Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 21:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%

Gracie,
I am on day 3 of induction and am feeling horrible. This is not my first time on atkins, but this is the worst that I have ever felt after going on induction. I can't eat, Im going to try some jello in a few mins, this morn I was lucky to eat 2 eggs and had a peice of chicken for lunch.. since then I have been stuck on the couch being quite cranky to my kids.. bed time is just around the corner Im hoping that tommorrow will be better...

How are you finding induction? besides the withdrawl effects....

I better run and get my kidletts to bed...

Tawnya
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 15:27

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hey Mdx.....
Stopped at the store today and looked at the peanut butter.
The only one I found that was natural and without the sugar or hydrogenated oils, was 7 carbs for 2 Tablespoons. Thats way more than I want to add in at this point so I'll have to wait on it.
What peanut butter are you using??? And how many carbs in it??

Thanks!
Ellie
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:08

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Wink To tlcdoula

Hi Tawnya,

You know, like you I felt horrible--shaky, weird, weak--up until about the 3rd day. Then magically I just started feeling normal again. Strangely, working out helped alot, I'm not sure why; it was really bad while I did it, but afterwards it was like my body had figured out how it was supposed to work. I guess it basically forced my body to began actively using my fat to burn rather than carbs. Food on the other hand was different. I find NOW that I have to force myself to eat....the first few days I was physically craving bread and chocolate and then ended up stuffing my face with Free foods instead (mostly cheese, yummy).

KNowing that I have to get 1800 calories (AT LEAST!) in my body makes it hard. I find myself adding butter and olive oil to everything. And strangely, this insane self-discipline just came out of nowhere....I kind of like having it around

Good luck Tawnya! YOu'll feel better soon.....

Grace

#19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 18:07

BF:
Smile Feeling way better today..

Hi Grace,
Today is so much better... I woke up feeling gross but had a shower ate a protein shake and then went for a drive to another town about 40 mins away.. I felt so much better after getting out in the fresh air. I am going to goto the gym tommorrow and hopefully get back to normal. I actually was able to eat lunch today, we took the kids to Burger King and I had a whopper with no bun and no ketchup. Probobly a few to many carbs but im feeling better...

I also lost 2 more lbs today.. this is why I love this wol its nice to see the scale move..

How has today been for you? What work out do you do? Ive been going to the gym, doing alot of cardio and have to start back on the weights...

Take Care

Tawnya
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 20:30

Plan: atkins/PP/my own
Stats: 180/133/140
BF:sz 14/4-6/toned 4
Progress: 118%
Talking

Hi Tawnya!

I'm glad you're feeling better. It's hard to keep your resolve when you feel like crap isn't it?

I'm not sure if I've lost any weight yet, I feel like I have, but I don't own a scale and I got my period today (which always bloats me out) so I can't know for sure. I'm excited to see in 4 or 5 days where I'm at! I'm just itching to throw on my Size 11 skinny jeans. Yippee!

As for the gym, I'm not really hard core. I go to my college's gym about 3-4 times a week. Usually I weight train for only 20 minutes (including abs on the big ball.....makes doing crunches *almost* fun) and whatever I feel like. I like to just exercise the muscles that I can't at home, since I own some 8 pound dumbells, and try to do exercises while I watch TV. I like to do 2 things at once! After weights I jump on the elliptical trainer for 30 minutes, often longer if somebody else doesn't kick me off it. I also bike just about everywhere here in town (I have a car, but its an old clunker and parking is the pits over here--besides, biking is fun).

I was never an athletic person until recently. Ironically, I find it the only thing that helps me maintain my weight nowadays....and it feels good

What kind of aerobics do you do? Just curious.

Have a good night,
Grace
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 23:42

BF:

Good evening Grace!

What I was doing before I slacked off on the gym was -- 25 mins on the elpitical and then my weights, I was doing machines but they changed my program to free weights, the problem with it is they seem to hurt my wrist ( i have carpel tunnel) then I would do 35 min on the treadmill. The last times I have gone I did 10 mins on the bike, just because it was to busy.. then 15 mins on the eliptical (that month off really does make you start over) and then another 20 mins on the treadmill. One night I did do weights but they were the machines.. I think I am going to try to tod an hour in total of cardio and some weights each night.. maybe alternate lower body and upper body. I will have to work my way back up to an hour though...

Tawnya
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 17:09
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/154/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default no sleep

Gracie, I had that problem, no sleep, the first time on adkins. I was up for two nights cleaning my apt. I was bouncing off the walls. But after those two days I was fine. This time around it didn't bother me. You'll fall asleep . As soon as your body calms down from all the new energy it's rewarded with on LC.
Hugs.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 12:43

Stats: 150/143.3/138 Female 5'5"
BF:27.9
Progress: 56%
Unhappy Sleepless nights

I've been LCing for about 2 months and haven't had many problems but a few days ago, I was very shakey and whoozy. i wanted to lay down all day becasue my metabolism was so low. I did not cheat but considered it. But then, when I got to bed, I could not sleep. So strange consideringhow i had felt all day. I didn't fall asleep till about 5am and then was up by 6;30. I was fearful that the new day would be just miserable. Not surprisingly, I had lost a pound, but I was surprised to discover that I felt much better. I had no troubles all day, went to bed at 10 and slept beautifully. It sounds like there are many people who experience sleeplessness during induction or the first two weeks. Does anyone have trouble later? Is this something I should just expect? Does anyone else have sleeplessness after a miserably low day?
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: modified atksin
Stats: 309/290/135
BF:
Progress: 11%

hey chilly, looks like this forum hasn't been used in a while unless i am looking at it wrong.

i am going through the sleepless thing also but i remember it from last time. it will end soon. i believe what others say that it is from all the energy we are getting.

i also had the sickness thing about day 4 or 5 the first time around but it also passed quickly. good luck,
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 16:00

MdxGirl, Sorry to hear your also experienceing the sleeplessness. I wish i could say I'm experiencing the energy boost but not this go around. I've been a little lower than I was the last time I tried LC. But this too shall pass. I'm trying to expand my diet a little more. Sometimes I get in rut and eat the same stuff for a while and that's not nutritionally sound. That's probably why I'm a bit on the low side. (or it could just be my age acting up again ) Sometimes I try to do too much.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 16:01

Stats: 266/237/200 Male 6'5"
BF:35/29/20
Progress: 44%
Default Ketosis dreams

I'm just returning to this group after an absence of a few months, and this thread caught my eye.

I'm slightly surprised nobody has mentioned the phenomenon of the "ketosis dream" -- those weird, hyper-surreal dreams that, in my case at any rate, confirm that you are in ketosis better than any stick you pee on.

FWIW, I find I sleep like a baby since I went LC -- but those dreams! Oh boy!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 08:49

Default Dreams

I wonder if it's that we're dreaming more intensely, or that we're sleeping so lightly that we remember our dreams better. Just last night, I had another nearly sleepless night. I would doze off and wake up within 30 minutes and then be awake for an hour till I dozed off again. This repeated all night long. I recall dreaming about chipmonks at least once! How weird is that? This is definately unusual for me as I am normally an extremely deep sleeper. I didn't even wake up one night when our smoke alarm went off. I am attributing this new sleep pattern to the diet as there is no stress in my life right now, in fact things have never been better for us! It's just an excess of energy and it keeps you up! Yesterday, I was very energized. I ran two of my teenagers into the ground and I was still cookin' . That's a nice feeling for a change. I can handle a few sleepless nights for that! And I am sure that tonight, I will sleep like a baby and won't remember a single dream.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 06:25

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Default ...back to the sleep topic...

This info nothing profound & may be all stuff you know already:

Cal / Mag tabs before you go to bed at night is known as a great sleep inducer. I usually take 2 upon going to bed.

5-HTP is known to help the quality of your sleep (helps if you tend to wake up several times during the night & / or have problems falling back to sleep again once awaken). I take one of those too.

Caffeine, for many folks, takes around 4 - 6 hours to exit the body (meaning it's 'stimulant' effect is usually over by then). However, there are some folks with just the right chemistry that takes up to 24 hours before all the caffeine leaves the body. Remember that not only green tea contains caffeine, but so does decaf. coffee (packaging usually says that it's "97% caffeine free" ...so how much caffeine does that leave in decaf coffee? There's 3% left in of what number? ....3% of 100 units? 3% of 1000 units?)

-maybe some more of you can add to this list of "Sleep Tips"
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 07:21

Default caffeine

Thanks for the info on the cal/mag I will try it. Especially as you can never have too much calcium. I do know that I am a drug sensitive person so I have to be mindful of my caffeine intake. I know I can not tolerate it after 4pm in any quantity and I drink only 50/50 coffee at breakfast.

What is 5-HTP?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 10:22

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:

Quote:
What is 5-HTP?

5-Hydroxytriptophan is a supplement very similar to L-Triptophan (a substance that's found in ie: milk, that helps a person to sleep ...you've heard folks saying "drink some warm milk before going to bed to help you sleep" )

There's also other properties 5-HTP has going for it. Dr. R. Atkins recommends this supplement in his book "VitaNutrient Solution" for sleeping purposes. Throughout the forum you can read references to this supplement on different threads. One good thread is:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&highlight=5HTP

....you may find some other threads too.