Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 08:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question NOT EATING ENOUGH QUESTION?????

I am having a little problem of eating the amount of calories that I need to eat, from what I have been told. Something about 10-12% (1900-2280 calories of my weight.........should be the amount of calories I should be eating. There are more days than not that I am so full, I just can't get past maybe 1500 calories.

My question is: Where is this information coming from about us having to eat the 10-12% of our body weight? Is it the Protein Power Plan? I did Atkins about 2 yrs. ago and I never remember that in his book, but I might be wrong. I know I didn't follow that and yet, I did lose weight. I don't like this having to worry about eating more calories than I feel like eating. However, I am on my last day of Induction, and I have lost 8 pounds, but I keep getting an extra 2 pounds on the scales ..........like I am gaining about every 3 days! Could this be the problem that I am not eating enough calories? Does the Atkins program demand that 10-12% or your body weight?

I will certainly appreciated any help with this situation about having to eat a certain amount of calories????????

Thanking Ya'll in Advance,
Jo Ann in TEXAS

Last edited by JoAnnAtkin : Thu, Jan-10-02 at 08:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 08:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: NOT EATING ENOUGH QUESTION?????

Quote:
Originally posted by JoAnnAtkin
My question is: Where is this information coming from about us having to eat the 10-12% of our body weight

This comes from human biology JoAnn; not from any one plan. Your body needs so much energy to function - 60 - 70% of the calories you consume go to making sure you stay healthy and everything works like it is supposed to. If you eat below this level - your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) you stress your body. A stressed body wont lose fat. It will hold as tightly as possible to water and fat; and it will sacrifice lean muscle. Lean muscle is what raises your metabolism, losing it is actually one of the worst things you can do to yourself. Starvation diets work - at first. You see the numbers on the scales going down and you're happy. What you're losing is muscle. When you go back to eating a healthy amount of food you start gaining weight - you've lost so much muscle that your metabolism is slower than ever and your body stores everything it can as fat in preparation for the next 'famine'.

10 - 12 times your body weight a day satisfies your BMR. Chances are if you've been eating below this for a long time you are dealing with what I described above. Eating less will not make this situation better.

This post will explain BMR .
And this one is some advice you received a few days ago about eating more .

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 08:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Talking Nat.............Thank you!

I really appreciate your help and pointing this out to me! That has to be the reason, I keep putting the same 2 pounds back on and having to take it off.

I will be sure I get my calories up! Even, if I have to CHOKE it down!

Jo Ann in TEXAS