Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 21:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Too much Protein?????

I just discovered that I was eating too much protein... and thus possibly causing me to stall in my weight loss. I recently was rambling through my book shelf and found my copy of the ZONE.. I was reading through his chapter on Protein.. and in there he cautions about eating too much protein.. can cause insulin excretion as well. So I did the protein calculations according to the charts in his book and have been eating less protein.. same amount of fat.. and I also increased my carbs a bit... and viola.. in two weeks I dropped 13 pounds.. I could not believe my eyes when I stepped on the scale today... so I am doing a combo of Atkins and Zone.. making sure I balance my protein and carbs..and being more eyeful of portion control....

I thought I would pass along the news.. just incase there are afew others out there.. stuck.. while doing everything right..

If anyone has questions.. let me know...

Ramona
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 22:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Wow! Part of the loss may be that you were finally getting your pay-off for being so good for so long without a loss -- the Whoosh Fairy's getting caught up on her whooshwork, so to speak. BUT that aside, you must be doing something right.

I replied to this idea a bit to your post in my journal, but didn't want this thread to go begging I hope you'll post a few Atkins-Zone menus so we can take a look at what you're doing.

Way to go, Ramona, and welcome back
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 20:46

Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%

That's great Romona - I've not had a lot of weight loss these past three weeks, maybe I'll read that book too!

Hope all keeps melting off for you - let us know and GOOD JOB!

mb
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 09:49

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I too replied to Ramona under "turtles" but have been thinking about her success with this a lot since.

I wonder to what extent just 'changing it up' can help those of us who tend to stall for long periods...which may be the same subset as "long-time yo-yo dieters"...any opinions on that, folks?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 11:14

Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Razzle and Mary B....

I think the big thing I learned from this.. is just what some of the 'more senior' members of LC have been saying... I have to listen to my body.. what works for me.... I enjoy adding a piece of fruit a day... I either have an apple that I cut into 2-3 sections.. and have that with a little cheese.. as my snacks for the day.. If I don't have my apple.. I have a 1/2 grapefruit for breakfast.. I really cut back on my cheese.. it is now a condiment.. not a staple.. . So these few things .. in addition to getting the right amount of protein... have made the difference.. I no longer get nauseasous... and I feel steady energy...

I am thinking about joining my local Y.... I weigh in again next week.. on Tuesday... so we will see how things go....

If anyone want to review the Zone for info.. they do have a good website.. www.zone.com. With a few waist measurements..they have calculations to find how much protein you need for your lean body mass.. mine is 99 grams... a day...

my best to everyone... as we grow.. and get healthy together...

Ramona
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 19:34

Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%

Could you recheck that website - I got into a gaming website by using the short cut...

mb
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 19:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm not sure if this is the site Ramona is referring to, but it IS the official Barry Sears' "The Zone" website .. http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/content/guide.asp

hth,

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 14:54

Plan: General
Stats: 272/265/240 Female 5'4"
BF:alot of it!
Progress: 22%
Default what am I? A bird?

I went over to the Zone website and did the whole calculator thing and here is what it came up for me:

11 Blocks a day

1 block = 7 grams of protein, 9 grams of carbs, and 1.5 grams of fat.

Now, at 11 blocks, that comes to 77 grams of protein, 99 grams of carbs, and 16.5 grams of fat. Total calories for that would be 853 FOR THE DAY!!!!

Hel-lo! If I could eat like a bird, I wouldn't be this size, would have been successful at the billions of other diets I have been on, and probably would not have chose LC. Anyone can lose weight on 853 calories a day. Sheesh! I bet I burn that many calories while I am sleeping!

Anyway, I'm not knocking it so to speak. I say whatever works for you. Someday, my appetite may be small enough to get my calories down that far without me feeling like I'm starving to death.

I do wish I had more accurate counts for what I should have as I often feel I am going overboard. This is not a result of years of lowfat diets as I never lasted on those ever, but just curiosity over my gorging. Seems like I eat more now than ever!