Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 19:15

Plan: 15 CARBS AND BELOW A DAY
Stats: 264/173/150
BF:
Progress: 80%
Question Calories a Day....

Hi Everyone,
I am not new to lowcarbing but I have sort of winged it from the start, never paying attention to calorie intake or anything, and watching only my carb and fat intake. Does anyone seem to know what is the average calorie intake one should have on this WOE. Just wondering. Like should we be having 1000 calories a day, 1200? I have never gone over 15 carbs a day and stayed under 1000 calories but I am trying to lose this last 30lbs and want to supercharge it since I am coming out of a stall. Any idea's? Thanks and this is a GREAT site!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 01:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have to tell you this because I'm afraid for you: Eating 15 grams or less may thwart you in the long run unless you plan to eat that way for the rest of your life. And 1000 calories a day will damage you. Your body will start using- and probably already has - it's muscle mass for fuel if you eat this low and excercise vigorously to boot.

What happens? Weight loss will halt because your body thinks it's starving. It will continue to hold on to fat while canibalizing your muscle mass.

You need a certain amount of calories for basic functions. 1000 is Ok if you weigh 80-100 pounds.

This is from Dr. Atkins revised edition:

Misconception:You can do Atkins while following a low fat regimen.
Reality:To encourage your body to burn its own stores of fat, you need to reduce the amount of carbohydrates you eat, meaning you have to eat primarily foods rich in protein and fat. Remember that essential fatty acids play a role in normal metabolic function. Fat also plays a role in stabilizing blood sugar and increasing satiety. If fat intake is too low, you will not burn fat aggressively. Moreover, excess protein converts to glucose and can keep fat from becoming primary fuel.

I know you're high on your weight loss and new found hope but please! Do yourself a big favour and pick up a copy of Protein Power or Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. You deserve it!

In the meantime, read these links.

Fat and Keeping
Calories Up

More on Fat and Keeping Calories Up

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 01:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

Most of the plans do not encourage counting calories. Personally I have found that they do matter -but being in ketosis stops you feeling hungry and you usually end up eating less calories. Calvin Ezrin in "Your Fat Can Make you Thin" does advocate counting calories - he recommends 1000 per day for rapid weight loss together with 30g carbs. I think it really depends on which plan you are following.

I really recommend you get one of the books and read the theory it is very worth while. You can check the different plans here where there have been some useful write ups of them. Click on 'which plan is right for me?'
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 01:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

We must have been replying at the same moment Karen - I agree with you about the 1000 calories a day. It is too few except for short periods.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 08:20

Plan: 15 CARBS AND BELOW A DAY
Stats: 264/173/150
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default THANKS!

Thank you ladies for the info on Calorie intake. I will need to up it I agree. That will probably help me more as I surely don't want to be this close to goal and my body shuts down. I apprecaite all the great help and support here. Sincerely *T*