Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 05:34
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Flaxseed Oil

Does anyone know how to make this highly nutritious oil taste good? I find it bitter and lingering.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 05:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / PP
Stats: 255/245/200
BF:
Progress: 18%

I take Flax seed oil but i get mine from a health food store and it comes in capsules. Then all i have to do is pop them in my mouth and swallow them.....so there is no yucky taste. Hope this helps.

Carrie-Ann
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 02:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

It shouldn't taste bitter. Are you sure it is fresh? It goes rancid quickly and needs to be refrigerated- even then my bottle says discard after 12 days. It should taste very mild. See if it has a sell by date on it. In the shop it should have been refrigerated too.

When we were little we had to take cod liver oil every day provided free by the government. ( UK) Sure tastes better than that! The capsules are fine but you need a lot of them to get the same dose.

Another option is to buy the seeds and grind them up and sprinkle on something eg a salad
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 23:41

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%

I combine flax oil with mayonaise and herbs for salad dressings, pour it over vegetables.. mix it with tuna... I eat it every day and although it does have a taste... it is never bitter. Your oil is almost certainly rancid, Make sure you get it from a supplier with a high turnover of stock that refrigerates their flax oil and you shouldn't have a problem
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 733/733/68 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Good Health flax seed oil

Hi guys,Here in NZ good Health have a Womens Health flax seed oil which also has EPO and rosemary in it. It is nicer than plain (if you're not keen, some people love it), you can taste the rosemary in it. You can also add it to smoothieswith spirulina(plain one) or you can add it to balsamic vinegar, garlic etc. It's very very good for you. Cheers Kaznz