Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 14:11

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default New Sugar Lite(TM) From Equal(R)

New Sugar Lite(TM) From Equal(R) -- The Only 1/2 Calorie, 1/2 Carb Sweetener That Measures and Bakes Like Sugar -- Hits U.S. Store Shelves

CHICAGO, Aug. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Consumers now have more unique options when trying to reduce calories and carbs in baking. Hitting US shelves this month is new Sugar Lite(TM) from Equal(R), a blend of real sugar and no-calorie sweeteners and the only lower-calorie, lower-carb baking product* offering the ease and convenience of cup-for-cup measurement like sugar. With only half the calories and half the carbohydrates of sugar, Sugar Lite from Equal will please palates and satisfy the desire of millions for a product that is made from sugar, bakes like sugar, tastes great and fits into a healthier lifestyle.
Sugar Lite from Equal bakes, browns and provides volume to baked goods like sugar. It's formulated with larger crystals, which allows it to measure cup-for-cup just like sugar, with no need for cumbersome conversions. Great- tasting desserts and recipes -- from cakes, and cookies to breads, muffins and brownies -- can be made simply by substituting the same amount of Equal Sugar Lite for sugar.
"People looking for simple things they can do to help lead healthier lives can now swap Equal Sugar Lite for sugar and makeover -- or bakeover! – their favorite recipes," says registered dietitian Lael Edelstein, who supervises Equal's test kitchens. "The product is made with sugar, great for baking, contains half the calories and carbs of sugar and requires no special measuring or reconfiguring of recipes. As both a baker and nutrition professional, I'm thrilled by the ease of use and benefits of this product and truly believe it will change the way America bakes.
"More than 160 million consumers are "watching carbs" according to research by the Hartman Group. The recent Equal Sugar Lite baking survey found that the second most popular reason for not baking more often at home was because consumers don't want high sugar foods (ranked second only to time, 34.1 and 59.2 percent, respectively). Other research shows that an overwhelming 84 percent of current sugar users said they would consider buying Equal Sugar Lite.
By providing the benefits of sugar with half the calories and half the carbs, Equal Sugar Lite also offers greater ingredient options for the more than one million people diagnosed each year with diabetes, as well as the estimated 135 million U.S. adults classified as overweight.
Sugar Lite from Equal is available now in bags equivalent in sweetness to two-pounds and four-pounds of sugar. The suggested retail price ranges from $4.29 to $4.39 for the two-pound equivalent, and $7.69 to $7.79 for the four- pound equivalent.

About EQUAL(R) Brand
EQUAL(R) is the world's #1 selling no-calorie sweetener consumed in over 85 countries. EQUAL(R) sweetener has been the trusted, great-tasting no-calorie sweetener of choice for millions of consumers for more than 20 years. EQUAL(R) products are produced by Merisant Worldwide Inc. and are available at retail stores in packet and granular form and at most food service outlets around the country. Equal(R) also has provided extensive support to the diabetes community for more than 20 years and is a proud sponsor of the American Diabetes Association and a National Presenting Sponsor of its annual America's Walk for Diabetes. You can find out more about EQUAL(R) or get delicious recipes and tips on the many uses of EQUAL(R) at http://www.equal.com or by calling 1-800-323-5316.

*1/2 the calories and carbs of sugar

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...+2004,+08:05+AM
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 14:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Bah! It's not .5 carbs, it's half the carbs of sugar.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 14:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 317/252/175 Male 70in
BF:
Progress: 46%

Splenda has a blend also. I saw it in my local grocery store last night.

I just don't know what benefit it provides.

It's like hitting yourself in the head with a mallet that is only half the size of the one you used to hit yourself with.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 04:42

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

Marketshare is an evil thing.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 10:34
Registered Member

Stats: 160/155/140 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Steve, my sentiments exactly. I had to laugh pretty hard at that. It's along the same lines as the new 1/2 carb Pepsi and Coke products. I can't believe people buy these things. If you were on a true low-carb diet, even that amount of sugar would blow everything out of the water after one can. So if they're trying to promote people baking at home, where is the Flour Lite and Brown Sugar Lite?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 14:06

Stats: 185/154/155 Male 71
BF:18%+/14%/12%
Progress: 103%

Hmm, my gears are already turning. I LOVE home baked chocolate chip cookies for an occasional treat. While I think Pepsi Edge and C2 are stupid products, I might use a sweetener like this on rare occasions. Splenda just can not create that chewy/crunchy texture of a chocolate chip cookie...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 10:00

Stats: 224/185/145 Male 67"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I can't believe 6 figure income V.P.'s come up with stupid products mentioned above.

I was at Blockbusters and Starbucks was giving away free lite frappacino's... The cute sweetie touted them as low carb but didn't know the stats... so I took one and drank it, but when I went home and looked at the stats on their site, it was a whooping 36 carbs or something like that!!! I was pisssssed!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 01:40

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've seen the Splenda-Sugar Blend. The serving size was something insanely small like 1/4 or 1/8 teaspoon, and when you multiplied it out [though the actual amount may be significnatly different due to rounding] that it had the same [or close thereto] amount of Carbs as regular White Sugar. Even if I for some reason [not very likely] wanted such a product, I could cut together Sugar and Splenda myself instead of paying them to do it for me. Splenda already contains some Sugar in the form of Dextrose.

In fact, Saccharin packets list the amount of the Sweetener used. Based on the ingredients and the amount of Saccharine, they contain: 92-96% Dextrose, 4% Saccharine, ≤4% Maltodextrin. I figure that Splenda would have similar proportions. If you cut such a sweetener 50/50 with White Sugar, it would be: 50% Sucrose (25% Fructose/25% Dextrose,) 46-48% (in addition to the 25% in the Sucrose) Dextrose AKA Powdered Glucose, 2% Saccharine, and ≤2% Maltodextrin. Again, figure about the same for Splenda cut 50/50 with Sugar. Splenda and other packet sweeteners already contain way too much Sugar [0.92-0.96g per packet] for me to use them. Cutting them 50/50 with White Sugar would be out of the question.