Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 13:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/237/112
BF:
Progress: 4%
Unhappy Slow Loser

Hi everyone! I'm on day day 10 of Adkins and have only lost three pounds. Is that unusual....such a low amount? Maybe I'm just being hard on myself? I do feel better, just a little depressed (no seratonin foods )

Anyway, I'm gonna hang in there. Maybe I'm eating more carbs than I think. Here's a typical day:

Breakfast: Eggs and bacon
Lunch: Two cheeseburgers, no bun, with two slices of tomatoes and lettuce.
Snack: boiled egg and a few small pieces of cheese
Dinner: broiled salmon, broccoli
Snack: A low-carb treat I made, only has 4 grams of carb

As I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Hi DeAnna

What exactly is the "low carb treat" you made??

You need to be very careful on induction that you are not triggering insulin by fooling the body into thinking its getting something sweet. Atkins limits Sweetener to 3 packets or less a day during induction for this reason.

Are you drinking only water? 64oz plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds overweight every day

no diet sodas

no caffiene (this can trigger insulin the same as sugar)

Are you getting plenty of fat in your diet? Apart from the bacon, your menu looks very low in fat. Eat more fat to lose fat.

Are you eating enough? You need 10-12 times your current weight.

Watch the salt levels.

Hope this helps. Remember.... you feel better, so hang in there.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 19:22

Plan: Atkins hybrid
Stats: 300/273/150
BF:
Progress: 18%

FWIW, I don't think three pounds in ten days is slow loss. You'd be horrified if you GAINED three pounds in that amount of time, wouldn't you? The *initial fast loss* of Atkins really IS water most of the time. If you haven't been storing tons of water attached to the glycogen in your muscles and liver, then you really won't have that much water to lose. Your three pound loss is probably mostly fat.

I totally agree with K-Louise... if it's got artificial sweeteners, you can't just say, "Well, it's only 4 grams of carb" during induction. Artificial sweeteners may not have many carbs or calories, but they tend to spike your insulin regardless. All her other advice is good, too.

I think the only other advice I'd give is to watch the tomatoes, they can be surprisingly high in carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 19:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/237/112
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Wow!

Thanks ladies. I had no idea. I do drink a lot of diet soda...need to pump up the water though.

My treat is called peanut nirvana, but I make it with pecans. It is very, very good. I got it from a cook book I ordered on line.

Anyway, I'll certainly watch the artificial sweeters now.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 09:59

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

DeAnna,
Your treat is probably not an induction food if you're doing Atkins. He allows nuts AFTER induction, but not during. Do you have his book? I would turn back to the food lists for induction and stick only with those foods; no variations, if you're going to lose like he says you can. I was doing Atkins for induction, and I know that artificial sweeteners stalled me.

And yes, tomatoes are high in carbs. Perhaps, so you don't get discouraged, you should re-think, get the foods from the list, have them on hand, and begin induction over again. You can just add that great three pounds lost to what you lose the second time around

Shalom,
Sh'ra
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I'm curious ??? for Sh'ra

Hi Sh'ra,

I'm curious. I definately know that AS stalled my loss during first induction, so I started again without them. You say they did for you too.

How are you After induction with them? I mean, can you have AS now you are losing well, or do you still have to go without or limit?

Thanks
Kim
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 15:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I wrote some stuff yesterday about slow weight loss. It's called Hot Links! in the Introduction Forum under Newbies Questions. The link is 'So, You Think You are a Turtle?'

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 16:51
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy Staller

I was going through AS when I first did Induction, not only did I stall, but it let my carb addition linger!
I gave it completely up. Induction this time is so much easier.
I use splenda but only two packets a day max. Most days only one.