Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 10:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/176/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default LCarbing in the Baguette Capital of the World...HELP!!!!

First I just tell you a bit about my experience with Atkins. I started induction last week and cheated (really bad..icecream, enchiladas...you name it) three days, not consecutively, out of the week and today and I am starting from scratch again. This is the first time in my life that I go on Atkins.
The problem is that in two weeks and I am going on vacation to France for another 2 weeks and although I am excited to go I am so afraid I will pack 20 lbs while I am there. I am going in tours in which food in already included so I know that looking for the right substitution will not be easy. Also, I've being checking restaurant menus and such and they seem on the high carb end...really lots of bread and pastries. Can you help me out with suggestions and can I expect to gain much weight by eating "out of plan"? I think I know what the answer is...maybe.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 10:41

BF:

I forgot the mention that I work out at least 6 days a week...if I run during my vacation do you think that will balance out the aparent inevitable weight gain?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 10:52

Plan: keto
Stats: 230/218/150 Female 5'5"
BF:have/no/idea
Progress: 15%

well, the good thing is you are probably going to find great cheeses and protein dishes along with all of the bread and pastries. The french also have great dishes made with cream.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 11:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Here's what happened to me in Paris, before I went on Atkins. I ate what I wanted and I maintained or even lost a little. Because we WALKED so darned much. The stairs up/down to the metro and all over the city. That changed when we went to London and they had escalators going down to the tube though. Nothing like dozens of flights of stairs to burn those carbs off.

I think that the French paradox is that they walk so darned much they can eat whatever they want and stay thin and healthy.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 12:02

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Wow 2 weeks in France! You're gonna have such a great time!

Nancy's right, you will most likely be walking like crazy on that tour! And french portions are a lot smaller than we have here in the US. I managed to lose 7 pounds while on vacation in Italy for 10 days and I did indulge in a couple of high carb items while there. I know that weight loss was from the tremendous activity level we had each day.

A couple of suggestions for you... take a few of Atkins Advantage Bars (meal replacment, not candy bar type) or another low carb meal replacement bar. This will really help if you're on a long tour and the meal is still a fair amount of time out and you're hungry. You'll be less likely to be eating a baquette if you have something to tide you over. These were also a lifesaver for me on the plane ride from California to UK 10+hours! You can also pack or pick up some nuts, almonds, walnuts, etc are a good snack option to help you through to the next meal. Another thing I tried was doing a CAD style approach. You can check out the CAD section here for instructions. So the nights I knew we were having a high carb dinner, I could eat like I was on CAD and still be in control of my eating.

Good luck to you! You're just starting out, so no matter what happens on vacation, just come home and get right back on plan! And enjoy France!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 13:03

Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I actually lost weight when I was last in Paris.. Like Nancy said, I got so much excercise that I came back lighter. I kept low carb for all but one day of my trip and had no problem at all doing so. With all the fantastic cheese and other perfectly legal LC foods I really didn't feel slighted. The one day off was great though... Had a pain chocolat for breakfast, and a fantastic meal at a great Brasserie. Have a great time.

Mark
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 13:25

BF:

Thanks a lot of your suggestions. I am not so nervous now.
CindyG, can you tell me what CAD is?
Szar, what did you eat (mostly) while in Paris? Did you have lots of salad?
Are soups ok?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 15:04
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%

You are going to find so many great things to eat. The cheeses and meats and sausages over there are AMAZING..to die for. You can get yogurts with less sugar, the salads and vegetable dishes are great. Just look for stuff and you'll see it. If you're feeling too deprived set out one meal/day where you allow yourself to eat whatever it is you're craving and you likely wont' gain.

Have fun!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 15:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 56//! Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

i agree with the others... the food is so stinking amazing in paris that it'll be easier than you think to say on program...

i will say though (and i may get in trouble for this...) treat yourself to some of the pastries... they are incredible... if even just a plain croissant with a coffee for breakfast... you'll burn it off by dinner, and they just shouldn't be missed. heck... it's PARIS!

no matter how you eat...have a great time!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 15:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, if I were going back to Paris I think I'd chuck low carb out the window at least for breakfast. I had a almond croissant (almond/chocolate if they had them) and coffee plus some bagutte. Then you go walk it off all day.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 16:07

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%

CAD is the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. Here is a link to a forum here specifically for CAD http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100

I used this for a couple of days in Italy and was fine. No cravings, no weight gain and no problem returning to Atkins.

I have only been to France once and it was for 12 hours in Paris! Have to say I had one of the best salads of my life there! Didn't know what it was, but figured out later it was salad with duck meat! YUM-ME!

Sounds like you should be ok finding low carb fare there! Enjoy your vacation!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 16:35

Stats: 188/172.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Default Try Monoprix "Supermarche"

Stop into any Monoprix supermarket in Paris...they are everywhere, usually just steps away from any Metro station. Wonderful food floor, not unlike Marks and Spencer in the UK. Fantastic cheeses, meat, ready to eat salad, beverages, inexpensive clothing and all kinds of household items and toiletries. I lived on Monoprix food for several days in Paris and yes, walked for miles each day. And, lost weight. Although I did splurge on a couple of nice dinners and had one big blowout at Laduree on a heavenly thick and rich Parisian hot chocolate and a pain au chocolat. Wickedly decadent and wonderful atmosphere. http://www.laduree.fr/actuality.htm

Description of Monoprix: This is where average Parisians go to purchase their everyday casual clothes, makeup, toothpaste, groceries, toys, and paper -- inexpensive, a little of everything. Great for accessories and housewares as well; children's clothes are of surprisingly good quality. There are about 30 stores in the city, so you'll probably spot one from wherever you stand. Patterned after the American Woolworth's stores of the late 19th century (1879), where products were sold at a fixed price (prix unique ), the concept was developed in France by the Nouvelles Galeries under the name of Uniprix in 1929, soon thereafter by le Printemps as Prisunic in 1931, and finally as Monoprix by the Galeries Lafayette in 1932. Locations at http://www.monoprix.fr/

I'm jealous...have a wonderful time!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 16:43

Stats: 188/172.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:

I should also mention that omelettes are everywhere, simple, tasty and inexpensive. Any sidewalk brasserie has them....easy to order too when language is an issue.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 16:58

Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I had eggs nearly every morning for breakfast, along with coffee... Best thing is you usually get three eggs. Careful with the bacon though. There is a different idea as to what bacon is in some places. Most of it has bone like things in it...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 20:44

BF:

Wow, thanks so much every one! You guys are really are all great! VWGAL, thanks for the tip I will look for the Monoprix when I go :-) Cant wait!!!