Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 08:53

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default LC Baking item you can't live without

Hi

I am not stealing Angela's ideas, but I want to expand my pantry to include LC baking/flour/necessities and etc.

What one or two items can you not live without and how do you use them? What makes your LC baking successful?

Thanking you in advance.

A Thin Me!

Last edited by A thin me! : Thu, Jan-17-02 at 10:33.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 08:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

ATM,

Great idea...nothing is being stolen. I don't hold the patent on sharing info.

I'm with you on needing help with this one. I have soy flour and don't know what the heck to do with it. It does nothing but foam up and get gooey in gravy. I tried making LC Yorkshire pudding yesterday with a recipe that was sent to me. It used oat flour, soy flour and gluten free flour. They turned out nothing like the real thing. Most of the baking substitutes I have tried have been so different from the real thing, that I'm too frustrated to try to find replacements. It seems easier to resign myself to the fact that anything baked is just no longer part of my meal planning.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 08:35

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

I bought some Atkins Bake mix--- was on sale-- Buy one, get one free!!

I totally love his Zuchinni muffins and hits the spot when you want a bread type thing. The way I make them, they are 4 carbs each.

I've used it in the sausage/egg breakfast muffins too.

Thats all the experimenting I've done with it so far....
But I feel its worth it just for the zuchinni muffins!!

Ellie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 11:04

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

I'm with you thin. I'm just about brave enough to begin baking. I too have the soy flour, but not a clue as to what to do with it. I also have some flax seeds I bought at the farmers market. I'm going to GNC to buy some of the Atkins baking mix. Let the games begin.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 15:09

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

I don't buy too much 'stuff'. I just like bacon.

Actually, I'm responding to Ellie, I like your little "walking guy". Although I have to tell you, he looks like my kids when they were litttle and needed to find a bathroom.

YB
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 15:32

BF:
Progress:

Well, DUH! I just realized that maybe that's what he's supposed to be----a little LC-er who drinks a lot of h20 and is lookin for the BR!
YB
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 16:52

Stats: 119/112/112
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking Almonds are it!

Hiya all

I hear you on the soy flour. I still have the bag that I bought (works out to about $12 per pound!). It makes every thing spongy and icky.

I found that almond flour is the best thing to use in baking. Mixed in with gluten it is ok. It is great by itself for cakes. Almondsonline has it at $3 /lb and I love the nutty taste.

- Jessie
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 17:03

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

HEY...........!!!!!

Don't be picking on my little guy!!!

Actually, I picked him out just because I liked the looks of him! And I finally got off my butt and started exercising after all these weeks LCing!! I figured he represents me exercising!!

HOWEVER.... now that you've mentioned it and I've given it a little thought.... That is probably EXACTLY what I look like outside the rest room at work waiting to get in!!!!
What can I tell ya??.... I drink my water, water, water.

Ellie
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 05:06
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

The only product that I used for low carb goodies was Splenda. But then, I don't cook much.

Elihnig
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 11:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can live without it, but here goes!

A combination of Splenda, Stevia and Canadian Sugar Twin for sweetening.

Plain whey protein powder - cookies

Really high quality unsweetened chocolate and cocoa powder. Baker's unsweetened chocolate is gakky - cookies, cakes, icings and chocolate pate

Different nut butters - cookies and icing

Natural extracts for flavouring - vanilla, chocolate, almond and citrus flavours

Nut flours - cookies, sponge cakes

Unsalted butter - lets you control the salt content, and is alway fresher because salt is a preservative

Realistic expectations: LC baking will never be the same as high carb. Sometimes it's not even worth the bother!

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 12:10

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Hmmm...

I haven't experimented with any of the low-carb baking yet (or in the past). I do like some things that "feel" like they are baked. Mock Danishes. My favorite breakfast casserole (1 lb. sausage, 8 oz. shredded cheese, dozen eggs, mix and bake at 350 until not jiggly - 8 slices, 3.5 carbs per slice). I'm ready to experiment with some cheesecake like variations though. But I don't think I need any wierd stuff for that.

I'm really trying to rethink how I eat, instead of recreate the things that got me fat in the first place, but I tell you what, it's tough!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 12:57

BF:
Progress:

Ellie-
No,no! I LOVE the little guy! Any thoing that reminds me of MY little guys when they were little, brings a smile to my face. They're both over six feet tall, now....

Karen- I agree w/ the realistic expectation. All the 'lo-carb baking I've done leaves me wanting. I've decided on the occasional regular baked goodie LONG after I've reached goal and REALLY have it under control. After all, we call this a way of life.

YB
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 18:35

Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
Realistic expectations: LC baking will never be the same as high carb. Sometimes it's not even worth the bother!

Karen

Boy do I relate to that. After 3 months of experimenting trying to make LC yorkshire pudding, I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth the bother. That's the only non LC item that I desperately miss. I've decided that there's nothing like the real thing swimming in gravy, and if I'm only having a tablespoon of gravy, it's not worth having the Yorkshire pudding. I now make if for my husband the good old fashioned non-lc way and just pass it up. I expect that trying to reproduce bread will be the same. It's not worth the bother.

I have found a use for soy flour. The Latke recipe in the recipe section uses it to bind the latke fixings together. I make mine with finely julienned zucchini instead of spaghetti squash. They look and feel like potato pancakes.

Sorry I can't help you in the baking department Pam.