Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 07:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Unhappy Confusion about real whipped cream carb counts?

Before I start, I want to let you know I KNOW this has been discussed, and I've searched using whip and cream and carb. What I found was interesting but doesn't answer my question. I've been searching for over an hour between here and fitday, so I have tried to figure this out, and have come away more confused than ever.

Santa brought a make your own cream whipper with the compressed gas cartridges. I'm wondering now if this was a good thing to ask for. I'm dieing to try it, but can't figure out what the carb count would be for a "blob" of a couple of tablespoons of the stuff that comes out nice and fluffy.

The real liquid whipping cream I have is Neilson 35% whipping cream at .5 carbs per 15 ml or 1 tablespoon in the fluid form

Whipped up, 1 tablespoon is less dense than 1 fluid tablespoon, so would have fewer carbs.

At Fitday, the carb count for 1 cup of whipped up cream, with no sweetner added is 6.64 carbs. 1 cup is 16 tablespoons, so a tablespoon of the whipped up stuff would be .415 carbs

So the Fitday whipped up carb count is almost as much as my brand before it is whipped, for 1 tablespoon. Would that be a reasonable carb number to use?

We're talking about a small amount of carbs here, What looks like it may be about 1 carb for a nice blob of it on my berries.

I just want to make sure that I'm not UNDERCALCULATING

I don't plan on having whipped cream often, but when I make up a batch in the cream whipper, I'll need to use it up within 2 weeks, so I'll be eating it until it is gone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some days this is so confusing!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 08:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Angela, I'm pretty sure that when you take whipping cream in a fluid state and then whip it you get twice as much; therefore one tbsp of whipped whipping cream would be 1/2 the carb/calorie/fat count of a tbsp of the fluid unwhipped cream.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 13:07

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Thanks for clearing that up Nat. I was having problems with that too, but now understand completely. I think I was eating double the amount of whipped cream that I should have.
By the way, when I whipped cream the other night, I used liquid stevia to sweeten it and was very pleased with the taste!!

Glenda
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 14:17

Thanks Nat. That makes it a worthwhile carb investment for a treat. Unfortunately I'm going to have to longer. My cream whipper broke today, and all the cream I currently have on hand is inside it. I was sooooo looking forward to whipped cream on my berries.

Glenda or Nat: Have you had success whipping up small batches of whipped cream by hand or with a beater. Like 1/4 a cup of liquid? Or does it whip up better in big batches?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 14:31
Registered Member

Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Lightbulb Volume Confusion

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaR
I just want to make sure that I'm not UNDERCALCULATING
This is a perfect illustration of why one should cook by weight and not, as in the Anglo-Saxon world, by volume.
1 cup of fluid heavy whipping cream (37% fat) weighs 238 grams (yields 6.64 carbs). 1 cup of the same heavy cream, whipped weighs 119.5 grams (yields 3.334 carbs).
Therefore, once whipped, cream doubles in volume but if you cooked by weight, you would be able to weigh exactly that cream, whipped or otherwise, and multiply each gram by exactly .02789958159 carbs…
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 16:37

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Angela:

I think I have successfully whipped ˝ cup whipping cream, although it's been awhile since I did that. I have just always done 1 cup at a time, but now that I know about the double volume, I will try and just do ˝ cup at a time. NOt so much temptation then!!

Glenda
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 18:48

Bill T - I understand your logic behind that. Fortunately this is the first food I've come across that needed such a complicated set of math skills. I'll have to remember that for the next time something crops up that I can't calculate out by volume.

Glenda: thanks. That's good to know. My reasoning isn't for temptation. It's for waste. I'm not a big whipped cream fan and only have it very occassionally, so would like to make just a bit at a time
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 00:36
Registered Member

Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Arrow Overkill

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaR
Bill T - I understand your logic behind that. Fortunately this is the first food I've come across that needed such a complicated set of math skills. I'll have to remember that for the next time something crops up that I can't calculate out by volume.
Given the small amount you want to consume, I admit it's overkill but that would put a tablespoon of whipped cream at 0.2 carbs (OK, actually 0.208375). Quite a bargain.