Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 185/179.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Keeping an eye on the quality of your carbs.

Like most of you, I have tried low carb and I just couldn't stick with it. I have my reasons, you have yours. So since we are all eating carbs in moderate portions that don't draw so much attention to us, keep in mind that the quality of the carbs you choose are very important. If you do choose to eat rice, try some brown rice, short or long grain, wild rice, couscous or even bulgur. The important thing is that it has retained some of its fiber, i.e. not processed or "white". Same goes for bread. Choose bread that is stone ground and has atleast 2.5 g of fiber per slice. Whole wheat pitas are cool and you can cut them in half and still feel like your having a normal sandwich as opposed to an open faced sandwich which I personally can't tolerate. Always choose fruit as opposed to fruit juice unless your stuck then it's better than a bag of chips! I always plan atleast two dinners a week when there isn't any meat on my plate. For one, its ok to have a light meal for dinner and two, it helps balance out those weekend splurges! This is when I have a bowl of high fiber cereal with some fruit and yogurt or when I have some yummy fried tofu chips or homemade bean salad with a big salad. The GI diet is composed of mainly these guidelines, I am not claiming these ideas as my own. I don't count calories or carbs but watch my portions of meat and carbs and go heavy on the veggies and fruit. The author of the diet suggests dividing your plate into 4, making it easy to add two portions of veggies, a carb and some meat. And of course, what we have all learned, H.2.O is SOOOO important.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 21:44

Plan: The Zone-as much as I can
Stats: 231/165/175 Female 5ft9in
BF:?,33+/24.2/22
Progress: 118%

Very good advice green-tea. Sometimes we all need a little reminder.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just recently switched from trying to get back into doing Atkins to just keeping an eye on the types of carbs that I'm eating. Your advice sounds great! Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 14:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I wish I could do that ... but I have a tendency to overeat and always have. I need some designated portion control that the Zone offers. I am not good at judging portions even when keeping a diet log unless I measure almost everything I eat or follow the Zone eyeball method.

My whole life I have tried to ignore my own body's feelings of hunger that I have no idea how to recognize them anymore. The Zone allows me not to have to worry about that since I am never really hungry.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 08:43
Registered Member

BF:

I don't know exactly what the Zone provides as far as portion wise but GI Diet does have measurements for meat and carbs at meal time. It recommends approximately a half a cup of carbs and similar for protein plus lots of produce at each meal plus three snacks if you are hungry. Mr. Gallop recommends an apple, orange or peach or some protein like low fat/fat free cottage cheese or yogurt for snacks. When you divide your plate with an imaginary line into four sections, this is during a "normal" meal time. It gives you approximately divided portions, 1/2 cup of carbs and meat and the rest in veggie form. So when I said a portion of carb, a portion of protein and two or veggies or fruit, I was refering to the divided plate. There are some foods he suggests you don't eat and some he suggests you eat rarely. He divides that info into three colored sections like traffic lights. Anyway, no matter what you choose to do, Zone or other wise, the quality of the carbs are still important and that was what I was refering to in the original post.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 13:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins& My Own
Stats: 255/249/200 Female 5.7"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I tried Dr. Atkins and it doesn't work..so I am staying with counting carbs..my carbs intake per day is between 30-40 grams a day..

Today is my 12 days in LC and I start seeing the change in me which I wrote it in my journal..

I feel good and I find that this is something I can live with in the long run because it is really not a "Diet" but a healthy living
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-10-04, 12:47
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Lee, I just hope that as a part of your new way of eating that you will be able to get into the habit of not having to count your carbs. I wonder if that would become a burden later, when the novelty wears off? I did Atkins and Body for life and they worked until I got tired of having to keep track of every morcel of food I ingested. I still check labels but try to simply choose carbs that are good for me and don't spike my insulin levels.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 20:34

Plan: InsulinResistanceDiet
Stats: 263/240/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Arrow hi

I've tried Atkins,Zone,weightwatchers,insulin resestance, am now just watching my carb intake as I've taken the best of Atkins,Southbeach,InsulinResentance,Diabetes diet as there really is one for diabetes it is a pain but have to keep track of carb intake protien amount of foods eaten to insulin taken, so am trying to eat better carbs for me as with the lower GI carbs. as is a balance job to do it all but if I don't I pay for it as my B/S raise and the pain in my legs gets unbearable.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-04, 09:58

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 225//140 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 34%
Unhappy Pain in legs

Hi dcostanich,
I'm new to the forum. I am insulin resistant diebetic as well. Only my doctor won't put me on meds. He wants me to do the Atkin's thing. I've been trying for a year but it isn't easy. How ever I do notice when I eat wrong carbs at a weak moment, the next day my legs hurt. This will last for up to 3 days or until I've avoided carbs for three days. Is there an explanation for this.
Cheryl

Last edited by Cheryl C. : Sun, Aug-29-04 at 10:01. Reason: spelling grammar