, volleyball, soccer, baseball, track and field, field hockey and basketball. I never thought about food. I ate whatever I wanted when I was hungry. I don't ever remember food being an issue growing up, I was raised in a middle-upper income family, so the low income = obesity is not true for me. After University - still weighting in at around 125 pounds, I started my first office job. I sat all day. Starting dating my husband - who loves food and always needs good quality and big quantities. I gained 10 pounds per year over the last 8 years... Does anyone really notice gaining a pound a month? I sure didn't. So, my activity basically stopped, I sat on my butt all day and I ate a lot. I stopped getting on the scale, and then I finally hit the big 200 mark. I always thought the same thing as Levi - How do people get so big? Well, it happens by living and by changing of our lifestyle. It is not a conscious thing that we do. The hardest part is admiting that I am obese, but I have and now I am on the road to good health and good living.
  #265   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 13:26
Registered Member

Stats: 238/226/140 Female 64 inches
BF:40%/28%/21%
Progress: 12%

I don't know how anyone could get upset about Levi asking a question about how'd we get obese. If you got upset, I would suggest you immediately get referrals to counseling. You wouldn't be upset if he'd asked "how'd you get so thin." I'm fat, obese, chubby, porky, thick, etc. etc. I'd rather someone ask me an honest question than to dance around a subject of interest (unless it's money or religion or my sex life).
  #266   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 13:29
I beat you, Tanita!

Stats: 174/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:13% lower now...

Quote:
You wouldn't be upset if he'd asked "how'd you get so thin."

I think that's because no one "normal" perceives there to be anything wrong with being thin.
  #267   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 19:50

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%
Default Cornell research concludes: Who the Hell Knows?

Levi may be long gone, but his question is probably one that every single person on this board has asked of him/herself at some point. This is an excerpt from a Q&A forum sponsored and answered by the Cornell University Cooperative Extension:

Q. My question is - are there any studies or is there any evidence that the increased availability of bread and refined carbohydrate products (usually low in cost and readily available anywhere) has contributed to the increased incidence of obesity in this country? Also, is the increased prevalence of adult obesity directly related to the increased incidence of childhood obesity here?
A.The relationship between diet and obesity is a tough one. Many people have looked for such a relationship and have been unable to find one. In fact, there are some data showing that obese people eat less sugar and refined carbohydrates than their leaner peers. There is even a debate about calories. Most researchers have not found an increase in caloric intake with increasing body weight. Several researchers, including our own work, have found that intake increases with lean body mass, and not total weight. The only consistent finding between diet and obesity is that obese adults and children eat a high percent of their calories as fat. It is important to point out, however, that this is intake after they are obese. What is most important is what do they eat just prior and during their weight gain. We just don't know.
  #268   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 06:15
Registered Member

Stats: 260/184/150 Male 5.8
BF:?/18%/6%
Progress: 69%

Hmm it was a combination of many things really and I'm not sure I can attribute them all. In a nutshell...I had to move to NC right before middle school and I was depressed. Then I never really "fit in" in middle school and got even more depressed. Though I I had some friends, all male of course, I got rejected every time by girls...guess it kept packing on as a result.

In highschool I gained a newfound respect for self reliance, determination, and self improvement and devoted myself from Sophomore year and on to bettering myself. Now in my second semester of college I've nearly met my goals after doing Atkins off and on and finally returning, this time to stick it out, this past January.

Ironically now that I'm nearly at my goal some of those girls are at my university are coming to realize now want me...I obviously don't give them the time of day .
  #269   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 16:34

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I've never been overweight, just to use that as a qualifier right from the get-go

I agree there was some tact needed but in my opinion (and I realize I will probably get mega-flamed) for this, we are OVERLY conscious of the self-esteem of people who are morbidly obese

I'm not suggesting that we should be going up to anyone on the street who needs to lose 40 pounds and tell them, but when someone in your immediate circle of friends/relatives is MORBIDLY obese, you should feel able to discuss it with them as you would any other life-threatening problem (alcoholism, drug addiction, etc)

But most of the time we keep quiet, because in our society even saying "Have you ever considered joining a gym?" to an overweight person, EVEN IF THEY ARE A GOOD FRIEND/RELATIVE OF YOURS, is considered a crime punishable by death. We are expected to pretend that this person looks absolutely fabulous and is not doing anything to risk their health, because how unfortunate if it hurt their self esteem

I don't want to make anyone feel awful, but I do have a good friend who is morbidly obese, and I'd really like to help. Yet I say nothing because of these social norms. How is that helping her? From the stories I've read here, a lot of people who've succesfully lost weight did so after hearing a really negative comment about their weight. So isn't addressing the problem the right thing to do?

Apologize if I've offended anyone, thats not my intention and as I've stated, I have no way of knowing how being morbidly obese feels
  #270   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-05, 16:56

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnr

I agree there was some tact needed but in my opinion (and I realize I will probably get mega-flamed) for this, we are OVERLY conscious of the self-esteem of people who are morbidly obese

But most of the time we keep quiet, because in our society even saying "Have you ever considered joining a gym?" to an overweight person, EVEN IF THEY ARE A GOOD FRIEND/RELATIVE OF YOURS, is considered a crime punishable by death. We are expected to pretend that this person looks absolutely fabulous and is not doing anything to risk their health, because how unfortunate if it hurt their self esteem

Apologize if I've offended anyone, thats not my intention and as I've stated, I have no way of knowing how being morbidly obese feels

I'm just curious as to what you think "saying something" is supposed to accomplish. Without an ounce (as it were) of exaggeration, I can tell you I was born overweight, and have been overweight every day of my life. Do you think you have any words of wisdom I haven't heard from friends, relatives, doctors, strangers on the street, read in books, seen on TV, seen in films? Do you think that these morbidly obese people are simply waiting for you to tell them they have a problem? Once you speak the magic words, they will slap themselves on the foreheads and say, "Wow, I have a problem. I never knew that before!"?

Joining a gym? I almost certainly know more about physical fitness than you do, and have spent far more time in the gym and exercizing than you have. I used to be able to bench press 300+ pounds, walk 2 hours to a gym, play basketball for 6 hours a day, then take a two hour walk home. I still weighed well over 250 pounds.

What really annoys me about your post, by the way, isn't the gross ignorance of it (ignorance is something we all suffer from in one area or another), but rather, the implication that fat people have simple solutions to the problem but simply refuse to adopt them. Most obese people have been told this their entire lives ("You just need willpower!"); it is only now that science is coming to the conclusion that food addiction and obesity are diseases, and there are no easy cures. I suggest you take a look around this site, and really listen to the anguish, the feelings of frustration and self loathing that you can find everywhere. I guarantee you that no one needs to be told by you they have a weight problem, and I also guarantee you that "going to a gym," or merely being told to do so, isn't going to solve anything.