Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 02:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/180/170
BF:
Progress:
Cool MaŽK M in da house!

Hi!

I'm new here. I started the Atkins diet approximately Dec. 18th, 2001, before even buying the book. So it's been about 3 weeks, and I've lost about 25 pounds. Is this too much too fast? I didn't get the book until just before Xmas, and I still haven't finished reading it. Me bad.

I got interested in LC diets as a result of an ex-g/f losing a lot on Atkins. What interested me as much as the reports of weight loss was her reports of increased energy levels and relief from depression. (Last time I saw her she looked great.) I don't plan to use the diet as a substitute for therapy (one of our points of disagreement), but as some of you might know, every little bit helps.

So far I am pleased to report that my energy levels are on the whole improving, and I feel much better. Excersize and employment are next on the list, then quitting smoking. And I've even begun to dream big dreams again. . .thinking about returning to law school.

What else? I'm a recovering speed freak with 8.5 years clean and sober. As alluded to above, I suffer from depression. I take anti-depressants and see a psychiatrist three or four times a week. (It's called formal analysis.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 04:25
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Welcome Mark

Wow, 25 pounds in 3 weeks is a huge amount, especially as you are only left with 10 to your goal. Hope you have been taking your vitamins!

Welcome to the forum, i hope you find it helpful.

Those more experienced than i would probably want to look at your daily food intake to make sure you are getting enough of the good stuff. I'm sure they can give you some advice on maybe slowing down the loss a little, although that may happen naturally.

Well done on giving up the amphs... I am sure that was a challenge, and you should be proud and happy to have lived clean for so long.

Take care
Kim
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:13

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Men

I wouldn't worry about how quickly you are losing the weight.
My husband lost 20 pounds after only 2 weeks and continued 1 pound a day until I beat him for loosing weight faster than I did. Men always loose weight faster. Especially if you've got more than avg. muscle under the extra pounds. Maybe you could think of adding a few more carbs to your diet so you have a little more time taking off those last few pounds. It'll help with maintenance.

Later,
Heather
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:39

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Welcome Mark!!

And congrats on all your achievements!!!

This WOE does improve your mental well being (I used to get depressed quite often and haven't since I started Atkins)

Sounds like you are looking forward to many improvements in your life---- wish you the best of luck with all of them!!

Men do lose weight much quicker than women But why don't you start a journal and post your menus?? ( that way we can peek in on you )

Hope to see more of you on the forum!!!

Ellie
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 05:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/180/170
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I think my weight loss is slowing down. I finally bought myself a bathroom scale, and you know what they say: A watched pot belly never boils. I actually went up a half pound between morning and evening today. Makes me wonder how accurate a cheap scale from Ikea can be.

Menus. . . .I don't really plan that far ahead! Thank goodness I don't need to worry about feeding children or a significant other.

One thing I've been doing is knoshing on cheese and cold cuts throughout the day. Also pork rinds and brazil nuts. If I wake up feeling hungry, I make some eggs and bacon or eggs and sausage, or eat left over steak from the previous evening. Dinner is sometimes steak, sometimes fish, or sometimes eggs and bacon.

There is a Von's supermarket near where I live that seems to get really lovely meats, and they're often on sale. One memorable special they have every so often is London Broil for $1.69/lb. Fish I've been getting at Trader Joe's, which offers "flash frozen" fish for very good prices. I demand my fish be fresh, but when I discovered this stuff at TJ's I was amazed. I guess right after the fish is caught, they cut it up and then use some super fast freezing process. So it really is fresh. I was raised on sashimi, so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about.

With dinner I usually have a salad. I've also been eating cooked spinach with melted butter.

If I'm feeling hungry enough for lunch, or if I'm feeling lazy about dinner, I make a salad with a can of tuna fish.

What else? I got a couple of big bags of Beef Jerky for Xmas, but those are long gone. They probably had more carbs than I thought, but, oh, well. Since then I've taken to reading labels for carb content, and Beef Jerky seems suprisingly high. Low carb bars. . . I bought two kinds at TJs, Atkins and Lo-Carb. Two or two and half grams of carbohydrates per bar. I'd heard that these things taste awful. . . like weird flavored chemicals. Well, they did, but I loved them anyway. I think that's the trick. Don't eat them until you've forgotten what chocolate really tastes like.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 06:34

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Sounds like you're off to a great start. I think you're ready to start a journal. Try this link. It'll take you right to your section.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...une=&forumid=84

You can keep track of your weight loss, menus, and gives us a place to find you. I look forward to reading about your journey.

I've used the low carb bars myself when in a pinch for time. My favorite is choc. peanutbutter. If you get it real cold and eat it upside down it almost tastes like a peanut butter cup. Ok not really. If you are noticing a stall, you'll know right away it's from, the low carb bars. They are known to cause stalls. They have a lot of sugar alcohols which are really hidden carbs.

Take care,
Heather
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 16:49

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Mark!!

You're doing great!!

Just thought I'd pop in and tell you NOT to blame your scale for that 1/2 pound!! I gain about 5 pounds from AM to PM everyday!!!
This is common--- just the weight of the water and food. Thats why its always recommended to weigh at the same time everyday.
Don't get discouraged over it!! Someone posted a while back that they gain even more than me from morning to evening !

Keep up the good work!!!

Are you going to start a journal??

Ellie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 22:00
msnemesis

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

"I gain about 5 pounds from AM to PM everyday!!!
This is common--- just the weight of the water and food. Thats why its always recommended to weigh at the same time everyday. " -EllieEats

Thank goodness, I almost had a heart attack when this happened to me. Luckily I am back down to where I should be, or a pound less, by the next morning.

</waves to Mark>

Welcome to the forum, everyone here is nice and has great advice, and encouragement. Hope you'll stick around for a while =)